848 Posts
I'm in.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro4X
848 Posts
Will this be your first year?
If I said it isn't, will it keep the newb stickers off my truck? Lol Yes, it is my first year and I'm looking forward to it.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Frontier MT sv
776 Posts
utah fun and games

Plans are in the works! all in.
hmm.... what trails to attempt or repeat with the famous stock limited slip differential? locking diff? not yet.
operating a clutch? whoa, that's hard. nah.

·
Premium Member
13,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If I said it isn't, will it keep the newb stickers off my truck? Lol Yes, it is my first year and I'm looking forward to it.

Nobody is immune to the pranks. ;)

I thought that was the case. There are a lot of first timers coming this year... @BCBrian, @Pathung and @shizzy come to mind. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. I'm excited that all of you will be there. I love this event. :)

Plans are in the works! all in.
hmm.... what trails to attempt or repeat with the famous stock limited slip differential? locking diff? not yet.
operating a clutch? whoa, that's hard. nah.
The diff isn't actually limited slip. All the limited slip is in the braking system.

I'm glad you guys are coming back. :)

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro4X
848 Posts
Nobody is immune to the pranks. ;)

I thought that was the case. There are a lot of first timers coming this year... @BCBrian, @Pathung and @shizzy come to mind. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone. I'm excited that all of you will be there. I love this event. :)

The diff isn't actually limited slip. All the limited slip is in the braking system.

I'm glad you guys are coming back. :)
It'll be a fantastic time this year. Hopefully, the first of many for me.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Have fun everyone. We spent way too much money and vacation time this year, we are going to have to skip Moab this time around.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
This will be my 1st Gone and my 1st time in that part of the country. I'm bringing my camping gear and spending additional time visiting the Nat'l parks nearby afterwards.

Looking forward to the experience!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Again I want to go, will have to see how busy I am with the store, and my kids and wifes time off.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
As usual, if I can find the time I'll be there.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My first time as well, and can't wait!! I've got the 33's installed, and should have a rear-locker by trip time. I won't go too crazy though, as I'll have my entire family in the truck :)

I'll be doing the first three days for sure - what do you guys recommend for a newbie looking for both scenery and some mild challenges?

·
Premium Member
13,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll be doing the first three days for sure - what do you guys recommend for a newbie looking for both scenery and some mild challenges?

It will be easier to make recommendations once this year's trail list is released. Each trail will only be offered once or twice during the week. My initial thoughts for you though...

Fins N Things and Hell's Revenge (a little harder than Fins) are a good intro to driving up and down the slickrock that the area is known for. They are not good choices (especially Hell's) if you are squeamish about heights. Both are blue trails with optional red obstacles.

Seven Mile Rim might be a fun one for you if you want something a little challenging. It's one of my favorite trails that I've done. The terrain is fun (lots of ledges) and the scenery is beautiful. This is a blue trail.

I am planning on doing Shafer Canyon this year on whatever day it is offered because it looks like a gorgeous trail. It is located in Canyonlands and I've seen it from the top. This one is a green.

I wouldn't rule out Off Roading 101. I know you aren't a complete beginner, but I took it with my parents last year and thought it was a good class.

If you're wanting scenery, you really can't go wrong with any of the trails in the area. It's really beautiful just about everywhere out there.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Dome Plateau is a good mostly easy trail with a few harder spots and good scenery.

Just hope your trail leader doesn't get lost.:angel:

Lockheart Basin is also really nice if they run it again this year.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thanks guys, it looks like there are lots of choices for me... waiting on 12/15 when registration opens.

Jenn, what were some of the things covered in the Offroad 101 class? I won't be there for the entire week, so every day is precious.

·
Premium Member
13,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jenn, what were some of the things covered in the Offroad 101 class? I won't be there for the entire week, so every day is precious.
Off the top of my head...

They discussed things like various vehicle setups, choosing lines, appropriate use of lockers, how to get over obstacles without breaking your rig. The one disappointment was that they kinda zipped too quickly through recovery techniques, but they had new teachers this year and I think they got the sense that our group was a little more on the advanced (or confident) side. After the class, we ran a really fun trail that had plenty of challenges (and opportunities for applying theory to practice).

My parents both said after the course that they enjoyed it and they had both learned some great things that I had apparently failed to teach them. ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think I might be making a couple days out there. Definitely a noobie to gone and the Nissan community as a whole.

1 - 20 of 192 Posts