Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guy left note first name and phone number. He wanted to pay out of pocket rather then going through insurance. After talking with people around me and hearing horror stories. I didn't want to take the chance. The guy can also pay out the claim to autopac and it comes off his record as if it never happened. I told him so but he refused to give anymore information. Now he wont answer my calls or text. Damage isn't major but I'll still be out my deductible. Guess I'll report it as a hit and run. Maybe I should have taken him up on his offer.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have been hit a few times while parked, never had anyone leave a note with even a first name and phone number. You should have accepted his offer, now you will probably get nothing from him.

Can't always tell by pictures but it looks like what you need is a new tail light lens and to rub out and touch up the bumper. Could you sand the end of the bumper mask and spray it with a spray can of the correct black? Looks like there might be some marks above and just forward of the tail light, they might come out with scratch remover.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I probably should have but heard stories of additional damage being found (which highly doubtful would be the case here) and people getting screwed and with the buy out option I didn't really see why he wouldn't. You are just paying the insurance company (ours is public insurance) instead of me.

It's down to the metal in a couple spots with one large spot. Needs repainting in that corner and a new taillight. $700ish dollars.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Depends on what state you are in. Wifey worked in auto claims (USAA) now in bodily/injury claims - would report the claim to your insurance company, provide the name/number and send a copy to your insurance company. If police report is required wouldn't hurt to file one as your insurance company may request it.

They can try to locate and determine if the person is uninsured or could file as a hit and run. Still would need to file a claim regardless(unless you pay out of pocket/have a high deductible). Also any cameras in the parking lot? If so, would try to add that to the claim too.

Edit: forgot to add - sorry to hear about this and presume you are in the states. I hear it daily from the wifey. LOL

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have RCMP call him and see what he's got to say.

Yeah ill definitely file a hit and run report if he doesn't open a claim. Because though he left a note and a phone number he refused to provide his license. The information I have is first name, phone# and that he was driving a city of Wpg truck. I also have a hand written letter as well as phone texts back and forth from when he was replying, where he admits fault.

I just hope it isn't a pay as you go phone. If that's the case the RCMP won't have much to go on.

Unfortunately we don't have cameras in the parking lot.

·
Premium Member
6,058 Posts
You should talk to your insurance guy before making any decisions. I backed in to a guy's car once and my insurance company filed it under property damage since his car was parked and he was not in it. They fixed his car and I paid nothing off my deductable. My rate didn't go up either. What I thought was going to be a painful situation turned in to nothing.

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
It's real easy you get someone at the local police dept to call or text him and let him know unspecific terms that's it's now a police matter and he must reply as they will follow up on his identity.
Once he googles a phone number that goes back to the police dept. he will respond.
My friend did it and the guy hung up on the cop twice,on the third call the cop said quickly who he was and for the guy to source the PD number himself and ask for the cop himself and when he called back his voice was very shaky and then showed up in person to settle it all.
Good luck to you.

Clint

·
Premium Member
12,069 Posts
i had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. it was a kid that hit me and the parents who i dealt with.

the mother and father were mad at me for going through insurance, the bill ended up being nearly 5k on my genesis.

i asked them how would they like to pay that off if not through insurance and they stopped answering my calls as well. the claim had already been started so there was nothing they could do, i pocketed 4500$ and traded the wrecked genesis off for the silver frontier i have now. cant beat it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If he was driving a city truck, couldn't you call the city and explain what happened ? They may on record which truck was damaged and who was driving it

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I did call them though at the time I didn't have his last name. He wouldn't give it to me. Since then though I now have his last name. I was able to pay $5 online and do a reverse lookup. The free ones don't have cell numbers. So now I know his full name, I used that to look him up and found a match on Facebook that lists the city as well as the department he works for. I'm going to text him this information and warn him it will be a hit and run if he doesn't report to MPI. If I don't hear from him I will go to the police.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Same thing had happen to me a couple of years back some clown hit the front clip and caused 2500 worth of damage insurance took it in has a hit and run did not affect my rates but had to put my 500 deductible down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,461 Posts
OP, glad to hear you've got some traction toward resolving this debacle.

I 'think' that where (work parking lot is private property??) the impact occurs has some bearing...compared to having this unattended hit&run occur on a public street.

In early June my unattended '15 SV was backed into on a public street. I did not notice the damage until the next day, but sleuth'd out who did it and confronted him...and fortunately he admitted it, and also admitted to choosing to not leave me a note. I then called my insurance agent and his secretary* apparently did not fully understand this scenario and did not instruct me to get a police report. My understanding is that a police report would've likely included a citation for hit&run (since the impact was on a public road)...which I believe this dilrod TOTALLY deserved. GRRRR.

Dilrod's insurance paid for body shop repairs as well as a 10-day truck rental while repairs were made.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't know what state you are in, but would file a police report including the phone number. As a retired LEO, there are many tools available to law enforcement that are not available to the public to track down the owner of the phone. You may also want to speak to the store you were at and/or any surrounding stores to ask to look at video from parking lots to see if by chance that they video got a vehicle and or plate.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was able to find the guys last name and the department he works for at the city. I texted him it would be claimed as a hit and run if he didn't provide me the rest of the information as required by law and I would also call the city.

That got his attention and after a few back and forth texts he calmed down and said he would report. As of this morning he says he filled out the paperwork with his employer the city and they take care of the Insurance claim. He also texted me a photo of his drivers license. Look like it's turning out perfect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts