Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting a GPS for awhile now, and I'm starting to get alittle more money coming in and decided now would be a good time to invest in one. After looking around I came to the conclusion that I have no idea what I'm looking for. So I was hoping maybe some of you guys could help me out.

What are some things I should look into when buying one? All I want is one that can give me directions to alot of places, has text-to-speech (actually tells you where to go), and I would like for it to have a decently sized screen.

I'm really liking this one.
Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 1350/1350T 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic: Electronics
It has a nice sized screen, I really like the traffic updates it says it has, and that it gives you shortest route, less fuel routes, and fastest time routes (this may be standard, im not sure). The price is nice too.

So can anyone give me some shopping advice on picking out a GPS? Or can someone let me know if the one I'm looking at seems alright.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
i've used garmin, tomtom and a few other brands. they are all similar in function, routing, etc. imo only real difference is the input programs like entering and saving addresses. garmin's setup was marginally better than the other ones.
If you're into experimenting, hacking, customizing, etc. A cheaper alternative is picking up a hackable gps unit. I have 5 different gps programs running on mine- garmin, tomtom, navigon, amigo, and igo. When I power it up, i choose whichever one i feel like using. These units sold under a variety of brand names have been selling for ~$40 recently.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really looking to hack and customize and do all that. I'm just looking for a good, easy to use, plug and play GPS.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't want the 255w, it doesnt have Auto sort multiple destinations (provides most direct route), and a few other things I would like to have. I think I'm going to get the 1350T. It has everything I seem to want, and the price isn't bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Belac, My buddy and I drove to Tulsa last Tuesday and he brought along his Garmin nuvu. He simply plugged it in and slapped it on the glass and off we went. It was so painless, I now swear by them. We even went WAAAY into the countryside 5 miles from the the Arkansas border, (we thought we heard banjos playing), so he could look at a Jeep for sale. I'm talking dead-end dirt roads and pig farms, and it had us on lock the whole time. I did notice that it lost sat signal in a parking garage downtown however. I give it 5 sprockets. Who needs a gps in a parking garage besides an okie? :p

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
get the dock for the dash and 1 that fits in it
Good advice, now I just need a 2nd gen.

SprocketsKustomPaint, I've heard great things about Garmin. That's really the only brand I'm looking at just because they have so many good reviews no matter which model it is.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Do NOT buy a Refurbished unit from Garmin!

At least I would not recommend it. I bought a 750 nuvi refurbished, and it died in 2 days, in a location where I had no f***ing idea where I was...

A new Garmin would probably be ok tho.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Garmin Rocks

I have a Nuvi 360 which I just passed on the to lady friend and I just bought a Nuvi 780. It's awesome. 4.3 inch screen. For like $10 a month you can add extra services so it tells you where the cheapest gas is, weather updates etc. This thing even tells me the speed limit on roads. That's really nice. I plan on mounting it in the dock for the truck. Gonna order one from the dealer tomorrow. Install sounds easy enough to do myself so we shall see. I'll report back with results and maybe a picture. Happy Huntings.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The 1350T looks like a nice unit. You can't go too far wrong with Garmin...they seem to have the best name. I picked up a tomtom 335LE at bestbuy today for $99 but it doesn't have traffic but otherwise similiar. It seems these GPS keep getting better and better with more and more features. I started out with a tomtom one years ago and it seems like something from nasa...now it's an outdated doorstop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.