Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Just wanted to know what you think of price. Local mom 'n pops hotrod shop.

Basically 2.25" from cats back to new y-pipe, which directly transitions to 2.5". 2.5" into muffler (single IN/OUT), 2.5" out ->single tip.

$24: 1 stick 2.25"
$30: 1 stick 2.5"
$90: 2.5" 'Flowmaster' (he admitted it was not genuine, but 'looks, sounds, performs the same'
$15: clamps/hangers
$35: misc materials/tools (welder gas, blades, etc)
$180: labor (4hrs x $45)

Total $396 w/tax. For another $20 I think I'll just pick up a true 2.5" (in/out) 50series SUV. Exhaust would be welded as much as possible, but not mandrel bent ('said it's crush but not nearly like stock).

So all inclusive around $410 for custom? Certainly not stainless - I'm guessing aluminized steel.

Thoughts? I'd rather give my money to a small shop over like Meineke.

PS - 2006 BTW.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
If you are going with the single/single muffler, just save some dough and buy the JBA or whatever is on the market. It is the same or cheaper and has madrel bent pipes.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
If you are going with the single/single muffler, just save some dough and buy the JBA or whatever is on the market. It is the same or cheaper and has madrel bent pipes.
^I showed a pic. of the JBA(or was it NISMO) to my exhaust guy and asked how much to make me one... He said just order it, cheaper than his labor...

I still went custom Y w/Borla... saved $$ anyway.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
The only reason to go custom is if you want a dual/dual muffler used or if you have enough engine mods that you need larger piping then what the aftermarket offers but that is hard to believe since Banks uses hugh pipes in their set-up.

·
Registered
275 Posts
no. $400 is too much....shouldn't be a 4 hour job. The guys down here can take off from the muffler back and run it all fresh in under 2 hours.....an extra 4 feet of pipe shouldn't take 2 more hours.

$300 sounds better...especially for a knockoff muffler. And I've haven't seen a muffler shop that does crush bends in many MANY years. how old is that place?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
'Interesting replies (thanks). I asked the owner of a local garage who he recommended - "he does it all and does it cheaper than I can do it myself for".

I thought it was a little on the high side. Four hours sounded reasonable to me w/the y-pipe. But I base that on how long it would take *me* (ha!).

The guy I talked to wasn't the brightest - maybe he didn't really know what a mandrel bender was. He had to communicate to the owner who was deaf. Lost in translation? When asked about cages and intercooler piping the responses were an unsure 'yeaaah, we can do 'em'.

Oh well, 'moving on. I wouldn't mind a stainless anyway due to winters in PA.

If I were to go custom (I went down this road because I thought it would be *cheaper* - still is by a bit), is this a bad plan? Piping sizes, etc? My only other upcoming mod would be intake, 'maybe tune if I find an owner local. This is my 'daily so I really don't want to muck with it too awful much.

Thanks again.

PS - if this says anything about the mentality of the shop, I overhead an unseen co-worker in the back saying something like "new truck and he's putting an exhaust on it". Most of the work in the shop was off-frame '50s chevys (cool).

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Well as far as custom goes it can be cheaper.I'm not a 2nd gen, but i know you guys can't have that much more piping then the 1st. I got my shop to do mine, 2.5", for $12*.**. I bought my own muffler and tip though, but still ended up a lot less then buying a cat-back kit

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the route I'm leaning - I don't really care for the slip-coupled design of most of the off-the-shelf systems. Many don't include y-pipe and if I wanted it welded up I'd still have to go to a shop...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotcha.

So I went to Monre Muffler just for grins and talked to the store manager. He said he could do y-pipe (from cats) into 2.5, into my muffler, and retain the 2.25" from there back for $200. If I wanted 2.5" from the muffler back it would be another $100. Didn't think that would be too bad. He also said 3-4hours for just the y-pipe.

·
Registered
397 Posts
When I had my exhaust done the first time, I kept the factory tailpipe and had them get rid of the factory y-pipe. I went with a dual in, single out muffler instead of the magnaflow or flowmaster y-pipes. The guy that did the work did an excellent job making everything very close to factory as possible. I spent about $200 with 2.25" pipe going from the cats to the muffler, and everything welded up. I figure it would have been another $100 for the tailpipe, plus whatever tip i wanted. If you are looking into the flowmaster 50, I would seriously consider the dual inlet version since you wouldn't need to buy or have a y-pipe fabbed up.

Dan

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I considered the 2 to 1, but I'm afraid to lose the scavenging benefits that the y-pipe gives you. Some users reported loss of low-end by doing this (and no other supportive mods to make up for it).

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It depends where you live. I live in a rather rich county and have been quoted everywhere from $400 for a mom and pop place to $1,000+ at minake(sp) muffler. I wish I could have and exhaust for $300 with muffler. It would already be done.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good point - I wouldn't mind finding a good quality exhaust shop for some other tubing/piping work, so I'm going to keep looking around.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
that seems like alot of money. and no mandrel bends? the flowmaster aint even real

·
Registered
267 Posts
It depends where you live. I live in a rather rich county and have been quoted everywhere from $400 for a mom and pop place to $1,000+ at minake(sp) muffler. I wish I could have and exhaust for $300 with muffler. It would already be done.
so why not go down the street to security blvd where they will install stolen parts for cheap labor and then shoot you in the back on your way out of the store? lolz.

ellicott city, eden surrounded by hell.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went true dual with two stainless borlas, pipes cut right after the cats going to 2.5" pipes into H-Pipe then to the mufflers exiting right behind the passenger tire with 3" stainless tips. All for about $350. Shop does it by the job, not by the hour.. If it was done by the hour it would have been outrageous because the guy was slower then cold molasses!! And all piping was mandrel bent in the shop. Just shop around, and don't get ripped off !! Get your mufflers online, that alone will save you some pretty good money. And if you go with stainless pipe get it online also, save even more...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts