Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nissan has had my frontier for a while now, I brought it in because it needed a new wire harness on the coils, it had super high resistance on the coils and was burning them up. They said they changed two major harnesses and all of my coils, they were super good with me on prices of repairs, etc... truck's out of warranty.

I got a ride to the dealership today to pick the truck up, its over an hour away. Runs awesome, idles smooth, throttles great when in park, everything sounded great and felt great.. So I took off and hit the road back home...

The truck was shifting hard (automatic )if I gave it over 30% of throttle or so... It jerked pretty good when going from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 .. I noticed that as soon as I got up to about 60mph or so, If I gave it a good amount of throttle, the RPM would rise up to 4-5k but would not accelerate, the truck would decelerate in speed. . . ... I had to keep it at a low throttle to keep the truck at highway speeds... If I let off the gas while the RPM was floating real high, as the rpm dropped back to around 2k it wouldn't jerk or feel as if it is "reengaging" into gear, it just simply would not increase the trucks speed if I gave it too much throttle, had to give it very very little throttle to keep speed or increase speed.

I called nissan, they say, "let it be, drive it smooth, let it calibrate, it'll start shifting fine, really, just be good with it for a while"

Regardless, the engine is running super strong, If I shift the transmission manually, it has POWER, lots of it. If I put it in drive with O/D not disabled, its just acting stupid... like it is in limp mode but I've got no lights. If I run it in D and turn off O/D it says "4" on the display and when I give it throttle it only stay in 4th gear and eventually rise RPMS and act as if its in neutral until throttle is let go of. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd have full on power when manually shifted into, they shift in and out smoothly when shifted manually.

So here's the symptom list,

Engine runs super, no more coil issues at all.
When in D (Drive), transmission shifts hard if throttle at more than ~30% at low speeds, at high speeds, truck won't accelerate past 65ish mph IF I give it more than ~30%throttle; rpm rises-speed doesn't. Speed only increases (very slowly) if I give real light throttle. Shifts smooth and runs super strong when shifted manually.

Tried the following:

Put my new optima in it out of my rodeo.
Reset ECU using the throttle pumping procedure.
Reset ECU by touching ground terminal to positive terminal.
Checked fluid, looks good, at good level.
NO SES
Didn't have this issue before it burnt an ignition coil. Was shifting awesome and smooth when at WOT (passing, having fun, etc)

I drove it 90 miles with real light throttle at 60-80mph... still just not shifting right. . . Unless someone on the board knows what the problem may be, whether it could be a specific bad ground, maybe nissan didn't plug something in correctly with the new harnesses they put in, something else.

Thanks guys :)

blahhh... bummed.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Nissan has had my frontier for a while now, I brought it in.... they were super good with me on prices of repairs, etc... truck's out of warranty...
^ Do what "they" suggested; if things don't perk-up... Bring it back to Nissan..

Stop fooking with it... You Paid $$ right? Get what you paid for!

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
sounds like nissan screwed someting up. i haven't the slightest idea whats wrong if the fluid is fine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'm new to the Frontier, but it sounds like there is a problem with the transmission control module. They might have disconnected a plug or damaged a wire to it or the tranny.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm new to the Frontier, but it sounds like there is a problem with the transmission control module. They might have disconnected a plug or damaged a wire to it or the tranny.

Thanks, yeah I was thinking something similar. I found the cable that runs to the black electrical component mounted on the rear of the trans (has 6 or 7 wires) has a slight burn where it runs near the right rear cat converter... I temporarily removed the plastic shroud that was melted around the wires, wires look really good...

Still shifting stupid, almost not shifting at all, I've come to notice that it just doesn't want to shift to 4th or 5th. Sometimes it feels like it engages 4th cause I can feel it go back down to 3rd when I move from D to 3 when I'm not giving any throttle. If I'm at 60mph in D, giving it throttle just rises RPMS, not vehicle speed... blah.

The dude that's been helping me out with my truck at nissan says I otta take it back and they'll figure it out, I know that it absolutely was not doing that before I brought it in...

BUT, I do have a thought...

When my truck first burnt out ignition coils, I brought the truck to a small shop, they were clueless of what to do, they threw a new IPDM in... didn't work.

I then took the truck to nissan... They installed those new harnesses (ignition and 1st main electrical harness), new coils, and ECU... truck runs great, transmission doesn't. Nissan didn't have a clue that there was transmission trouble because they didn't take it for a drive above 40mph, just putted around the block in Provo, UT. They told me if it shifts funny and acts retarted, let it be ... if it doesn't get better, bring er' back.

I've read on the board that a new IPDM must be programmed for the truck to run correctly. I'm wondering if nissan didn't notice a new IPDM had been installed before I brought it to them, hence, this new IPDM hasn't been programmed.

Regardless, the truck throws no codes, even when I scan it with my computer I have no pending codes (codes that have been stored or that do not trigger the SES light)...

Guess we'll find out what nissan says on monday.

Thanks clubfrontier dudes n' girls.

Engine oil is great.
Trans fluid looks clearish (not foggy) and has no smell of coolant that I can tell. Looks like its at a good level on the dipstick.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm pretty new to nissans as well, but this sounds to me like a transmisison problem too. I had to look up IPDM (Intelligent Power Distribution Module) It seems that this controls the engine. I cant imagine but it shouldnt be causing a problem like this unless it also controls the transmission, and when it shifts, in which case your gonna have to go to nissan (stating the obvious right). However, I did notice that you never mentioned checking the transmission fluid. Is it a good color? Is it at the correct level? You may need a rebuild. If it's out of warranty it'll be a lot cheaper to go to a private shop than the dealership ( i've had to do this a couple of times with chevy's, I was not impressed). One way to know is if you have your fluid changed, and they find lots of little metal shards in the fluid, then you probbably need a rebuild (indicates chewed gears and then clogs the control valves). Just thought I'd throw in my $0.02 . Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts