Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine just bought a Toyota Tacoma. He came up to show it off knowing I just bought the Frontier. I was not impressed. That is the cheesiest made truck I've seen in awhile. Rides stiff, looks cheap, plastic bed, plastic tie downs, stiff ride, outdated interior, narrow cab, 3.4 V6.

I just didn't like it at all. Of course I didn't tell him that. He paid 24K for a base model and I paid 16K for much more truck with many more standard features and a car like feel.

It's obvious to me that Toyota is on a downslide.

Larry:)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
glad you're happy with your truck, toyota definitely can't compare with nissan price wise. that being said, i love the late 90's toyota''s, my buddy had a 1997 extended cab 4x4, it was a hell of a truck

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm a fan of the older Toyotas, but the current Tacoma didn't do it for me when I was truck shopping in Dec 09. The Tacoma just didn't make any sense. Less power while requiring premium gas, a poor tie down system, and rear drums are all big differences between it and the Frontier. Couple that with a driving experience that I didn't like as well, and an interior that also just didn't do anything for me, and there wasn't any reason to consider the Tacoma, even before you factor in the higher price of the Toyota.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Came from a 1st gen Tacoma into my Frontier.
I couldn't justify the Toyota price tag this time around for basically less truck then what you get with Nissan.
Frontier>Tacoma and costs less.

What sold me on the 2nd Generation Frontier (vs. the Tacoma):
More HP
Better ergonomics in the interior
Much better looking
Disc brakes on four corners
more ground clearance
Sunroof option (yes I have one)
Strong 6 speed gear box compared to Toyota

Welcome aboard Clubfrontier.org, you made a good choice and I'm sure your truck will treat you well.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,889 Posts
i actually felt the other way around about the toyota when i drove them both before buying the frontier - the toyota suspension was much softer and car-like than the stiffer and truck-like suspension of the frontier.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
my buddy's taco has a lot more ground clearence than mine. but his is an 01 whereas mine is a 2gen so the years dont exactly match up. but i agree, for the price of a stripped down taco one could have a frontier with all the bells and whistles.

only reason i would buy a taco(would be a late 90's) would be to beat on it.

of course this forum will be biased but i do feel like between nissan and toyota, the frontier is better for the money and a better vehicle

·
Registered
250 Posts
one thing i cant stand about tacomas that i havent seen anyone mention is the fender flares, if you look at the painted ones, the are all bumpy and look like crap. you can tell they used the same textured plastic flares as the unpainted ones but they dont smooth them out. thats just lazy and bluntly cutting corners.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
i actually felt the other way around about the toyota when i drove them both before buying the frontier - the toyota suspension was much softer and car-like than the stiffer and truck-like suspension of the frontier.
That was my experience with my 05 Tacoma; car-like ride. That being said I feel like my 06 Fronty is a much more capable truck and not a Camry on stilts. Only thing I miss is the 6-speed :(

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
A friend of mine just bought a Toyota Tacoma. He came up to show it off knowing I just bought the Frontier. I was not impressed. That is the cheesiest made truck I've seen in awhile. Rides stiff, looks cheap, plastic bed, plastic tie downs, stiff ride, outdated interior, narrow cab, 3.4 V6.

I just didn't like it at all. Of course I didn't tell him that. He paid 24K for a base model and I paid 16K for much more truck with many more standard features and a car like feel.

It's obvious to me that Toyota is on a downslide.

Larry:)
I thought the new tacos have a 4.0L V6?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tacoma is a nice truck overall- comparable with the Frontier. Way overpriced is the biggest problem. I just bought a 2010 Frontier for thousands less than a similar Tacoma. I have to agree about the interior of the Tacoma... looks like it is right out of 1995, not something from a 2005 design. Who puts a cigarette lighter in a car these days?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Tacoma is a nice truck overall- comparable with the Frontier. Way overpriced is the biggest problem. I just bought a 2010 Frontier for thousands less than a similar Tacoma. I have to agree about the interior of the Tacoma... looks like it is right out of 1995, not something from a 2005 design. Who puts a cigarette lighter in a car these days?
x2

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He thought it was a 3.4. Maybe it was a 4.0. They sure aren't too proud of it though, I couldn't find anything in the engine compartment that indicated the size of the engine.

His truck was just too basic for me. i drove a 2009 Tacoma Sport Crew earlier in the year and wasn't impressed with anything but the rear camera that popped up in the mirror when you shifted to reverse. I thought that was pretty cool but not worth the 27K sticker price.

Larry

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm going to have to investigate this plastic bed deal....I haven't seen one yet. It seems laughable. I never really considered a tacoma because I didn't like specs. If they still made the smaller one from the late 90s/early 2000s I'd have beem more apt to investigate. It's also just a little too long to fit in my short garage.

I did look at a Tacoma Forum a while back and nobody could really trash the frontier. As a matter of fact several people came to it's defense as at least an equal truck. Most dudes on there seemed like they picked the tacoma based on looks rather than specs.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just bought my Frontier last week, but while I was shopping a drove a 4 cylinder Tacoma. It was pretty lame. 5th gear was pretty much useless unless you were going downhill. I chose the Frontier because it has less miles, more power, more room, a 6 spd, and about the same price tag as the Tacoma. I'm confident that I made a good decision. I love the truck so far. Much more fun to drive than the Hemi Ram that I traded for it.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I'm going to have to investigate this plastic bed deal....I haven't seen one yet. It seems laughable. I never really considered a tacoma because I didn't like specs. If they still made the smaller one from the late 90s/early 2000s I'd have beem more apt to investigate. It's also just a little too long to fit in my short garage.
2005 taco bed cleat FAILURE!! - TTORA Forum

·
Registered
880 Posts
I don't think Tacoma is nearly as bad as a lot of Frontier fans want them to be. They are a very well built truck. My love for imports started with Toyota and will end with Toyota. Not saying I don't love my truck, cause I do very much. That being said, the family of a close friend of mine all drive toyotas, 2 tacos, 1 tundra, and a camry. Each one of these toyotas was a replacement for the model before it (lease returns, etc.) every 4 years. Now, out of the 8-10 toyotas I have seen this family own, not one of them has ever had any problems like the ones you could find just at RANDOM roaming our site. And thats just for our one model of vehicle. Not trying to start any fights, just giving my opinion. As for the composite bed. Who cares. Half of the serious offroaders here are gona put on fiberglass fenders and such any how. And it's not like the truck was meant for payload like a 3/4ton, or even a 1/2ton. And on top of that (could be about to stick foot in mouth) has anyone heard of a broken box on a taco yet??? I haven't. I know of a dumb *** who owns a taco, he hauls, beats and jumps the **** out of it, without even any real suspension work and has never broken a box. [email protected]$t, if I even did half the things he does with his truck, I would be needing to replace more than just a motor right now.

MY $.02

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
As for the composite bed. Who cares. Half of the serious offroaders here are gona put on fiberglass fenders and such any how. And it's not like the truck was meant for payload like a 3/4ton, or even a 1/2ton.
That makes no since. The whole purpose of having a truck is the bed.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry, but I have a hard time accepting the longetivity of the assembly. I would think that the weak link in the bed will be at the point where the plastic is bolted to the metal exterior. With any hard use I would bet the holes will get rounded out and enlarged causing the bed to get loosey goosey over the long run. Besides that, the composite bed bottom is so slippery it's like having a plastic bed liner in the bed. In fact, it's exactly the same. I'll take a spray in LineX liner any day. About the only thing you could do in the new Tacos is to put a rubber mat in to help keep things in place.

I had my experience with plastic bed liners before. They are slippery dry and much worse wet. I've been flat on my arse a couple of times because of it in my full size Ford before having a liner sprayed in.

I know why they did it though. To lighten the truck for better fuel economy. My experience with Tacos tells me they needed to do something.

Larry

1 - 20 of 28 Posts