Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
IMHO. off road is only good for damaging the truck. THATS JUST ME.
Moe, I respect your opinion and agree with it to a point. There are certainly scenarios where you may have your own personal truck on a trail that you prob have no business being. If you dont have a rear diff guard and full underbody armour then rocky trails can be quite challenging, stressful and potentially quite expensive. If you know what the trail is like going in, you should be in much better shape.
Washington & Jefferson Park Virginia, last weekend, many differential-killing oil pan-denting rocks in the trail, four trucks convoy and careful teamwork, no cut tires, no broken parts. Great group of guys, a real team-building & trust-building effort.

Not quite as bad but still pretty rough, I wheeled solo in the Maine backwoods last August ( yea, I know, not my proudest hour ) with my wife and kids along and we hit a "road" we had no business being on, Dyer's Road lumber tote trail, in a stock Pro4x. Through God's Grace and some very slow rolling and careful spotting, we got out of a good six+ mile minefield that I never should have been in to begin with. Two+ hours to crawl through. Lesson learned. Won't ever use that route again.

Many of the surrounding trails could be carefully accomplished in 2wd only, much better condition and a half a truck wider. I now have over 200 off-road miles on my basically stock Pro with still that factory skid plate set, they are going to be going away this yr, but point is, I haven't broken anything. I bent one of my sidesteps against a large rock mostly submerged in a mudpie, my bad, teach me to be more careful. So far, so good. I get that many here would see 200 miles off-road as a good weekend jaunt and probably so, I certainly don't claim to be much more than a noob; but many people's entire 4x4 experience offroading is parking in the grass at the company picnic, so I guess I'm somewhere in between.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I think it’s important for everyone to have a passion...something that rebalances us mentally, something that brings us joy like nothing else can. Off roading is mine. That doesn’t mean it’s everybody’s.

If I damage my truck, so what. It’s MY truck.
Maestro, I couldn't agree more. Carry on Jennifer and, all you other MadMaxs heading for GONE, have a great time and be safe out there.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Plenty of seconds to make all those last second repairs and upgrades ::grin::
Getting ready to crawl back under my rig and finish the fluid changes and reinstall skid plates and tighten the sliders.

Thanks for the laugh Grendel!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Getting ready to crawl back under my rig and finish the fluid changes and reinstall skid plates and tighten the sliders.

Thanks for the laugh Grendel!
I'll be doing that this weekend. I'm looking forward to getting out to Utah!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Condo check in is 2 weeks from today! YEEEEHAAAA! :wav:

·
Registered
819 Posts
Power steering fluid flushed - Check
Brake lines upgraded, brake fluid flushed - Check and Check
Fresh Oil Change - Check
Pre-Moab inspection - Check
Grease zerks filled - Check
Front Sway bar removed - Check

Also had fun at the Unlimited Off-Road show in Nashville on Saturday. Would have been better if there was like ONE Nissan there. #toomanyjeeps

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Perfect weather is forecast

Low 70's during the day and high 50's at night. Super glad it is not going to be hot!

1 week to go!

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
Is it too soon to start a GoneMoab2020 thread?

At least wait until Memorial Day weekend. Sheesh. :p

ill likely just show up lol.

If you want to be part of the organized runs, I definitely don’t recommend this. But if you’re just planning on doing your own thing, be aware that there likely won’t be any lodging available in town or at any of the organized campgrounds. We always have our condo booked months in advance.

·
Premium Member
11,724 Posts
i dont want to be apart of the organized runs at all. id come kick it for lunch though.

im set on lodging, waiting on my trailer title and the rest of this summer is my camping trailer build.
the wilderness always has vacancies!!!

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
i dont want to be apart of the organized runs at all. id come kick it for lunch though.

im set on lodging, waiting on my trailer title and the rest of this summer is my camping trailer build.

the wilderness always has vacancies!!!

Sounds like you’re all set then. Just plan on hanging out at the condos in the evening.

·
Super Moderator
13,290 Posts
ok gotcha.

i go for both ya know.

my whole reason for taking big road trips and camping and getting some wheeling in, is to get away from other people.

I’m as introverted as they come and I can definitely understand that. It’s why in 90% of my trip reports you see posted here, mine is the only truck, and why I go hiking alone 2-3 times a month. This particular event just happens to be one of the few situations that I actually like being around people.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts