Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently found myself doing lots of driving at night. Where I live there are lots of deer and hitting them is a quite often occurrence, in fact, that's what happened to my previous vehicle. I am wondering if the Nissan or aftermarket grill guards would actually protect the front end from a collision with a deer? I am talking about the full size guards that bolt to the frame and come up to the hood. Does anyone have any experience with grill guards and deer? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-S

·
Registered
185 Posts
my friend and i just installed on his ranger and took a roadtrip to colorado where deer are a common occurance on roads at night. Although the grille guard MAY protect you in a low speed impact, the grille guard becomes effectively useless in protecting the car in a 40-50mph crash

nevertheless, theres lots of options out there for the fronter, just google "nissan frontier grille guard" or ask one of the forum sponsors who might sell em

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
If you are looking for real protection, you are better off getting a full replacement bumper. Grille guards won't do much to limit damage (I am not an expert, just my opinion), but a replacement bumper will. KMA, ARB (I believe they make one for 2nd Gens) and Shrockworks are the only companies I am aware of that make a bumper for us.

At shrockworks.com, there is a review of a guy that claimed to hit two deer at one time with his Shrock bumper and sustained no damage.

These bumpers are expensive, but worth it as a preventative measure to protect your vehicle. This is just my opinion....if hitting deer is as frequent where you live as you say, it may be well worth it to look into one of these....plus they work great if you go offroad.

Hopefully someone more educated in grille guards vs. FRBs will chime in. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think most data actually suggests that the impact with a regular oem style brush guard will indeed cause more damage than if there was not one installed at all. This tends to be the case with "lower" speed to higher speed impacts. You will probably find that at high speed, the guard won't do much to help or hinder damage (Like 45mph and above) and the same amount of carnage will occur regardless. Lower speed impacts they say (15-30 mph) are going to cause more damage because the brush guards aren't made to resist that sort of an impact. They will actually fold back into the front of the truck and cause additional damage to supports and cross structures. The brush guards are really designed for deflecting and preventing damage when driving through brush, past tree branches, over grown fields, etc. The brush guards are only attached at the lower front frame area and where the tow hooks would mount. There is no structure or support any higher that helps to hold the guard off of the front of the truck. So any impact along the guard will cause it to fold or collapse at the point of mounting, which are low on the front, and would cause the whole thing to push back into the truck since the force would be spread over that larger area. So if you hit a deer on one corner, instead of a normal non guard truck sustaining damage to just the corner, the entire guard would push back along the front of the vehicle, causing reciprocal damage to the other side too.

The best option as mentioned above is go with a full bumper replacement with one of the heavy duty off road styles. They are built to practically withstand the entire weight of the vehicle on it. I have the OEM brush guard on mine simply as help when I am out at our hunting club because of the overgrown conditions of it, and I am never moving faster than 5-10mph along the "roads".

·
Registered
509 Posts
So I have the aries brush guard and like most have said thus far it'll prolly do more damage than good. The aries one attaches at the base under the frame and wraps up the front and sits off about 2-3 inches, at the top there are 2 supports, one on each side, that screw in to the body under the hood. the supports definitely help keep it stable but the way they are made I'm pretty sure in a crash they'll prolly end up cracking both the light housings. Not to mention when you put one of these on you lose your recovery hook in the front, that's the one thing I'm most unhappy with...just praying I can always get pulled out from the back :D

In retrospect I would've waited and just gone with one of the bumpers others have mentioned, would be much stronger and offer alot more protection, plus it just looks alot more bada$$...they're just a little expensive. The aries aesthetically looks great and is alot cheaper than westin or some of the others, I can get you pics if you wanna see. Good luck with the hunt!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts