Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I may as well get ahead of the truck before I bury myself in mods.

Obligatory "day he came home" pics, don't mind the out-of-focus hand holding a stick in the first image, it was how I Facebook'd that I got a new truck...went on a rant about this "strange object" I found and how I was trying to determine what it was, went on for a while and posted the picture saying "here, look at this strange object! Oh, by the way, I got a new truck..."

Anyway, on with the build!

Username: Graidian
Year: 2012
Make: Nissan
Model: Frontier
Trim: Pro 4X
Color: Black
Truck's Name: Charles (Professor X)

Interior Accesories

[#][$] Aukey DR-01 Dash Cam
[#][$] DP DZ701 7-Inch Overhead Monitor
[
#][$] Tekonsha 90195 P3 Brake Control
[#] Truck Kit (Interior)
[#][$] Uniden PRO510XL CB
Interior Electrical

[#] Accessory Overhead Switch Panel
[#][$] Blue In-Door-Pocket Lighting
[#][$] 'Courtesy Horn' button
[#] Fuse Block [*]
[#][$] iRULU 800W Power Inverter
[#][$] Rear Seat USB Charging Ports
Interior Modifications

[#] 'Always-On' Power Outlets
[#][W] Interior LED Color Swap
[#] Window Tint (Front 20%)
Interior Upgrades

[#][$] Blue Dome Lights
[#][$] Cup Holder Inserts
[#][$] JVC KW-V320BT Head Unit
[#][$] VanPro Overhead Mic
Exterior Accessories

[#][$] Black Horse Grill Guard
[
#][$] Cipa 11950 Clip-On Towing Mirror
[#][$] DNA Motoring Rolling Tool Box
[#][$] Esky Reverse Camera [
*]
[#][$] MaxMate Side Steps [*]
[#][$] MaxMate Taillight Guards
[#][$] Micephon Fire Extinguisher Utili-Track Mount
[
#][$] Natika Backup/Front View Camera
[
#][$] Putco 2290 Frontier Roof Brackets
[#][$] Rally Armor Mud Flaps
[#][$] Smittybilt 54" Jack
[#][$] Smittybilt 98495 XRC Winch
[#] Truck Kit (Exterior)
[#][$] Tyger Side Steps
Exterior Electrical

[#][$] Anderson Plug
[#][W] Big 3 2 Upgrade
[#][$] Blue Under-Body Lighting
[#][$] Blue Under-Door Lighting
[#][$] Exide 24FX Global Extreme Battery [*]
[#][$] KC 4" Rally LED Side/Ditch Lights
[
#][$] KC 6" Pro-Sport HID Spot Lights
[
#][$] KC 6" SlimLights [*]
[
#][$] Nilight 52" 300W Curved LED Light Bar
[
#][$] Optima 8014-045 D34/78 YellowTop Battery
[
#][$] VLEDs VLR-3 Anti-Hyperflashing Resistor
[
#][$] White Courtesy Lighting (Hood and Bed)
Exterior Modifications

[#] Axle Vent Mod
[
#] Fog Light Bypass
[
#][W] Grill Mesh Inserts [*]
[
#] MagnaFlow Pre-Axle Black Exhaust Tip
[
#][$] Off-Road Gorilla Hood Struts
[
#][$] Power Tailgate Lock
[
#] Rear Recovery Points
[
#] Remove Front Bumper Lower Valance
[
#] Strip/Blackout Emblems, Decals and Badges
[
#] Trailer Plug Relocated
[
#] Utilitrack Jack Drop-Mount
Exterior Upgrades

[#][$] AntennaX Off-Road Stubby Antenna
[
#][$] Auxito LED Bulbs (Miscellaneous Lights)
[
#][$] Beamtech H3 LED Bulbs (4" KC Lights)
[
#][$] Beamtech H11 LED Bulbs (Fog Lights)
[
#][$] Curt 58150 Trailer Connector
[
#][$] Cutequeen Blue LED Bulbs (Interior Lights)
[
#][$] DD Amber, 310 Lumens LED Bulbs (Rear Turn)
[
#][$] DD Switchback, 410 Lumens LED Bulbs (Front Turn)
[
#][$] Hella 012010801 Blue Trumpet Horns
[
#][$] Hella M26S Sharp Tones [*]
[
#][$] Hopkins 48470 Trailer Connector [*]
[
#][$] JDM Astar LED Bulbs (Reverse Lights)
[
#][$] Kafeek 3157CK LED Bulbs (Brake Lights)
[
#][$] Katana 9007 LED Bulbs (Headlights)
[
#][$] VIPMotoZ Burgundy Smoked Taillights
[
#][$] WAM 'Hidden' Winch Bumper
Engine and Mechanical

[#][$] Flowmaster 8524553 Super 50 Muffler [*]
[
#][$] Flowmaster 524703 70 Series Muffler
[
#][$] Volant 12640 Cold Air Intake
[
#][$][R] XTP Intake Manifold Spacer
Suspension and Tires

[#][$] Bilstein 5100 Series Shock Kit
[
#][$] Circuit Performance Blue Lugs
[#][$] Dorman OE Solutions Leaf Spring Shackle
[
#][$] Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 285/75R16 Tires
[#][$] KYB SM5699 Strut Mount Kit
[#][$] General Springs HD Leaf Springs
[
#][$] MB TKO Rims (Alternate Center Caps)
[#][$] Nisstec 1" Lift Top Plates with Longer Studs
[
#][$][R] POR-15 Painted Calipers
[
#] Removed Sway Bar
[
#][$] Rough Country 1½" Rear Shackle Lift [*]
[#][$] SPC Performance 25540 UCAs
[
#][$] Supreme Suspensions 2½" Front Spacer Lift [*]
In-Progress Items

[$] Wheel well Under-Body/Rock Lights
Rewiring of Custom Accessories
Custom Relay/Fuse Panel
Rear Facing Traffic Advisory Bar
Upcoming Project Ideas

U-POL for Grill/Taillight Guards and Roof Rack
Paint Exterior Trim Pieces
Blue Color Accents
Come-Along Mount
Engine Color Accents
Fog Light Upgrade
Lighting (Glove-box, Courtesy)
Removal of Tailgate Badge
Sequence amber strip turn signal (maybe, haven't decided)
[Post][Purchase][Read Review][Write-Up][Updates]

Latest Image(s): Winch and Light Bar Installed 5/19/2019
Previous "Latest" Images: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Literally just pulled in the driveway and unpacked from our camping trip, but I've got a garage full of parts that were delivered in my absence...so, yes, a few plans ;) So far though, just a few modifications...but I can feel the addiction setting in...

I prefer a little "cleaner" look (aggressive, but clean), so I had to get rid of the decals, emblems and black-out anything I couldn't completely remove...yet. First I pulled out the fishing line, plastic putty knife and Goo-Gone and got rid of the lettering on the tailgate, piece of cake to do...yet I never would have had such an easy time if it wasn't for this forum.

Then of course it was time to Plasti-Dip the emblems, I have never used this stuff before, but loved how easy it was...again, at the advice of this site...I am going to owe so many people a 'thank you' when I am done, considering how many I owe with such easy mods...the only thing that bothers me, is AS SOON as I finished doing the front emblem, I came across this thread, and decided I REALLY liked how this looked, so I will be pulling the grill soon anyway...

...and of course the rear badge to match...I would love to pull this off (as it will be the last piece of "external advertising" when I am done), but I hear it leaves a couple small holes in the tailgate. If someone could confirm whether this is true or not...and if it is help point me in the direction of "filling" those holes, I would appreciate it...

Then of course, it was time to pull the "Pro 4X" decals. I couldn't find my wife's hair dryer, so I used (VERY CAREFULLY) my heat shrink gun. If you do follow in my footsteps, tread lightly, these put out a lot more heat than a common hair dryer. However, in the end, a little more Goo-Gone, and the back end polished up nice and clean...

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Minor update to the build, today was a bit of a prep day for all the dress-up accessories I got for my birthday as well as getting the electrical ready for the lighting, CB and keeping a few spaces open for future electrical toys.

I am going to be installing a grill guard soon (actually sitting in the garage, just need the time to install it) and of course some lighting on the guard, so I ran the wiring and got it set in place for the upcoming lights. Nothing to fancy, just a simple setup.

...of course taking the time to heat-shrink all of the connections, tuck everything away, wire in any relay switches for some added safety and running everything from the battery...in an orderly fashion...

...granted instead of running a bunch of wires to the battery, I opted for a fuse block in the cab. A little more tidy, and a lot more fail-safe.

I also took the time to rewire the power outlets. When I bought the truck they were Type B (only turned on with the key turned) but since we do a lot of camping, it is a lot more convenient to be able to charge our devices at night while we sleep, and I am not leaving the keys in the truck all night...so now they are set up as Type A...leaving power to them at all times...fused power, of course.

Last but not least tonight, while I am getting the wiring out of the way, I may as well install the switch that will operate the KC lights. I didn't worry about setting up a switch panel or getting too creative with the placement of the switch, I know at absolute MOST I will only ever install one more switch, so this works for me, just some place nice and easy to get to.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took some time over the last couple days to apply a grill mesh to the upper and lower grill areas. A full write-up can be found at this post with the original idea (and many thanks) coming from this post, but got a few pictures as well...

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I still have some work to do, but I figured I would post an update while I am waiting for parts...

First, a couple accessories, nothing more than purchase and place items... The oversized cup-holders bugged the heck out of me, seriously...if it's big enough to hold an open bottle of beer, that's good enough. (That was sarcasm, not only am I a Captain and Coke man, I in no way condone drinking and driving...) Grabbed a couple inserts and also got tired of the stock antenna, so I swapped it for the AntennaX Stubby one, both are just small upgrades, but big improvements.

Parts: [Cup-Holder Inserts] and [13" Stubby AntennaX]

The next step was to move the trailer hookup to it's proper location. The biggest help came from this post, though I may go back for further preventative rust measures, but it turned out just fine for my needs.

Next, the all important power tailgate lock. Which of course I have to give some serious thanks to DavidBo for his thread on the subject. While I am sure I could've found it somewhere else, and I am sure many people have already mentioned it before, his post showing the pictures of what wires he hooked into saved my sanity. I could not seem to pinpoint which wires I needed to tie into and as soon as I saw his picture, I tested those two wires and viola, all was right in the world...

If I had one piece of advice to give to anyone looking to install the power lock on their tailgate...measure, re-measure, test and measure again when bending and cutting the rod...and then, when you are sure you have it correct, do it all over again. Seriously, I tested and measured half a dozen times, and still somehow managed to almost screw the entire thing up.

Parts: [Power Lock Motor]

Next I wanted to get some lighting going on the truck. Courtesy lights, mood lighting, convenience lighting...whatever you want to call it. So much of this was a very repetitive process of cutting my LED strip, peeling back the waterproofing, soldering new connections, using hot-glue to enclose everything to a waterproof state again, and then heat-shrink tubing to clean everything up. Measure the next strip, repeat all over again...

First I needed more light under the hood. This is the first vehicle I have owned that didn't have at least a bulb under there and it was already driving me insane. I took the time to hook up a hood pin switch as well as a bypass toggle switch. Mid-day, the lights can be more of a distraction than an aid so it is nice to have the ability to turn them off. Toggle switch was just a simple $4 switch from the local auto parts store.

Parts: [Hood Pin Switch]

Then I ran the LED strips just inside the hood. The lip I attached them to is angled in slightly, which actually helps direct the light to the engine compartment. I started with just letting the self adhesive LEDs hold themselves, but with the heat of the motor, the cold of our winters and the overall vibration from the truck, I went back and used epoxy ($6 from local auto parts store) to hold the strips in place. They are not going anywhere... I also used some black wire looming to make the install look a little nicer than just some loose wires hanging everywhere.

Parts: [White LED Strip]

Now for camping and the like, some bed lights were in order. I got the idea when I came across this post looking for random ideas on what I could do to the new truck. First thing (once the LEDs were cut, soldered, glued and tubed) was making sure the lights stayed in place, so I mixed up some more clear epoxy, hung the lights in place, applied a nice even coat of adhesive to the back of the strips and clamped everything in place. It's moments like this...when I think back to everyone that has ever been in my garage/shop and asked "What in the heck do you need so many clamps for?"...that I raise my hands high in the sky and shout to the world..."THIS IS WHY, MUAHAHAHA!" *cough*

I wired these up to the cargo light so they will simply switch on and off with that and then properly grounded everything (since the bed of the truck is a bit tricky at times for a proper ground). All lit up, everything looks nice and neat and with the epoxy, again, they are not going anywhere. A little more looming to clean things up, and another project crossed off of the list.

Now it was time to switch gears a bit and get some of my blue lighting out of the way. A quick upgrade to blue LEDs in the cab...

Parts: [Blue LED Dome Lights]

...but I also wanted to go a step further. My wife's Mini Cooper has full-time lighting that she can change color on, just a bit of glow to light up the floor. I wasn't so interested in being able to change color as I am going with a complete Black, Silver and Blue theme with the truck, but the mood lighting, so to speak, was something I wanted to get installed. I spent an entire afternoon with a stiff piece of wire running all of the power I would need for the lighting. I didn't want anything showing so I was very diligent in making sure all the wire ran through the loom and stayed tucked back from any moving parts (windows, locks, etc). Once I had the wiring in place, I took the time to lightly sand where I would be installing the lights. I want to make sure these things do not move once I epoxy them in place. This meant just under both sides of the dash, and inside each of the 4 compartments in the doors.

Now for under the dash and in the doors, I opted for pre-cut LED strips as it made things just slightly easier on me, but the install was exactly the same. Wire in, epoxy the back, and clamp in place.

Once dry, I wired them up to the switch and tested everything out.

Parts: [Blue LED 1' Strips]

Next, the outside. I know many of you will groan at this, but hey, it's my truck, and The Professor wanted some exterior lighting as well. Yet another couple-day project as once again I wanted it clean, wired properly, safely, and out of the way. Everything on the underside is also epoxied in place, secured, fused (as everything electrical in this truck is) and in a location where it shouldn't affect anything. I say that, only because...you never know.

Parts: [Blue LED Strip]

Now, even though I originally posted:
<snip>I know at absolute MOST I will only ever install one more switch</snip>
...apparently I lied, or didn't calculate correctly. So I had to redo my switches, but that's quite alright, I wanted blue anyway... Yes, the switch furthest to the right was sticking out once I installed them, I had to modify the bracket behind it so it would sit flush again.

Parts: [Switches]

...the final wiring project I had to get set up was the CB antenna. It took a bit of "hold this here while I go look at it" before I pinpointed where and how I wanted it mounted, and the best part is, there is still 3/4" clearance when I pull the truck in the garage! I also had to make sure it would clear the taillight guards as well. Before you ask, they are Black Horse.

Parts: [4' Firestik] and [Antenna Mount]

Next, some side-steps for my short wife and daughter...something simple but effective...

...and for the front, my grill guard and KC lights...

...and that is about where I am now. All wrapped up, Charles is coming along nicely...

So, what's next? I have some spacers for the front coming in and shackles for the rear. I am planning on some light off-roading, but nothing too extreme, after all, this is still my daily driver. Ordered cam bolts so I could make sure everything gets aligned after I get the leveling/lift installed. I also have some black rims ordered, should complete the overall look for color, plus the offset of the new rims will push the tires out ever-so-slightly giving the truck a little wider stance and make it so they are not as "tucked" under the body as they are now...

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rear passenger door wire cluster. If I recall correctly, the power wire was solid green. Used a tester to ensure proper power at appropriate times. Spliced, soldered and heat-shrink tube, then, ran the wire out the back of the cab and into the bed. Unfortunately this was one of the many late-night projects that when I took pictures, looked like they were taken in a low-lit room while the camera was held by a caffeinated squirrel.

I figure if people are curious enough I'll go back and take better pictures of the processes...but most of these mods/accessories are either self-explanitory or already have great write-ups on here...

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the truck up to a friend's place over the weekend (since he's got two car lifts and at least two of every tool I could think of) and went ahead and got the spacers installed up front and the shackles in the rear.

The front end took about three hours to get both spacers and bump stops in. The shackles took all of about twenty-five minutes for both sides. I've never had anything install so smooth. We did take the time to add anti-seize, lube and whatever else we could to prevent issues down the road. We then spent about four hours fighting one cam bolt, it took three breaker bars, an impact wrench, an impact hammer, an oversized bearing C clamp and several BFHs to get it out. We attempted the next one for a couple hours...and called it. I have spent the last couple nights working at the next one, and have been beaten. I'm taking the truck to a shop for an alignment on Friday...they can figure it out...I hope.

In the meantime, the leveling/lift turned out great, and in reality the truck drives great, but I'd feel better getting the alignment checked anyway. I went with a 2½" spacer lift on the front [Supreme Suspensions] and a 1½" shackle lift on the rear [Rough Country]. Nothing too extravagant for the time being... Before the additions I was looking at 34½" to the front fender and 36¼" to the rear. Specs after install are 36¾" to the front fender and 37¼" to the rear. Half an inch rake, actually what I was hoping for.

I ordered up my rims this afternoon from @Discount Tire...nice and black. They'll be in around next Tuesday, but I'm going to hold off on mounting them. I plan on upgrading to 33" tires so I'm going to mod the front fender wells first...and I figure I'll just let the current rims and tires get me through winter while there's still some life in them. After that I'll throw the OEM rims in storage...or maybe sell, I'm not sure. It would be nice to have them handy if I ever sell the truck, but I don't see that happening for a long time...

I'll post a picture of the rims when they come in...I'm super anxious to see him up on 33" tires...though I'm sure it'll take me until next year to decide which ones to go with. Any thoughts on some 285/75R16s?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I still have some work to do, but I figured I would post an update while I am waiting for parts...

First, a couple accessories, nothing more than purchase and place items... The oversized cup-holders bugged the heck out of me, seriously...if it's big enough to hold an open bottle of beer, that's good enough. (That was sarcasm, not only am I a Captain and Coke man, I in no way condone drinking and driving...) Grabbed a couple inserts and also got tired of the stock antenna, so I swapped it for the AntennaX Stubby one, both are just small upgrades, but big improvements.

Parts: [Cup-Holder Inserts] and [13" Stubby AntennaX]

The next step was to move the trailer hookup to it's proper location. The biggest help came from this post, though I may go back for further preventative rust measures, but it turned out just fine for my needs.

Next, the all important power tailgate lock. Which of course I have to give some serious thanks to DavidBo for his thread on the subject. While I am sure I could've found it somewhere else, and I am sure many people have already mentioned it before, his post showing the pictures of what wires he hooked into saved my sanity. I could not seem to pinpoint which wires I needed to tie into and as soon as I saw his picture, I tested those two wires and viola, all was right in the world...

If I had one piece of advice to give to anyone looking to install the power lock on their tailgate...measure, re-measure, test and measure again when bending and cutting the rod...and then, when you are sure you have it correct, do it all over again. Seriously, I tested and measured half a dozen times, and still somehow managed to almost screw the entire thing up.

Parts: [Power Lock Motor]

Next I wanted to get some lighting going on the truck. Courtesy lights, mood lighting, convenience lighting...whatever you want to call it. So much of this was a very repetitive process of cutting my LED strip, peeling back the waterproofing, soldering new connections, using hot-glue to enclose everything to a waterproof state again, and then heat-shrink tubing to clean everything up. Measure the next strip, repeat all over again...

First I needed more light under the hood. This is the first vehicle I have owned that didn't have at least a bulb under there and it was already driving me insane. I took the time to hook up a hood pin switch as well as a bypass toggle switch. Mid-day, the lights can be more of a distraction than an aid so it is nice to have the ability to turn them off. Toggle switch was just a simple $4 switch from the local auto parts store.

Parts: [Hood Pin Switch]

Then I ran the LED strips just inside the hood. The lip I attached them to is angled in slightly, which actually helps direct the light to the engine compartment. I started with just letting the self adhesive LEDs hold themselves, but with the heat of the motor, the cold of our winters and the overall vibration from the truck, I went back and used epoxy ($6 from local auto parts store) to hold the strips in place. They are not going anywhere... I also used some black wire looming to make the install look a little nicer than just some loose wires hanging everywhere.

Parts: [White LED Strip]

Now for camping and the like, some bed lights were in order. I got the idea when I came across this post looking for random ideas on what I could do to the new truck. First thing (once the LEDs were cut, soldered, glued and tubed) was making sure the lights stayed in place, so I mixed up some more clear epoxy, hung the lights in place, applied a nice even coat of adhesive to the back of the strips and clamped everything in place. It's moments like this...when I think back to everyone that has ever been in my garage/shop and asked "What in the heck do you need so many clamps for?"...that I raise my hands high in the sky and shout to the world..."THIS IS WHY, MUAHAHAHA!" *cough*

I wired these up to the cargo light so they will simply switch on and off with that and then properly grounded everything (since the bed of the truck is a bit tricky at times for a proper ground). All lit up, everything looks nice and neat and with the epoxy, again, they are not going anywhere. A little more looming to clean things up, and another project crossed off of the list.

Now it was time to switch gears a bit and get some of my blue lighting out of the way. A quick upgrade to blue LEDs in the cab...

Parts: [Blue LED Dome Lights]

...but I also wanted to go a step further. My wife's Mini Cooper has full-time lighting that she can change color on, just a bit of glow to light up the floor. I wasn't so interested in being able to change color as I am going with a complete Black, Silver and Blue theme with the truck, but the mood lighting, so to speak, was something I wanted to get installed. I spent an entire afternoon with a stiff piece of wire running all of the power I would need for the lighting. I didn't want anything showing so I was very diligent in making sure all the wire ran through the loom and stayed tucked back from any moving parts (windows, locks, etc). Once I had the wiring in place, I took the time to lightly sand where I would be installing the lights. I want to make sure these things do not move once I epoxy them in place. This meant just under both sides of the dash, and inside each of the 4 compartments in the doors.

Now for under the dash and in the doors, I opted for pre-cut LED strips as it made things just slightly easier on me, but the install was exactly the same. Wire in, epoxy the back, and clamp in place.

Once dry, I wired them up to the switch and tested everything out.

Parts: [Blue LED 1' Strips]

Next, the outside. I know many of you will groan at this, but hey, it's my truck, and The Professor wanted some exterior lighting as well. Yet another couple-day project as once again I wanted it clean, wired properly, safely, and out of the way. Everything on the underside is also epoxied in place, secured, fused (as everything electrical in this truck is) and in a location where it shouldn't affect anything. I say that, only because...you never know.

Parts: [Blue LED Strip]

Now, even though I originally posted:

...apparently I lied, or didn't calculate correctly. So I had to redo my switches, but that's quite alright, I wanted blue anyway... Yes, the switch furthest to the right was sticking out once I installed them, I had to modify the bracket behind it so it would sit flush again.

Parts: [Switches]

...the final wiring project I had to get set up was the CB antenna. It took a bit of "hold this here while I go look at it" before I pinpointed where and how I wanted it mounted, and the best part is, there is still 3/4" clearance when I pull the truck in the garage! I also had to make sure it would clear the taillight guards as well. Before you ask, they are Black Horse.

Parts: [4' Firestik] and [Antenna Mount]

Next, some side-steps for my short wife and daughter...something simple but effective...

...and for the front, my grill guard and KC lights...

...and that is about where I am now. All wrapped up, Charles is coming along nicely...

So, what's next? I have some spacers for the front coming in and shackles for the rear. I am planning on some light off-roading, but nothing too extreme, after all, this is still my daily driver. Ordered cam bolts so I could make sure everything gets aligned after I get the leveling/lift installed. I also have some black rims ordered, should complete the overall look for color, plus the offset of the new rims will push the tires out ever-so-slightly giving the truck a little wider stance and make it so they are not as "tucked" under the body as they are now...
How do those cup holders fit? I need too replace mine

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are just inserts that slide into the factory cup holders, they pop right out...which is nice for cleaning. But they fit perfectly snug, couldn't ask for a better fit. I just couldn't stand the oversized americanized cup holders, especially when 90% of the time of I have a beverage sitting next to me, it's in a can.

·
Registered
257 Posts
They are just inserts that slide into the factory cup holders, they pop right out...which is nice for cleaning. But they fit perfectly snug, couldn't ask for a better fit. I just couldn't stand the oversized americanized cup holders, especially when 90% of the time of I have a beverage sitting next to me, it's in a can.
do yours not come out super easy? if im drinking out of a can its typically a 16 oz or larger or my RTIC bottle both are a snug fit in my inserts. so when i go to pick it up it brings the inserts with it. kind of annoying because it adds even more profile to the can that i have to try and see around as well as mass, plus if i dont place it back in the same orientation i took it out it wont go back in since the insert only fits one way.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It's a little snug on the bigger beverage cups from fast food places, but not too bad. They seem to be a tight enough fit that the friction between the insert and the truck is always higher than the friction between the beverage and the insert. When I first got them I was all prepared for that, most people said they would pull out with a sweaty can etc, so I figured I would do a circle of Velcro at the base of each of the inserts, so they were still removable but stuck in place better. So far though, they haven't pulled out once. Even slightly oversized items like my water bottle still seem to have a tiny gap, average cans have a good pinkie gap to them... I'm not sure if it's just because the inserts are newer or what, but yeah, so far, not a single issue...

Usually takes quite a tug to pull the inserts out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I took early delivery on an upgrade today, can't wait to get them installed. It's going to take all of my willpower to wait until I need new tires...

MB TKO black rims. In case anyone asks, yes, I ordered the alternate center caps. The difference can be seen below:

I also got a bucket load of LEDs delivered as well as a new fine-tip for my soldering iron. So hopefully within the next week or so the remainder of the amber interior lighting, buttons and switches will all be blue, including the doors, dash, HVAC controls, factory RF stereo, key ring and shifter knob...

·
Registered
257 Posts
It's a little snug on the bigger beverage cups from fast food places, but not too bad. They seem to be a tight enough fit that the friction between the insert and the truck is always higher than the friction between the beverage and the insert. When I first got them I was all prepared for that, most people said they would pull out with a sweaty can etc, so I figured I would do a circle of Velcro at the base of each of the inserts, so they were still removable but stuck in place better. So far though, they haven't pulled out once. Even slightly oversized items like my water bottle still seem to have a tiny gap, average cans have a good pinkie gap to them... I'm not sure if it's just because the inserts are newer or what, but yeah, so far, not a single issue...

Usually takes quite a tug to pull the inserts out.
yeah im gonna have to try some velcro, mine pull out with everything that touches the sides of the inserts. even medium cups from fast food places will some times pull out if they are covered in condensation.

wheels look good!

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took some time and finally got around to installing my CB. I stashed the unit inside of the center armrest and ran the wiring accordingly.

Took a few minutes to add some convenience to the back seat and set up a usb charging port on the back of the armrest as well.

Finally I also got around to my complete interior color led swap. [Write-Up] Charles is getting closer to being complete...until I find a new project...

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I forgot to post my CB install pictures, as blurry as they may be. I posted the external speaker and the mic, but the unit itself is mounted inside of the center console, I drilled a hole to run the wiring (keeping the cables out of the way of the lid, still can open and close it without worrying about clamping the wires) for the CB out as well as my charger cable for my phone and added a rubber grommet to keep things looking halfway neat and clean, and to protect the wiring itself. Just a very basic install overall for the CB.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Much appreciated, I did have to go through and replace a couple blue dash LEDs, they looked slightly more purple or green than the other LEDs, but my goodness I love how it looks in there now...bah, I'm in love with the entire truck lol.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Nice work!
I'll have to read your write up on the LED's in the dash, I did this on my Wrangler, it only took about 45 minutes on it.
I have a lot of the items to do some of these mods in my Amazon cart, just haven't placed the order yet. LOL

1 - 20 of 245 Posts
About this Discussion
244 Replies
44 Participants
yekratsb
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing