Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put on a set of 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Authority's (wal mart only tire) yesterday. I needed a set of tires as the stockers were done for. I added the 1.5" spacer a while back and when I put these tires on they rubbed a little. I had to trim some plastic around the wheel well, but I think if I took the spacers out they would probably fit with no rubbing. I like the look of the spacers so I just did a little trimming, no big deal. I really like the look of the tire, really aggressive. The ride is better than the stockers. The only downside is the noise which isn't too bad yet, but I imagine they will just get louder with wear. They balanced pretty well but I do have a slight shimmy and I might try to get them balanced somewhere besides wal mart. I'll keep everyone posted on how they wear and handle the mud and snow during hunting season. I'll post up some pics as soon as I get some.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i have definitley been eyeing this tire and from everything i have read these are a really decent tire. definitley keep us updated

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be driving about 300 miles over the next three days and I'll let you know how they do. So far I really like them, but I've only driven about 25 miles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: I've put about 600 miles on the tires with a little minor off roading as well. So far, so good. The noise that I was worried about is really not that bad. So far, no noticeable wear. I do have a little wobble between 60 and 70 mph. I think I'll take them back and try to get them balanced again since I paid for the lifetime balancing. I'll check back in a couple of thousand miles and let you know how they are doing. Shouldn't be too long since hunting season is starts next week and I'll be driving a lot.

Forgot to mention that I took a noticeable hit in fuel mileage. I know my odometer is off by about 3%, but even accounting for that I lost a good 1-2 mpg. I expected this though, but just wanted to let you know.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I looked at some at walmart last night. They seem like they'd be a bit unstable at higher speeds. Alot of flex in the treads.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haven't noticed any instability at any speed. I've put over 200 miles on them at 75 mph with no problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had those on my SPORTRAC, noise is for sure and issue. After they gave out I went with the A/T michlans, better mpg, much lower noise. However It all depents on what your driving will be. 75+ off road or 50/50. For me at this time it will be about 40/60. So on my PRO-4X, when the BFG rough turane tires run out I will go with an A/T tires, maybe a Michlans or BFG A/T. The Goodyears are good tires, but the noise level is a little to much for me.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Definately keep the updates coming. I've been eying these everytime I'm in Walmart for some time now. Really considering them when my stockers are shot.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got exactly 1,000 miles on them now. No noticable wear. Still like them pretty much still fit the description I gave of my first impression of them. Got in a little mud this morning and they really have a good bite. The only major downside so far has been the 2 mpg drop in fuel mileage. The noise is still noticable, but not any louder than when new. I think I'm used to it now and it doesn't bother me any more.

·
Super Moderator
11,530 Posts
I put on a set of 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Authority's (wal mart only tire) yesterday. I needed a set of tires as the stockers were done for. I added the 1.5" spacer a while back and when I put these tires on they rubbed a little. I had to trim some plastic around the wheel well, but I think if I took the spacers out they would probably fit with no rubbing. I like the look of the spacers so I just did a little trimming, no big deal. I really like the look of the tire, really aggressive. The ride is better than the stockers. The only downside is the noise which isn't too bad yet, but I imagine they will just get louder with wear. They balanced pretty well but I do have a slight shimmy and I might try to get them balanced somewhere besides wal mart. I'll keep everyone posted on how they wear and handle the mud and snow during hunting season. I'll post up some pics as soon as I get some.
That is a stock Nismo tire size so I am surprised it rubbed at all.

Clint

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Don't know if it was because I have the 1.5" spacers or not, but they rubbed pretty good.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Depnds on the tire. I put stock size 265/75/16 toyo open country a/t's on my nismo and both fronts rubbed pretty good. Taking off the mud flaps solved 95% of that though...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea the mudflaps solved most of my problem, but I had to trim some of the plastic liner around the wheel well.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Me too, not much though...
would like to go to 285/75/16 next time around. Doing the GB for the 653 bilstiens, just to level it. wonder if they will rub any worse? I was looking at the goodyears, but I got really good price on the toyos. been really pleased with them. much better off road than the stock tires (they were gone at 30k miles)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm thinking of doing the 2" bilstein 5100 front shock lift and the 2" add a leaf to the rear. I don't know if this will make the rubbing better or worse though.

By the way, I drove about 400 miles yesterday on the tires at 70-80 mph with no problems. I have not noticed any instability that others have asked about. I was still able to manage just over 20 mpg, but before the new tires on the same trip I got 21.5 mpg.

·
Registered
503 Posts
i was up at walmart last night looking at these (again) and kinda priced them out... 700 dollars out the door for 265/75/16's. they actually said they would mount them i just had to sign a waiver to go up from the 265/70's. man these tires look awesome. for the price i would say they are hard to beat

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They didn't say anything to me about the tire size. I also had 265/70's before, but I didn't have to sign a waiver. I think with mount/balance and lifetime rotation and balance I paid about $800 out the door. I was considering the Duratracs but they would have run almost $1000 for the same size.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I now have about 3k miles on the tires. Still like them. I got them in some serious mud a few days ago and they performed impressivley. No comparison to the stockers. I actually had some fun because I wasn't worried about sliding into the ditch and getting stuck. The tires are wearing really well (no noticable wear yet). The noise is still there but still bearable. The only complaint I have is I can't seem to get them balanced just right. I had them rebalanced after 1000 miles but they still wobble a little between 60 and 70 mph. I'm going to try again next time I have a chance to get them balanced.

Bottom line: If you expect to get into some deep mud, these are the best tires that I have had for mud (and I've had a lot).

1 - 20 of 39 Posts