Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to notice this after I got back from holidays @ Christmas, where the truck was pretty much in 4x4 (hi and lo) for most of the time, due to 12 inches of wet snow and about 1/2 inch of freezing rain in the middle of trout country - (got to love Ontario weather).
Anyways, at takeoff, not all the time, I get this small bump sensation at take-off in 2 wheel drive on pavement, as if there is some sort of driveline slack, from the rear of the truck.
This is not the ALBS kicking in due to wheel spin nor do I have no loose stuff in the box. I took the truck to my mechanic this morning for him to look at the drive train/diffs and he says everything is tight as a drum.

thoughts?....

d-mo

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Are you an Automatic?

So the bump happens in 2wd only now after you had it in 4x4 for a few days in crappy weather?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yep ... its an automatic.
and yes again, it only happens in 2wd after the crappy weather in 4x4.

d-mo

ah... no I was not hard on it at all during the snow and ice at all. I do, very occasionally romp on it, but not all that much.

d-mo

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Yup, being hard on the gas in the snow/rain while in 4wd is retarted but when you noticed the "bump" while in 2wd, was it in the snow/rain or dry pavement?

If it was dry, were you hard on the gas at all? Our leafs suck and have an increased tendency of allowing axle wrap that will feel like a slight drivetrain slop.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup, being hard on the gas in the snow/rain while in 4wd is retarted but when you noticed the "bump" while in 2wd, was it in the snow/rain or dry pavement?

If it was dry, were you hard on the gas at all? Our leafs suck and have an increased tendency of allowing axle wrap that will feel like a slight drivetrain slop.
The bump happens on damp pavement, not being hard on the gas at all.
It is intermittent, happens every 2 times out of 8 takeoffs.

If i romp on it, i cant feel a thing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am thinking axle wrap since you are in 2wd now.

Were you hard on the gas at all?
Wrap or warp?

Given the thread I read today, check your ATF fluid and your coolant fluids, to see if anything is amiss. Reference the radiator/transmission cooler thread in this section...

·
Registered
293 Posts
First eliminate the easy stuff. When the mechanic was checking out the drive train, did he also check the shock mounts, sway bar mounts, etc. even your spare tire mount? to see if it hasn't loosened up some. With all the wet snow, you may have a built up of ice or salt around the disc brakes or calipers causing them to stick a little.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First eliminate the easy stuff. When the mechanic was checking out the drive train, did he also check the shock mounts, sway bar mounts, etc. even your spare tire mount? to see if it hasn't loosened up some. With all the wet snow, you may have a built up of ice or salt around the disc brakes or calipers causing them to stick a little.
The underside of the truck has been fully checked for anything loose, but I have yet to re-check my ATF or coolant .. will give that a go after work tonight.

The more I eliminate things, the more I feel its probably the back brakes not letting go, and possibly needing a cleaning. Being that its an automatic, the rear end should see a bit of "load" all the time (correct me if I'm wrong), and the bump is so light, no one feels it but me - so with your help- this is leading me to the rear brakes. Will take it in on Monday and have the rear wheels pulled and brakes cleaned to see if that helps.
If that doesnt help ... I may need to de-tune and take her to the dealer.

thanks .. d-mo

·
Registered
269 Posts
Might sound dumb, but some have reported that the rubber protector covering bottom utility track in bed, slides back and hits tailgate causing a slight thump sound.

·
Registered
213 Posts
i have the same exact problem...

on very light take offs it feels like the rear is wrapping very badly. but, now i also get a thud coming to a slight stop. i have a 2 inch prg lift block in the rear and removed them to make sure that wasnt the problem. i always had a driveline clunk at on/off throttle at speed, but the thud at the stop and go has just started....

lemme know if you find a solution. im an 08 4x4 auto with 29k...i pull a 4500lb boat a couple times a month also if that might help (24ft carolina skiff).

my **** box f350 work truck feels more smooth than this thing anymore.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmmm ...

i have the same exact problem...

on very light take offs it feels like the rear is wrapping very badly. but, now i also get a thud coming to a slight stop. i have a 2 inch prg lift block in the rear and removed them to make sure that wasnt the problem. i always had a driveline clunk at on/off throttle at speed, but the thud at the stop and go has just started....

lemme know if you find a solution. im an 08 4x4 auto with 29k...i pull a 4500lb boat a couple times a month also if that might help (24ft carolina skiff).

my **** box f350 work truck feels more smooth than this thing anymore.
Well at least I know I'm not the only one with this problem. Over the weekend my "bump" has progressed into exactly what you have, including a small bump now at both stopping and starting.

Suspension has been checked through the truck, along with the drivetrain, and my mechanic says everything is very tight. Tomorrow the guys are tearing down the back brakes to see if thats the issue. I will keep you updated on what they found ... they seem to think that the backs could be sticking with all the salt and **** that is on the roads.

Oddly enough I even thought it was my seat being loose, but I have pretty well eliminated that idea.

I stand on the brakes while punching the gas up to 1500 rpm to see what happens, and I do get a bit of bump then, but im not sure if this is the same feeling.

d-mo

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yee-haa ..

Well the problem is fixed.
Even tho the parking brake was operating properly, it turns out that the whole parking brake system was loose within the back discs of the truck. My mechanic told me that the system is off-set (pads are oriented front to back) and were so loose with the "disc/drum" that he could move the system with his hand, which caused the bump in the drivetrain.
The interior of the drum was covered in rust/so the E brake system had to be cleaned and adjusted.
So .. there we have it ... im back to being a happy camper with still no major issues with my truck. :fantastic:

D-mo

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello - Has the problem come back? I have that same feeling when I stop (just purchased an 08 2 weeks ago). At first I thought it was the rear end. Is there a way to fix it without going to the dealer?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ah .. yes and no ...

yes it did, but not the exact same amount .. i still get a small bump only at take off .. sometimes.
Since my last post I have gone under the truck myself and rechecked everything. Nothing moves, just like mechanic said.
I am attributing the bump to the one or some of the rear brake pads kind of sticking in the wet weather.
You may wish to check this thread tho .. this could help you ...

Slight "thud" from rear end - Nissan Frontier / Navara Forum

d-mo

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've the same problem but my ebrake system is ok. So, I've a small problem with my truck vibrating a little around 60-70mph, so I'm gonna check the u-joints first bcuse I heard people is having issues with them. Hopefully is all related.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've the same problem but my ebrake system is ok. So, I've a small problem with my truck vibrating a little around 60-70mph, so I'm gonna check the u-joints first bcuse I heard people is having issues with them. Hopefully is all related.
Keep us posted .. there seems to be alot of us in the same boat.

d-mo

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the same thing in my 6 speed. The only time I feel it is a few seconds after I let out the clutch when I shift into 2nd and when I accelerate slowly. I sure hope its not a big issue, I have about 300 miles left on my warranty.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
im auto.....i feel it slightly around 40 mph. i let off then get on the gas again and feel a little slack. been there a while, always wondered what it was. i crawled underneath and all looked legit

1 - 20 of 21 Posts