Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Frontier Pro-4X
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my Frontier 6 months ago one of the things I knew I wanted for it was a Sport Bar. Once I started looking at them I discovered that there were almost none for the Frontier and the only advice I saw on here was to get one from overseas or have one custom built. Both of those options were above what I wanted to spend. The only one I found that definitely fit the Frontier is the Black Horse bar but pictures of it in one of the reviews show the mounting brackets are offset and the bars actually come down half on the rail and half in the bed. That would not work with my bed cover which I have to keep plus it is over $500. I contacted Go Rhino to check the dimensions of their Sport Bar 3.0 for midsize trucks and despite the Frontier not being listed as compatible it seemed like it would fit. Since it is less than $300 I decided to take a chance and it fits pretty good. I did have to buy longer bolts to mount to the bed rails but I was able to avoid using the finicky rivnuts since the holes come out inside the bed. Two things to keep in mind though, this bar does cover the third brake light so I added an LED strip below the bar on the rear window. Also the fit of all of the individual pieces could be better. When I first put the bar together on my bench I found that the rear was about 2 inches narrower than the front. After all of the adjusting that I could manage it is still about an inch different. Since the bases have slotted holes this does not prevent mounting on the truck and you really don't notice it once it is on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was also interested in a sports bar but finally gave up. Not many choices and most will cover up the rear cab lights and replace with something inferior to oem. Did find a fiberglass one I liked made in Greece and one that could be painted to match body. However they are cast into one piece and cannot be shipped to the US. After that I threw in the towel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have not seen a Sport Bar in a long time. Reminds me of the older Trucks that used to have them such as the the older Broncos and Toyotas used to come like that from the dealer. Im curious to as what are there uses? Mainly extra lights? Looks good though I dig it.

·
Registered
2019, Nissan Frontier SV 4x4, Arctic Blue.
212 Posts
I've never heard the term "sport bar" before I've always known these as Headache racks. Anyone know if there is a discern-able difference between the two terms?

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
913 Posts
I've always known them all rollbars, but this one obviously is just for looks, maybe mount lights on or something. Kinda a neat retro look.
Headache rack i thought had the screen behind the window so nothing could slide in and knock you in the back of the head.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Been searching the net for Sport Bars or roll bars didnt know theres about 3 or 4 companies that make them. One of them looks pretty decent for a roll bar. Interesting though.

·
Registered
2019 CC SV 4X4
40 Posts
I've never heard the term "sport bar" before I've always known these as Headache racks. Anyone know if there is a discern-able difference between the two terms?
A headache rack has bars to keep things from going through the back glass during sudden (violent) stops.
headache.jpeg

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have plans to drill through the bed rails soon for a bracket. I noticed that beneath the bed rails there are two levels of sheet metal, one that is the direct underside of the rail, and another a half inch or so below that, with slots spaced intermittently down the length of the rail. Did you drill through both and put a nut on the underside, or just through the top layer and use of the slots/cut your own hole for nut access?

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I like them just for looks, I think it would look even better on a KC with the longer bed.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,580 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Frontier Pro-4X
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have plans to drill through the bed rails soon for a bracket. I noticed that beneath the bed rails there are two levels of sheet metal, one that is the direct underside of the rail, and another a half inch or so below that, with slots spaced intermittently down the length of the rail. Did you drill through both and put a nut on the underside, or just through the top layer and use of the slots/cut your own hole for nut access?
I did drill though both layers of metal and put the nuts on the underside. For access from the bottom your holes will have to be pretty close to the inside edge of the bed, mine are centered about 1" from the edge.

I was also not familiar with the term sport bar, I had always called it a roll bar until I started looking for this one. I suspect the lawyers took care of that terminology long ago, this thing would definitely be of no assistance in a roll over. I have been considering some lights to complete the look but they would mostly be for looks as I don't predict I will be doing much night time wheeling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts