Nissan Frontier Forum banner

101 - 120 of 260 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Haha I like how it looks! Its been all I can do to not get some lugs myself. Then here I go "just looking" then all of a sudden I have a bunch on my watch list. I tossed the idea of the spiked lugs around a bit, then colored then I convince myself I dont NEED them but it would look cool lol

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Haha I like how it looks! Its been all I can do to not get some lugs myself. Then here I go "just looking" then all of a sudden I have a bunch on my watch list. I tossed the idea of the spiked lugs around a bit, then colored then I convince myself I dont NEED them but it would look cool lol
:lol: That's exactly where my mindset was...had all but talked myself out of them...at least for now, then someone, I won't mention who...peaked my interest again, and dammit, there I was again...entering my credit card info...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Its crazy how much that different center cap makes me like those wheels, I can't stand them with the original big center cap but I love the look with yours. Any comments on the manifold spacer?

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #106 (Edited)
Just a quick stop at home to grab a couple sunlit pictures before work...meant to grab some 'sunny outside but shaded' pictures, but I gotta head in...still...love 'em!

These ones in particular
I was looking at some of those, just didn't think Charles was a spiky kind of truck, lol. Still though, some of those look pretty damn slick! Eager to see what you come up with!

Its crazy how much that different center cap makes me like those wheels, I can't stand them with the original big center cap but I love the look with yours. Any comments on the manifold spacer?
I must've glazed over these rim half a dozen times in disgust, that standard center cap just looked like poo to me. Then I happened to catch them with the alternates and thought "damn those look nice!"...it was only later I realized I was looking at the same rims...with swapped caps. The smaller ones sure make a huge difference...love 'em!

As for the spacer...I like it. It was a little trickier to install than I thought it would be, but that is because for some reason I decided to lose the tool I needed to pull a couple posts out...but that was my own doing, nothing with the spacer. I feel like I am still in that "oh my gosh, I have something new on my truck! Vroom, vroom! I are racer now!" phase so I don't want to give an unfair review, not to mention aside from a couple grocery store trips the furthest I have gone is to work...about two blocks. However....so far, feels like a bit of an improvement...I'll give the "something new is under the hood, must mean more horsies!" placebo effect a bit of time to wear off before I fully commit to my thoughts on it. :lol:

Also did some digging on exhaust...actually debating going dual-in, single-out now...single exhaust in front of the rear wheel type scenario...hard to say. I hate being indecisive...

·
Registered
409 Posts
I am still tossing the idea around, most of the ones I am finding are aluminum I would be more comfortable with steel I think IDK maybe I have this phobia about aluminum not being as strong and thinking it will break too easily

·
Registered
201 Posts
I must've glazed over these rim half a dozen times in disgust, that standard center cap just looked like poo to me. Then I happened to catch them with the alternates and thought "damn those look nice!"...it was only later I realized I was looking at the same rims...with swapped caps. The smaller ones sure make a huge difference...love 'em!

As for the spacer...I like it. It was a little trickier to install than I thought it would be, but that is because for some reason I decided to lose the tool I needed to pull a couple posts out...but that was my own doing, nothing with the spacer. I feel like I am still in that "oh my gosh, I have something new on my truck! Vroom, vroom! I are racer now!" phase so I don't want to give an unfair review, not to mention aside from a couple grocery store trips the furthest I have gone is to work...about two blocks. However....so far, feels like a bit of an improvement...I'll give the "something new is under the hood, must mean more horsies!" placebo effect a bit of time to wear off before I fully commit to my thoughts on it. :lol:

Also did some digging on exhaust...actually debating going dual-in, single-out now...single exhaust in front of the rear wheel type scenario...hard to say. I hate being indecisive...
Glad we both have the same wheel thoughts haha. Thanks for being logical on your initial assessment with the spacer. I'm curious to see how you like it as time goes on.

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
TBS≠IMS, right?

Deez colored lug nutz...intriguing!

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
TBS≠IMS, right?

Deez colored lug nutz...intriguing!
Correct, I don't think I want to go with a throttle body spacer, heard too many risks, and I'm paranoid enough, lol.

Glad we both have the same wheel thoughts haha. Thanks for being logical on your initial assessment with the spacer. I'm curious to see how you like it as time goes on.
As am I... I'll be sure to let ya know!

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I meant to post on this earlier, but it's been a hectic week plus I am trying to catalog a few sounds. By that, of course, I am talking about the fact that I have an appointment this week to install the new exhaust (muffler, Y pipe elimination and piping...) and I want a complete set of "before and after" comparisons to share with the group. Including such favorites as "Cold/warm start-up", "Hard acceleration", "Drive-by", "Highway speed interior drone" and everything in between, both interior sound and exterior. Anyway...

I have had the XTP IMS installed for a bit now and the novelty of 'something new' has worn off enough I feel I can accurately give my two cents...

Purchasing
Easy to find. Decent 'member's price' overall. Shipped much faster than anticipated. Packaged decently.

Install
This would have been a breeze, if I had checked my tool box first. I was missing the required socket for a couple bolts...but once I had the proper tool...this was a piece of cake. You're emailed instructions, just in case...and the videos are actually fairly helpful. If you've changed your own spark plugs (and removed the intake to do so), you've already got this mastered.

Benefits...or something
When I step on the gas, I can tell a difference. It's not a "throw me back in the seat with a risk of whiplash" kind of difference, but you notice it. Generally I feel it mostly in the mid range...with some slight oomph at various other RPM ranges...but seems to feel mostly mid...maybe a tad more in the high. I have not towed anything since installing it, but I do feel like it'll give it a bit there, maybe prevent so much shifting on the hills while towing.

Thoughts
Pros definitely outweigh the cons here, in fact, I have yet to come across any cons, except I find myself punching it a wee more than I used to, so I have seen my gas mileage fluctuate a bit more. When I behave myself, however, it doesn't seem to affect mpg too detrimentally. Overall...easy install, and well worth the benefits considering it's a simple bolt-on addition. Anyone on the fence...I would advise to go for it.

TL;DR: Exhaust install update coming with sound clips and go buy yourself an XTP IMS.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Well...the exhaust is in! Still has that "freshly installed exhaust" smell...you know, that 'burning WD-40' type nastiness, but should pass in a couple days...always hate that. I tried to do as much documenting as I could for anyone curious...so first, since I am sure that so many of you haven't seen what stock exhaust looks like...with it's horrible "Y" pipe...

I went with a Flowmaster 50 series dual-in (2.25) single-out (3.0) muffler and had a local shop install the new pipe. All stainless (I do live in salt country, after all) and painted black, for my own OCD reasons. The tip comes out pre-axle, just after the step on the passenger side...

My truck is a bit dirty, as usual, but I think all cleaned up (or at least 'universally dirty') and it'll match up nicely.

My thoughts so far...well, it is definitely louder than stock. It's actually a little louder than I expected, but honestly I think that is due to placement of the tip. At first the bit of drone I was getting inside was a little disheartening, but once it is up to speed and I am cruising at a comfy RPM, it's actually quite mellow. I think if anything it is just that I was so used to the stock that the slightest noise threw me off. With my radio up just a touch...I hardly even notice it...and that's only after a day and a half of driving, so I am sure after a week or so I won't even pay attention to it.

I did take the time to document some sound clips and put them together in a comparison video. Of course I say video, but since 90% of the footage I shot was at night...all you get are the sound clips. But hey...that's what is important. It was recorded using a cell phone, so naturally the recording quality is just horrible, but I did my best to get as good as I could...with a cell phone. I used an external mic strategically placed for the recordings, but naturally (which of course I only noticed after I imported all of the clips) some of the videos seem to have switched the 'external mic' to 'internal' and you can tell the sound quality sucked on those clips. Ah well, hopefully you can get the idea, anyway.

Internal recordings were taken with the mic placed in the middle of the cab at about headrest height. External recordings (where the truck was stationary) were taken from the passenger side of the truck (exhaust side), about 30 feet away at just about exhaust level. External driving recordings (where the truck moved past the mic) were taken from the shoulder of the road (just a few feet from the passing truck)...again, at exhaust height...on the exhaust side (passenger).

I did notice that on my 'drone' tests, I failed to turn off the heater fan...and unfortunately, you can hear that in the background. Without further delay...here's the 'video'...which is about five and a half minutes of sound clip comparisons...

https://youtu.be/ZBzrXZc3IKM

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Alright...so I decided to work on the mounting system for my toolbox. When I went browsing for a box I had a few stipulations...it had to fit between the wheel wells yet still be wide enough to span the utili-track, it had to be low enough to tuck under the upper track, not so deep that I couldn't have bikes in the bed and of course big enough to hold everything I want to keep in the truck (my exterior supply post is coming soon...I hope). Black would be nice, but it wasn't necessarily a requirement...luckily, I found a box that seems to fit the bill.

For the moment, the only stuff inside is all the supplies I need to build the box into the bed. I have some metal strips, rollers...the company I work for goes through quite a bit of HDPE, so I grabbed some of that and a few other miscellaneous items...

I wanted the box to be able to tuck up to the front of the bed but roll to the edge when I was working on something. For this I am going to add some rollers and a guiding system that fits into the utili-track. So, first I marked out some holes for the rolling system.

I cut down the strips for the guides. The final design will have an "I-beam" look to it.

This is about the order that everything went in. everything sandwiched together.

To keep the clearance as low as possible I am using rivet nuts in the bottom strip.

before mounting everything up, for my own OCD sanity, I painted the holes I had just drilled.

...and got everything all mounted up. I may have went a little overkill on the rollers, but I would rather be sure I have enough to support the weight.

Everything looks nice and clean from the inside.

A loose test-fit just to make sure that everything fits. When it's all tightened the design of the bed actually keeps the box from falling out of the bed, so in order to remove the box completely, I have to loosen the guides.

Even though I know it is going to wear off rapidly, I decided to paint the front of the beams so they were not so much of an eyesore.

I grabbed a handful of washers and did the final leveling and clearance on the guides.

...then it was time to just throw a bunch of random heavy stuff in the box and see how well it rolls. Fully loaded it does take a little bit of effort to move it to the edge of the bed, but I think with a little more tweaking I will be able to clear that up. If not, it's not like it takes too much effort, just more than I expected.

...all tucked in, it fits just about as perfectly as I had hoped.

"But wait," I hear you all exclaim, "won't that box just roll around when you step on the gas!?" Never fear, I thought of that as well. First, I want to add a little protection, so I threw some bump stops on the back of the box and cut off the bolts on the inside and smoothed them out to avoid any unintentional issues when reaching in for a tool.

Now, to keep the box at the front of the bed, I have a very sophisticated plan in place...first, a few rivet nuts on the box and in the bed...

...and then to mount up my super secret weapon for holding the box in place...yep, that's a gate latch...

...works like a charm. The box slides into it, locks it in place and then I just flip the level to pull it away and open it up...

Finally, just to protect anything I may throw in the box, I decided to use up some spare automotive carpet I had laying around.

This is as far as the box will roll unless you loosen the slides. The small upward lip at the back of the bed catches the wheels and the slides are too "tight" to allow the box to lift and roll up and out...

Loaded it up again, and time for the final test...

Sure enough, the bikes latch in without any issues!

Plenty of clearance so I will still be able to keep the box in the bed, load up the bikes and kayaks, and hit the road...

Now I just have to figure up how I want to organize everything in the box. Fist I am going to put my complete kit together, lay it out, and get all kinds of OCD on this thing. Luckily, I have a secret weapon ready to go...

I also took a few minutes between steps today to throw some layers of paint on the Hellas...

I didn't put them back together yet as I want the paint to be fully dried before I do so, but mounting those will probably happen the same time I mount the winch, secondary KCs and various other front-end stuff...

...a rather productive day.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Took advantage of the fact that once again, it's shockingly warm up here. Got the new CAI installed. I decided to hack up the stock intake so I could give it a little cleaner look under the hood...

...also took a few minutes to reassemble the Hellas and extend the wires on the stock horns so everything will be ready to install when I tear apart the front end...

101 - 120 of 260 Posts