Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering what you guys keep in your trucks ? I don't off-road , just take long road trips and was looking to get a good set of tools for it . But I here craftsman is junk now . Any input would be great

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
all my craftsman are pre-Kmart.

craftsman, kobalt, and someone else are all made by the same company.
stanley, proto, and blackhawk (I think) are all made by the same company.

I have a variety of brands depending on what I use the tool. My craftsman and blackhawk are personal tool. my pittsburg are loaner tools or used for modifications..

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Craftsman tools are now made in China, since 2010. Probably work fine for what you need to do on the road.
In my opinion "Snap-On"makes the best tools but you will pay. All my ratchets breaker bars are Snap On.
I have a bunch of pre China Craftsman ratchets but they don't compare to Snap On.
They also make "Blue Point" tools at a little cheaper price but are excellent quality.
Mac, SK,Proto are still mostly made in the USA.
Just to let you know, I am a tool snob.
I keep a H1 Hummer jack on the Frontier.
You can find them used for around a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Craftsman tools are now made in China, since 2010. Probably work fine for what you need to do on the road.
In my opinion "Snap-On"makes the best tools but you will pay. All my ratchets breaker bars are Snap On.
I have a bunch of pre China Craftsman ratchets but they don't compare to Snap On.
They also make "Blue Point" tools at a little cheaper price but are excellent quality.
Mac, SK,Proto are still mostly made in the USA.
Just to let you know, I am a tool snob.
I keep a H1 Hummer jack on the Frontier.
You can find them used for around a hundred bucks.
The cheap line is made in China. If you pay for it you can still buy American made craftsman.

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
Gearwrench makes some nice tools, as well. Since I started to do a lot more work in my driveway, one of my favorite tools is my Milwaukee 3/8" drive cordless ratchet kit that I got from Northern Tools:

FREE SHIPPING — Milwaukee M12 Cordless 3/8in. Ratchet Kit — 12 Volts, Model# 2457-21 | Ratchet Wrenches| Northern Tool + Equipment

When I got mine, they were running a sale. For $199, you could get the ratchet, a 3-LED flashlight, 2 batteries, a charger, a voltmeter/continuity tester and case. Normally, it sells for $299.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
The cheap line is made in China. If you pay for it you can still buy American made craftsman.
How do you find the ones made in the US?

·
Registered
245 Posts
My Secret Discount Tool Store

If you can recognize good tools by sight, the best deal on hand tools is a pawn shop, by a mile. They typically have six or ten plastic bins full of greasy hand tools; you'll need to root through them and figure out what's what. The reward is that most shops are happy to sell wrenches, pliers, etc. for about $1 each (don't mention brands to the clerk, to them a wrench is just a wrench). Take them home, clean them up and oil them- and pat yourself on the back for saving huge amounts of money while still buying quality. I got a nice pair of side cutters tossed in for free because they were frozen closed; a squirt with PB Blaster and they came around.

Realize many of the tools are going to be Wally World junk, and some will be broken. Then again, there are some gems just waiting to be plucked from ignominy. You aren't likely to come home with all the tools on your wish list on your first trip, but you should be able to build a good functional set of the basics pretty quickly. You're also likely to see some specialized tools that go for big bucks, and the occasional old but better-than-they-make-today item.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you can recognize good tools by sight, the best deal on hand tools is a pawn shop, by a mile. They typically have six or ten plastic bins full of greasy hand tools; you'll need to root through them and figure out what's what. The reward is that most shops are happy to sell wrenches, pliers, etc. for about $1 each (don't mention brands to the clerk, to them a wrench is just a wrench). Take them home, clean them up and oil them- and pat yourself on the back for saving huge amounts of money while still buying quality. I got a nice pair of side cutters tossed in for free because they were frozen closed; a squirt with PB Blaster and they came around.

Realize many of the tools are going to be Wally World junk, and some will be broken. Then again, there are some gems just waiting to be plucked from ignominy. You aren't likely to come home with all the tools on your wish list on your first trip, but you should be able to build a good functional set of the basics pretty quickly. You're also likely to see some specialized tools that go for big bucks, and the occasional old but better-than-they-make-today item.
If I were to build my own ,what all do you think I would need to have in it ?

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Scan tool. This will give you the trouble codes when there is a problem.
Tools to allow changing belts and hoses, tire.A big hammer and pry bar if you have to clear a crushed fender.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you're not planning to keep spare belts and hoses at hand in case one fails, you don't need to carry tools to change them. I'd carry a pair of pliers, an adjustable wrench, philips and slot screwdrivers, a wire brush to clean battery terminals, a flashlight and a rag, maybe wet wipes for cleaning your hands. And a phone with AAA membership in your wallet. What kind of work will you be able to do on the side of the road? What is your skill level for troubleshooting and repairs?

Also, if you're broken down and all you have is some Craftsman tools, I wouldn't throw them in the bushes- they might come in handy!

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
If you're not planning to keep spare belts and hoses at hand in case one fails, you don't need to carry tools to change them. And a phone with AAA membership in your wallet. What kind of work will you be able to do on the side of the road? What is your skill level for troubleshooting and repairs?

Also, if you're broken down and all you have is some Craftsman tools, I wouldn't throw them in the bushes- they might come in handy!
I keep spare hoses and belts, clutch slave cylinder, sensors, fuel filters, air filters, scan tool, windshield wipers, brake lines.
All the necessary tools to perform these repairs.
Milwaukee electric impact wrench to remove lug nuts and operate my jack.
My situation is different than most. My truck is used in Mexico for desert racing. With entry fee and pit service only, costing over 5 grand, I need to be able to make repairs.
No AAA in Mexico and phone service is non existent in many areas.
Also we keep a lap top with a Nissan CD repair manual in the chase truck.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
If you're not planning to keep spare belts and hoses at hand in case one fails, you don't need to carry tools to change them. I'd carry a pair of pliers, an adjustable wrench, philips and slot screwdrivers, a wire brush to clean battery terminals, a flashlight and a rag, maybe wet wipes for cleaning your hands. And a phone with AAA membership in your wallet. What kind of work will you be able to do on the side of the road? What is your skill level for troubleshooting and repairs?

you just described the nissan roadside kit.

and ive changed a couple belts in autozone parkng lot. better than having to buy more tools while youre there.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
I mentioned that I have been traveling in Baja, Mexico for over 30 years. If you have a problem, it is usually in a remote area.
I sold my 92 Ford diesel along with a bunch of spare parts to a friend of mine.
He called me after he got back from a trip. All he said was "thank you, thank you".
He was on a fishing, surfing trip in Baja. To get to the beach you had to go down a goat trail, silt beds, rocky terrain. He had lost his clutch slave cylinder. He went through the parts I had given him and found the extra slave cylinder. He would have a tough time making it out.
No Autozone, no AAA.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Milwaukee electric impact gun with sockets. 4 ton bottle jack. And assorted tools. I have never had to change a tire for emergency reasons yet but that is really the only issue i would have

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Milwaukee electric impact gun with sockets. 4 ton bottle jack. And assorted tools. I have never had to change a tire for emergency reasons yet but that is really the only issue i would have
The electric impact makes it a lot faster and easier during tire changes. We also keep Kevlar gloves in the truck to deal with hot lug nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
We have to keep a list of stuff on the truck for when we go on the beach out here and it's a good basic start. Jack, jack board (for setting the jack on dirt on the side of the road) lug wrench, tire inflator, jumper cables and tow strap. There's more but probably not necessary off the beach, you'll also need to decide what you feel you'll be able to fix on your own but basic set of pliers, screw drivers, hammer, wrenches, some hose clamps, some zip ties.
This could be a huge list if you let it so put some thought into what you'll actually need... and you'll also be surprised how far AAA will go if you're a worrier and need security. I believe AAA will get you discounts on all sorts of stuff that can pay for itself too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Forgot duct tape and a good flash light

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
How much space do you have with the nissan jack they give you to change the spare... given that it is already kinda high up? If you were to get any bigger sized tires, is it a MUST that you get a bigger jack?

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
No, you can keep your stock jack. You can always put a board underneath if you need to raise it.
Remember, going to 33"s will only raise the truck an inch or so.
Of course it also depends on if it was lifted and how high.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts