Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well after some 44k miles my drivers side rear pads deceided to disintigrate. poof gone. well, the inner one is still about 2mm thick, but the outer....no longer there. :thatswck: I got new rotors and pads about two weeks ago, just didn't get them on yet, last I checked I still had time, guess I was wrong. So now the rotor is shot, and so is the caliper. Got a new caliper on order, hopefully it'll be in this week so I can get back on the road :comphead: Passenger side still has pads left....so I'm wondering what caused one side to go away and not the other :confused:

When these pads went, they went quick!!! here's the damage to the rotor and caliper.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine didn't squeak at all. I started hearing some rubbing about a month ago, checked and saw the pads were getting down and ordered the new ones. Never made any really bad sounds or anything. Next thing I know I'm loosing brake pressure. Luckily I was able to pull into a parking lot before I lost all pressure.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Either the piston seized or the slide bolts needed lube.
They must have been rubbing a long time and surprised you never smelled it or felt a vibration.

Clint

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Holy cow! Gonna go check mine now...

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Wow, that really ended well considering. That is strange as hell that you didn't notice it until they went. Was any part of the pad "frame" still visible?

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nothing left of the outer pad at all. it looks like it ground a good 1/16 or more off the caliper, so i doubt i'll be getting my core charge back :(. the freakin wierd thing is that there was no squealing or anything else to tip me off till i started loosing pressure!! :censor: it was leaking from the piston due to it basically pushing out too far and loosing it's seal. good thing i already have the new rotors so all i need to wait for is the caliper.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
mine didn't squeak at all. I started hearing some rubbing about a month ago, checked and saw the pads were getting down and ordered the new ones. Never made any really bad sounds or anything. Next thing I know I'm loosing brake pressure. Luckily I was able to pull into a parking lot before I lost all pressure.
Well my rears are starting to squeak. So maybe i need to get on the ball and replace those brake pads. I know my calipers & rotors look fine but i just dont want to wear down my pads like i did my front. Before i changed them.

Im going outside to check now lol

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I have seen this a few times when people ignore their brakes. The worst was on an 94 Explorer. The heat from the brakes seized the bearings on to the hub.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
well they don't call them breaks for nothing:laugh:

Glad you got it stopped safely. I just checked mine yesterday, when I rotated the tires. I'll be changing them out before winter.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
^Guess they did a break dance on you Jason literally

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I had the same thing happen on my front divers side rotor. The outside pad completely broke up but all of my other pads had half life left. I know on my 02 it is the inner pad that has the little metal clip which causes the squealing. Since it was the outter pad I had no idea. I was just driving one day 300 miles from home at the beach and heard a grinding. By the time I made it home (very scary) the outside edge of the caliper was extremely thin. I drove well under the speed limit the whole time and used my heavy tires to slow down (gliding way before a light) instead of the brakes.

That sucks though about your caliper. Thankfully my seals were fine.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
This Is More Common Than You Think. When You Let The Pads Get Down To Thin Or Metal To Metal . They Generate Alot Ot Heat And Begin To Go Away Very Quickly. Also The Thinner The Pad The More The Caliper Pins Are Exposed To Dirt And Crap That Helps With Sticking. Once The Pad Gets Thin Enough, If You Look Closly, Youll Notice It Can Become Thin Enough To No Longer Be In The Caliper Bracket. Then When You Brake The Rotors Just Rotated It Right Out Onto The Ground. When You Do A Brake Job, Clean The Slides And Pins And Lube Them With Lube Designed For Brakes

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but those "squealers" (wear sensors) are worthless because they aren't audible in most cases. If the rotor is already beat up they won't go off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts