Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been on and off yes and no about plowing with my truck. i am going to plow 4-6 drive ways. pretty sure i am going to get meyers hts plow weights in about 460. will have to take off my spacers and get a add a leaf kit for the back leaves. also i might get coil overs for the extra weight. i am going to buy the plow soon just to get it super cheap.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
I assume you have done all the research on this topic and have fully accepted the possible failures.

I remember reading on CT that the Titan doesn't even have enough built-in safety factors to use a plow.

I assume you are 4x4, what about your front diff?

Also, since you are not a nismo, are you atleast a 6speed manual so you can install an ARB air locker or a TruTrac? If not, you may just end up spinning your passenger tire while trying to push all that weight since the plow is heavy and snow isn't light.

I am just not sure the Frontier can handle this type of work without some extreme modifications.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Go for it but only if you have an auto trans and light duty only as in friends' and families' driveways. We almost never see small plow trucks here, but they do exist (have yet to see a 2nd-gen Frontier). Also, the blades are tiny compared to the full-sized trucks.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
The most important thing is the size of the plow on a small truck. You have to go with the smallest plow (but NOT smaller than the truck) you can get for the truck. Most people use an old truck to plow with and around here, for the small trucks, its a Tacoma and I've seen plenty of them. I've even seen a Suzuki Samari with a 5' plow on it. None of this makes it right, but it has been done and if your not going to use it all day long day after day and your not stupid about the way you push the snow around (make shorter passes and push less snow) you'll have less trouble. I've also seen a lot of Jeep wranglers with plows and they don't even come close to our power. If your smart about how you plow and you don't treat your truck like it's running a Cummins Diesel, you should be relatively trouble free. It would also be a good idea to weigh down the back of your truck to make good traction. The only way the big 2WD trucks make traction is the spreader in the bed full of sand. Also if you didn't already know, 4 wheel high for faster plowing actually means for faster tranny failure. While doing the actual work, "PLOWING", you'll need to be in 4 wheel low. Other than that you should ask some other plow guys for plowing tips that will help keep your truck in good shape. Its not as easy as it looks the first time around and trial and error can be expensive.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
there is still snow this time of year?

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
there is still snow this time of year?
Uhhhh......no. It take some time to find the best set up for the truck and get it installed. More like just trying to be prepared and make sure it will work. With a full size truck, that will push any plow, you just need to think about how long you want you tranny to last, 7', 8', or 9' blade, the bigger the blade the shorter your tranny will live. Thats why you use an old truck, when something blows, you go to the junk yard and get another motor or tranny or whatever blew up and get another one.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
then your dealer lied to you.
Maybe not, if the weight of the plow exceeds the intended load capacity of the front suspension, it can void some warranty issues. My buddies new HD Chevy has torsion bars and the dealer said their not intended to carry a plow. They told him up front, if he put a plow on before the warranty was over, they wouldn't fix any issues related to it (for free).

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Maybe not, if the weight of the plow exceeds the intended load capacity of the front suspension, it can void some warranty issues. My buddies new HD Chevy has torsion bars and the dealer said their not intended to carry a plow. They told him up front, if he put a plow on before the warranty was over, they wouldn't fix any issues related to it (for free).
they cant just void the warranty by saying if you do this we will not cover it. they have to prove that any damage done was caused by the plow. they cant just up and void the warranty because they want to. i would check the fine print on the warranty though, just to CYA.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
they cant just void the warranty by saying if you do this we will not cover it. they have to prove that any damage done was caused by the plow. they cant just up and void the warranty because they want to. i would check the fine print on the warranty though, just to CYA.
If the plow exceeds the capacity of the front suspension, then they certainly can refuse to repair any front suspension related repairs (unless you pay for it). That means anything that they deem broken due to the overload. There are dealerships that will work with you because they want the work, but not all places are like that. The dealership my buddy bought his truck from is one that wont work with you and they told him that up front, so its his gamble.

·
Senior Forum Moderator
1,138 Posts

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
If the plow exceeds the capacity of the front suspension, then they certainly can refuse to repair any front suspension related repairs (unless you pay for it). That means anything that they deem broken due to the overload. There are dealerships that will work with you because they want the work, but not all places are like that. The dealership my buddy bought his truck from is one that wont work with you and they told him that up front, so its his gamble.
UM, not quite. they have to prove the plow caused the damage. they are obligated to fix and issues unless they can prove the plow caused the damage.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I don't see what the Big deal is...where is Mr Plow anyway???haha He will have some very useful information. I am sure you have all seen 4 wheelers with plows. They are running something like a 4-5 foot plow on a 600-700 cc engine with way less power than the VQ

As for the dealer issue...Any time I ever have a problem I always tell the dealer that I was just driving normally when such and such happened. They don't need to know you were plowing at the time, or were carrying a plow. They just need to know it's broke and needs to be fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
There is a thread going on now about tranny problems, where the tranny's went bad because of a bad tranny cooler. The tranny's are under warranty but not covered because the cooler was not and they were the cause. In short, there are dealers out there who's mission statement is to not do repairs that fall under warranty. So if you think that dealerships have to prove anything, your wrong, it's you who have to prove otherwise and probably with a lawyer. (if the particular dealer is problematic) Either way it's a gamble, or just wait until after the warranty is over and you'll know for sure that it's your problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts