Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I tried the search and couldn't find too much information.

So for starters... today me and my wife were an argument. As I was accelerating onto the freeway she pushed my hand off her lap knocking the tranny from D to N... I waited a second for the rev to go down and put it back into D thinking everything was golden.

Here is where the issue started... We get down the road off the free way and go to make a left hand turn (bout a 90 degree angle) And start feeling these jerkie noises like the diff is slipping. We keep going and it appears every corner it makes this loud knocking. Only on corners great than 65 degrees or so.

I'm trying to find out what's going on here... I had a few people look and the say you can see it slipping.

Maybe a mount or U-joint out? Hopefully this isn't too big of an issue like gears or such. Also how dangerous to drive on this?

Thanks for the help

Also for help I have a nismo so the locking diff

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like it's possibly not moving and making the loud click was how I understood it... Like it wasnt staying engaged

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Sounds exactly like (not saying it is this) when my u joint broke. It sounded like I blew something apart and felt like it was slipping. Climb under the truck and see what happens when you shake and rotate the driveshaft.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So bad news for the truck... brought it to a mechanic and they said the spider gears are out. Their are minimal shavings in the bottom. He was trying to talk me into replacing all bearings and everything on the axle or to replacing the whole axle. I wanted them to just change out the gears.

That would work right?

I have 2.93 gears 47/16 right now... I told them I want to throw in 3.69 48/13 gears and they started acting stupid. Like they couldn't accommodate that but if I get the gears they'd install it for me.

How/Where can I get those gears? Can I just replace gears? What labor rate should I be paying for that without being ripped off?

Any advice would be awesome.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
So bad news for the truck... brought it to a mechanic and they said the spider gears are out. Their are minimal shavings in the bottom. He was trying to talk me into replacing all bearings and everything on the axle or to replacing the whole axle. I wanted them to just change out the gears.

That would work right?

I have 2.93 gears 47/16 right now... I told them I want to throw in 3.69 48/13 gears and they started acting stupid. Like they couldn't accommodate that but if I get the gears they'd install it for me.

How/Where can I get those gears? Can I just replace gears? What labor rate should I be paying for that without being ripped off?

Any advice would be awesome.
Nissan only sells the diff as an assembly. If any of the gears (r/p, spiders, side, etc...) go out, you are effed.

You can search down a junkyard diff and possibly take some parts from that or see if a Titan owner that has installed a TT will sell you his center section but that is about it.

Once you disturbe the axle shafts or anything, you should replace the bearings and seals as then do wear out.

For the gears, your best bet is to get the 3.73s that are out on 4x4parts.com. That will probably be better and cheaper then getting a used Nissan set.

For labor, its hard to say. If they are rebuilding the center and then doing a r/p and then doing bearings/seals, it all adds up. May just want to look for a kc Nismo 6m diff. Probably pick one up for 500-800 and will be 3.69 and cheaper then rebuilding yours.

Have you looked into the ARB set-up? Run 3.73s or 4.11s or 4.56 (if they are out) and have a true bulletproof locker.:sickly:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Im hard pressed to believe that, even at free way speeds, you jammed up your spider gears from going into neutral and then back into drive after the rev went down... maybe its coincidence and these two events aren't related?

Might want to get a second opinion, at least i would if it was me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah don't believe a neutral drop would do that. My guess is that the gears were already cracked and the extra umph broke them off. I found a rebuild kit on 4x4parts with 3.73 gears and a true trac system.... comes with all bearings and everything. Looks like that's the route I'll be going.

When they had the cover off they showed me the pieces..... 5 of which were bigger than a 1/2inch.

No bueno.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Oof Ouch! thats a real sucker. I ... absolutely am a little terrified for this to happen to me, hoping it doesn't. Running the same diff, planning on taking my truck to moab, i'm not a crazy goer though, no jumps and burning out or full throttle climbing for me. Stupid nissan doesn't carry the gears separately.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Are you sure the TT is the correct center section for the type of wheeling you do? It is an LSD, not a locker so it may not be the best in the rocks or slow crawling areas. This is why I mentioned ARB to you since you sig pic is climbing up some rocks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was going to do the TT because 4x4parts has a good deal for gears, a TT and everything to rebuild the axle (all bearings and such) at about $945.

But now that I found a better deal I think I'm going to go with that.... they have a 4:11 gear set with all bearings to rebuild the whole axle at $390. Go from 2:96 to 4:11s. For now financially that is the best option for me.

I was looking at TT cause I live in the snow and thought it might work well in snow... but for now I still with my electronic setup and maybe look into ARB down the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts