Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 468 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems like they're improved to the point where they're now a viable upgrade for the OEM 9007 halogen bulbs.

I've had a set of the "Katana 12000 Lumen" bulbs installed for several weeks now, and am really impressed with the beam quality.

During installation, I left one OEM bulb in place to do a side-by-side beam comparison - The pattern from the LED is almost indistinguishable from the OEM bulb, even though the LED is considerably brighter.

On low beams, the upper cutoff is very sharp. I haven't had a single motorist flash me.

Like a lot of other brands nowadays, Katana is using LED arrays that mimic the shape and spacing of the filaments in the OEM bulbs - and that seems to be the trick for maintaining a decent beam shape.

Installation is pretty easy - The Frontier's OEM plastic bulb retainer rings won't fit over the heat sink on the back of the LED bulbs, but it's an easy job to cut a C-shaped section out of them, so they can be snapped over the new bulb before securing it to the headlamp housing. (EDIT: Not necessary, as per Ezdaar's post below).

The LED drivers are in separate enclosures, which helps reduce the length of the LED bulbs themselves - They don't protrude any further from the back of the headlamp housing than the OEM halogens did.

Reliability is still an unknown. One of my drivers failed just a few minutes after installation, but Katana did a decent job of getting a replacement shipped. The new one is holding up OK so far. At under 50 bucks for the entire kit, it's not like you're out a lot money if they don't last. The warranty is for 1 year.

BOTTOM LINE: Good upgrade for the money - Maybe even excellent, if they last.

·
Registered
135 Posts
No need to cut the lock rings. Thenleds have removable collars.

Remove collar, slide on lock ring, slide collar back on and tighten it down.

All im finding on amazon is 6k and 6.5k, dont like that color.

·
Registered
544 Posts
While extremely costly at 180.00 the SNGL Super Bright LED Conversion Kit has my attention as these are said to be adjustable so that you can "tune" them to your light housings.

·
Registered
720 Posts
While extremely costly at 180.00 the SNGL Super Bright LED Conversion Kit has my attention as these are said to be adjustable so that you can "tune" them to your light housings.
If they're replacing a 9007, they really shouldn't have to be tuned. The vehicle manufacturer should have done a good job with the inside reflecting surface of the lamp housing such that the 9007 makes for a perfect projection shape, and anything that is set up like a 9007 should likewise have that same shape.

Requiring adjustment means that they didn't make them to conform to the same dimensions as the halogen they replace.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If they're replacing a 9007, they really shouldn't have to be tuned. The vehicle manufacturer should have done a good job with the inside reflecting surface of the lamp housing such that the 9007 makes for a perfect projection shape, and anything that is set up like a 9007 should likewise have that same shape.

Requiring adjustment means that they didn't make them to conform to the same dimensions as the halogen they replace.
Well considering that there are 100's if not a 1000 or more 9007 LED Drop-In kits that produce absolutely horrid lighting in our light housings, having the potential to actually work without enough light scatter to blind low flying aircraft I'd gladly take an adjustable set...

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
On low beams, the upper cutoff is very sharp. I haven't had a single motorist flash me.
What is the high beam like pattern-wise?

·
Registered
764 Posts
well ill be the first one to say this..... POST PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!!! we want to see results lol but no seriously i would like to see a side by side pic at night if you have one.... or any at all before and after

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The Kantana bulbs are also adjustable.

However, like most other Amazon customers who reviewed them, I didn't need to make any adjustments - They were already set for best beam pattern.

I think THIS is the kit.

So $47 with 1 year warranty.
Correct - That's the same kit I bought.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
well ill be the first one to say this..... POST PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!!! we want to see results lol but no seriously i would like to see a side by side pic at night if you have one.... or any at all before and after
Yeah not a picture taken standing in front of the truck "oh wow they're so bright that means they're better!"

A nice clear photo of the beam pattern with the truck facing a wall from 40-ft would show if these actually are good, or if they spread light all over the place like the older LEDs.

·
Registered
825 Posts
would love to see a picture, NOT pointing at a garage 15 feet away, just a normal picture.

I'd love to have LED headlights but something tells me its still not good enough, hot spots scattered or even worse dark spots in places you need light.

I have led's all over including inside/fogs/rears everything, everything but headlights.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A nice clear photo of the beam pattern with the truck facing a wall from 40-ft would show if these actually are good
would love to see a picture, NOT pointing at a garage 15 feet away, just a normal picture.
So a wall, but not a garage...Got it.

I'll pop an old bulb back in one side and take a few pix later this evening.

Meanwhile, you can view several other people's pictures of their installs, already posted in the reviews section of that same Amazon web page.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts

Meanwhile, you can view several other people's pictures of their installs, already posted in the reviews section of that same Amazon web page.
Yeah... generally people take garage photos, and they're usually either 1. so close to the garage wall that the light output looks super crisp because it doesn't have enough room to spread, or 2. on their driveway which is also not even far enough to show the whole light spread.

The 30-40 ft. distance is based on how most manufacturers suggest when aiming lights properly... so I say "wall" because you're more likely to find a wall somewhere that has at least 50-feet of room away from it, such as the side of a warehouse.

I've seen some people post photos of their light output on a wide open dark road - but there's nothing to reflect the light at distance, so you can't see the actual light spread. Worse, I've seen people post photos up against a 4 foot dividing wall where the light (obviously) passes the top of the wall, but the wall itself makes it look like some super sharp cutoff LOL

·
Registered
825 Posts

garage or wall, I'd like to see it not against a wall it doesn't really show far enough where led lights have issue, this is what I'd love to see.

·
Premium Member
4,962 Posts
I'd rather see something like this but that takes a lot of setup:

And here's a great example of how to do the wall test correctly, note the disctance between the vehicle and the wall:

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Imalways like to find a walmart, the auto shop always has a nice cubby thats perfect for showing off lights and they have big *** flat walls.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
what are the brights like?
They're quite a bit brighter than the OEMs, and seem to "throw" further down the road.

On high beams, the light pattern completely changes - Moves higher.

Separate LEDs are used for the low and high beams - As far as I can tell, they never operate simultaneously.

The truck already has a set of LED driving lights powered by the high beam wire, so there was already plenty of very floody light on high beams before installing the LED bulbs. Even so, the LED bulbs added some distance.

I never drive with the high beams when facing oncoming traffic, so cutoff and spillover are only a concern with the low beams.

1 - 20 of 468 Posts