Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Good puzzle for you gurus

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  The other Sean 
#1 · (Edited)
Have a 2000 XE with 192XXX on it. V6 4x4 4door

Problem: runs great cold, runs great warm. Sudden death and then refuses to turn on for a long time (assuming until cooled off)

Conditions: both times at idle at red lights. Warmed up. In drive.

Attempted fixes: Reman distributor put in two days ago. (Went through the whole "runs great cold and like hell warm" and had it replaced with a low quality one two years ago. That part has been "dying slowly" since last year.) This is different. The truck runs awesome until death. I also put in a coolant temp sensor today to no avail.

Here's the head scratcher. After I was testing the temp sensor fix, refilling my coolant and bleeding the system the truck idled in the driveway for 40 min no problem. I was having a hard time getting the lower hose warm (opening thermostat) so I decided I would go drive it to warm it up assuming the problem was fixed. Keep in mind the engine is at operating temp, just wanted to bleed the whole system after opening it to replace the sensor.

As soon as I popped it into reverse, it died. Wouldn't fire up until cold. I can't imagine this is a distributor at this point where it is capable of running hot, just not while the trans is engaged for some super weird reason.

Help....

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes for crank. Unsure if I'm getting spark except that sometimes it catches at maybe 200 rpms and quickly dies again. I can test it for sure but for now I'll assume yes based on this.

No idea on.the fuel pump. I got the truck at 145XXX and haven't replaced it.

#5 · (Edited)
You say 192k with 145k on it when you got it and say it catches @200rpm sometimes you don't know what was done b4 you. Kinda sounds like fuel drop 2nd to check pump.
come to think of it might be a fuel pressure regulator* don't know where the 00' has it its just like a erg valve with a diaphragm. I had that it in 95F150 when driven wouldn't start again or would die coming to stop
You can also check weak connections everywhere all cables + and - also starter

I thought of something you could check the MAF a saturn I have did something similar also and wound up being MAF sensor and it even though the one I took out was good it fixed the problem

#7 · (Edited)
This was on a totally unrelated vehicle, but a similar experience.

It was an 89 Jeep Commanche Pick Up with the same symptoms.

I changed distributor, cap, rotor button, plugs, wires, coil, and none of that made a difference. Researched and worked on it for days. Finally, I wound up narrowing it down to a crankshaft position sensor. Replaced that simple little part and straightened things out. I'm guessing the old sensor sort of worked, but when it got warm it lost its ability to send a proper signal.

It never did throw a cel, but it was pre obd-2 too. The fuel pressure regulator went out once as well and caused it to dump massive amounts of fuel into it while running. It was running so rich that black smoke just rolled out of the tailpipe, like a diesel rolling coal, that didn't set off a cel either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.