Nissan Frontier Forum banner
761 - 780 of 784 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Do you think fanless matter? Overheating issues?
I'm not a great fan ( yeah, pun ) of the fanless models, I'm not sure where all that heat goes but if it's into the socket, it's gonna be trouble. I hope my fan models last a long healthy life.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm not a great fan ( yeah, pun ) of the fanless models, I'm not sure where all that heat goes but if it's into the socket, it's gonna be trouble. I hope my fan models last a long healthy life.
Do the LED bulbs produce more heat than the Halogen bulbs?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Do the LED bulbs produce more heat than the Halogen bulbs?
They do not. The halogens only convert about 10% of their power into light in the visible spectrum, the rest is infrared and waste heat.

·
Registered
48 Posts
They do not. The halogens only convert about 10% of their power into light in the visible spectrum, the rest is infrared and waste heat.
[/Q
Thank You. To be clear, a "Fan-less" LED bulb will produce much less heat than a Halogen bulb?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Thank You. To be clear, a "Fan-less" LED bulb will produce much less heat than a Halogen bulb?
Yes and no. The heat in a halogen bulb is in the "envelope", the glass capsule around the filament. LED's run pretty cool on their own, but the heat is generated mostly by the drive circuits inside the base of the lamp. Which is why IMHO I preferred the Gen I Katana's as besides the fans, they had a separate driver box located on a short pigtail, which got the most heat generating components away from the headlamp housing and socket. It appears a few merchants still have some of the Gen I's.

·
Registered
2018 CC Pro4x
3,236 Posts
Are these Katanas now "Fanless"? The ones on Amazon now all say Fan-less. Or am I not seeing the correct ones to purchase? I followed an old link in this thread here - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078W5SLV...BX&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it#customerReviews
That looks to be the case. I went into my purchase history on Amazon, and it now shows these instead of the ones with fans which I actually bought. I'm going on 1.5yrs with my Katanas, and I never expected them to last this long
Yes and no. The heat in a halogen bulb is in the "envelope", the glass capsule around the filament. LED's run pretty cool on their own, but the heat is generated mostly by the drive circuits inside the base of the lamp. Which is why IMHO I preferred the Gen I Katana's as besides the fans, they had a separate driver box located on a short pigtail, which got the most heat generating components away from the headlamp housing and socket. It appears a few merchants still have some of the Gen I's.
Those are listed as "in stock soon". I'm willing to bet they will ship the fanless model.
I just looked up my Amazon purchase history and the fan models I bought now also magically changed to fanless.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
That looks to be the case. I went into my purchase history on Amazon, and it now shows these instead of the ones with fans which I actually bought. I'm going on 1.5yrs with my Katanas, and I never expected them to last this long

Those are listed as "in stock soon". I'm willing to bet they will ship the fanless model.
I just looked up my Amazon purchase history and the fan models I bought now also magically changed to fanless.
I just ordered a spare set, yeah, might be kinda dumb, I dont know, now I've got $42.00 tied up in inventory but I don;t like the new fanless design and I love the light pattern these have. And since nothing lasts forever ( including me ) I plan on driving my 2014 til it drops or I do, so I dont think I'll end up with headlamps to fit a vehicle I no longer own ( as I do have some random lazy parts around from cars long gone LOL )

·
Premium Member
6,760 Posts
Are the fanless ones going to run warmer in the housing? This is my one complaint (if I'd call it a complaint) about them is during snowstorms my lenses ice over. the other 360 days of the year they are great. A couple degrees of temp would be nice.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Are the fanless ones going to run warmer in the housing? This is my one complaint (if I'd call it a complaint) about them is during snowstorms my lenses ice over. the other 360 days of the year they are great. A couple degrees of temp would be nice.
I couldn't see any way they couldn't. The heat's gotta go somewhere ( first law of thermo, if I recall? ) and so it'll heat the socket. Doubt much if any of that heat'll reach the front plastic lens as the heat's going to be concentrated in the socket area and hence probably dumped into the engine bay, not inches in front ( inside the headlamp "envelope" as it would be with a conventional filament bulb. I could be wrong here, anyone with the fanless units find they keep ice and snow off more effectively?

Reactions: The other Sean

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I'm not sure which is which!
Product Automotive tire Cylinder Font Material property

The ones shown the heat sink looks like it would be inside the headlamp housing and would help clear snow and ice from lenses, but then the pic on the box shows the heat sink on the back of bulb which would be outside of housing. Unless someone post pics of actual fanless design they received we will never know for sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have been running the fanless model since 12/20. Great light output on low beams (did need to raise aiming point). High beams are incredible, seems to light up for miles!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I have been running the fanless model since 12/20. Great light output on low beams (did need to raise aiming point). High beams are incredible, seems to light up for miles!
Do you remember if they looked like the ones in front of box in post above or like the ones pictured on the box? Thx

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
one of my Sylvania bulbs finally burned out so I replaced them with the fanless katanas. So far so good, didn't take any re-aiming, I like the light pattern. The heatsink does look like it inside of the light housing (like the actual units in the photo, not what's pictured on the box.

Reactions: mxtreme30

·
Registered
2006 Crew Cab 4.0 6spd 4x4
34 Posts
No need to cut the lock rings. Thenleds have removable collars.

Remove collar, slide on lock ring, slide collar back on and tighten it down.

All im finding on amazon is 6k and 6.5k, dont like that color.
Long thread, only read the tails, sorry if this came up already. I don't care to join the horde of narcissists with those 6k+ glare machines all over the highways, are there upgrades out there in the sub 5k range?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #777 ·
UPDATE: The low beam on one of my original Katanas (purchased in October 2018) failed today.

The fan still runs, but the LED emitters just faintly glow.

The high beam still works to a certain extent, but doesn't appear to be regulating its brightness any more - Gets dimmer or brighter as the battery voltage varies.

My guess is that something in the driver circuit has failed. Wiggling the connectors doesn't affect it.

I had bought a spare set of Katanas in anticipation of this happening, and popped one in as a replacement - didn't even need to re-aim the beam pattern afterwards.

These headlights have been used almost every single night since I bought them, so no complaints about the longevity.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
UPDATE: The low beam on one of my original Katanas (purchased in October 2018) failed today.

The fan still runs, but the LED emitters just faintly glow.

The high beam still works to a certain extent, but doesn't appear to be regulating its brightness any more - Gets dimmer or brighter as the battery voltage varies.

My guess is that something in the driver circuit has failed. Wiggling the connectors doesn't affect it.

I had bought a spare set of Katanas in anticipation of this happening, and popped one in as a replacement - didn't even need to re-aim the beam pattern afterwards.

These headlights have been used almost every single night since I bought them, so no complaints about the longevity.
I have a spare set of the fan-type in the garage right now, for the same exact reason. Hopefully wont need either of them, for some time yet.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Mine are still going too (knock on wood). Guess I need to really start looking into doing the conversion. Just wish I could use the projector lens with the Katana LEDs...Lol.

761 - 780 of 784 Posts