Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
goin with a 9" for the rear so i can better match the front gear plus the yota housing is rusted inside
picked up a full width housing for $32 from a JY
got all the brackets cut off and down to bare tubes
then made a rear truss , reason i made it this way is because im still using leaf springs

then cleaned the axle up better today , plated the bottom of the axle with 1/4" and added a rear skid

·
Premium Member
1,875 Posts
nice!

·
Registered
862 Posts
That's a tough looking piece. I look forward to seeing some pictures of your truck catching air like the full blown race trucks.:)

Are you getting the Frontier ready for the Baja 500?

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
arron and nat are members of the "the few, the proud the rock crawlers" dont think thats gonna get that much air.

looks great man, i like that truss set up and diff slider

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks , i still need to drill a hole and weld in a bung for a drain plug , apparently 9" dont come with one so youd have to take apart the entire axle to drain the fluid :thatswck:

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
nice Aaron, less than 2 months. are ya'll bringing both trucks? and are you checking axle tube straightness for distortion after welding? Ive seen more than a couple axle bearings wiped out from misalignment from axle distortion. I dont know of a cheap DIY check, but there are jigs avail to check. You can also do a "poor mans posi" when you set up the
R n P by increasing side gear preload with shims. This makes it harder for the diff to overcome the preload applying power equally to both wheels....or are you just going to go with a locker?

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when i plated the actual housing i made sure i went side to side doin small beads , letting it cool then repeating
ill double check today somehow to make sure everything is still straight
as far as setup im goin with 5.42's detroit locker and 35 spline axle shafts with 6x5.5 bolt pattern , re-drilled 8.8 disk brakes

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
guy here in town does custom axle shafts , he builds some of the stuff for king of the hammers
IF HE DOES SETUPS, HE SHOULD HAVE A JIG TO CHECK AXLE TUBES FOR STRAIGHTNESS. ANYONE THAT SHORTENS, CHANGES HOUSING ENDS, ETC SHOULD HAVE IT CAUSE THEN ITS A NECCESITY. AFTER YOURE DONE iDE TAKE THE HOUSING TO HIM AND HAVE IT CHECKED WHEN HE MEASURES FOR AXLE LENGTH. YOU NEVER KNOW THE CONDITION OF JUNK YARD PARTS ANYWAY AND HOW THEY GOT THERE. YOU COULD EVEN HAVE LARGE BEARING HOUSING ENDS WELDED ON THEN IT WONT MATTER ANYWAY. THE ENDS WILL THEN BE TRUE

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
this axle already has the large axle bearing retainer ends :) , its from an 85-F150
and im pretty sure he has the jig or a buddy of his does because they had to straighten a ballistic 9" housing one of my buddies just put in his X

the guys are partners or something , one has letzroll offroad and the other is lost offroad

as far as the 3rd im not sure what he has planned but i know it wont be a stock 3rd case

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
looks like ill have to wait till after moab , unless i can find someone else
guy wants $1900 to set this up:thatswck:
i figured goin with a stock housing would drop his original price a little bit lol

for just the 3rd alone he wants 1550 , which i could buy a currie HP for less but they dont show the gear option i need

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
looks like ill have to wait till after moab , unless i can find someone else
guy wants $1900 to set this up:thatswck:
i figured goin with a stock housing would drop his original price a little bit lol

for just the 3rd alone he wants 1550 , which i could buy a currie HP for less but they dont show the gear option i need
yeah when it is all said it done going with a nice housing doesn't ad much more to the price.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah when it is all said it done going with a nice housing doesn't ad much more to the price.
$600 for the housing with end flanges welded on
ahh well gonna make some calls on monday or just piece everything together from vendors on pirate then take it to someone to get built

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
few pics of the housing mocked up along with a cross member for a possible 4 link or just an anti-wrap bar

so what ive got goin into it are 35 spline dutchman chromo axle shafts , found a used 35 spline detroit , strange S case (3.25 bearing) and 5.43 gears

1 - 20 of 28 Posts