Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OKay so I call the local dealer here and ask him about pricing for the Gibson system and he proceeds to tell me that the Magnaflow setup is much better then both the Gibson and JBA setup. What are your guys views on this?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Well, this takes us back to the continuing debate on whether it's better to replace the Y pipe or leave it stock! The Gibson and JBA replace it, the MagnaFlow, leaves the stock Y pipe.

Personally, I won't buy a system that requires me to cut the stock exhaust system! This is just personal preference, but if you ever want to go back to stock, you're pretty much screwed if you cut the stock system in half to install an aftermarket exhaust!

This doesn't neccessarily mean one is better than the other, performance wise, I don't think that's actually been determined yet, by independent third party testing (although we may be getting close with a dyno of the Zoomer Exhaust this weekend).

This is just my personal perference. Case in point, I bought the Banks exhaust (full system w/Y pipe) and didn't care for it. So, I was able to remove it and replace my in-tact stock exhaust system. Had I bought one of the systems that required me to chop my stock system in half, I'd have had to have someone weld it back together to make it stock again (at an additional cost). So, with these exhaust systems being so varied (and mostly untested), I choose to only purchase a complete system, just in case...

Again, no flames, just my rational for how I would make my purchase decision!

·
Registered
538 Posts
He probably had some extra units to move.

How would know what the JBA is like, they have'nt even released their final product yet.
They are still making changes to it.

I would keep posted on this site. There are enough members here who are buying different exhaust systems that eventually, you will see some good reviews and maybe some independent dyno testing (which we have already seen).

I dont believe most sales people. You have to be weary of their hidden agenda.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
This doesn't neccessarily mean one is better than the other, performance wise, I don't think that's actually been determined yet, by independent third party testing (although we may be getting close with a dyno of the Zoomer Exhaust this weekend).
I called Stillen's to see if I could make an appt for the zoomers dyno. They said it was first come, first serve basis. I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
sandiegan05fronty said:
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
I called Stillen's to see if I could make an appt for the zoomers dyno. They said it was first come, first serve basis. I'll see what I can do.
I hope they can squeeze you in! I'm sure you're really interested in the results, and there are lots of folks here that are too! I realize dynoing two different trucks in two different locations (Texas and California) won't excatly produce scientific quality test data, but what the heck, it's probably the closest we'll ever get to an actual comparison of the systems with and without a Y pipe! Thanks for your efforts, and I hope you get in!

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
sandiegan05fronty said:
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
I hope they can squeeze you in! I'm sure you're really interested in the results, and there are lots of folks here that are too! I realize dynoing two different trucks in two different locations (Texas and California) won't excatly produce scientific quality test data, but what the heck, it's probably the closest we'll ever get to an actual comparison of the systems with and without a Y pipe! Thanks for your efforts, and I hope you get in!
Hey did you happen to see the article I posted in regards to the Eco System? I know we had lost some info yesterday.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I live in an apartment, so I had no room to store my old exhaust system, basically I had to let the dealer keep it for free. However, I feel real good about my Gibson exhaust, it's stainless steel, so it will last the lifetime of my truck, and it is the most conservative sounding one out there for the performance increase. I have a hard time hearing it even when I try. The Gibson is supposed to increase HP and Torque, so you're not losing out by replacing the Y-Pipe because of the new resonator. Good luck with your decision.

Question, does the dealer that told you the Magnaflow is better than the Gibson or JBA only sell the Magnaflow brandname? Watch out for upselling or biased information.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
sandiegan05fronty said:
Hey did you happen to see the article I posted in regards to the Eco System? I know we had lost some info yesterday.
Yes I did and responded, but that was lost as well!

Ever since they gave one away in the drawing, I've not heard a thing about them! The guy who won has not been back, so we'll probably never see a review. I really wish one of the regulars whould have won it, at least they would have done a review that would have benefited others! I also asked about the possibility of a group buy, but never heard anything...

I even went so far as to contact the vendor and offered to do a write-up and review on this board if he sold me one at a discount, but I've never heard back from him either! For someone who is supposedly a sponsor of this forum, I've never seen him post here!

He has commented a couple times on the Titan forum, but he's not got a consistant presence on these boards. Oh well, I guess we'll never know! But, like you and many others here, I am interested in the product, but I'm not so sure I want to fork out the bucks to be the guinea pig on this one either!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I didn't realize the magnaflow setup required cutting/welding etc or didn't come with a increased diameter Y - pipe. Knowing that now (cause you guys provided all the info , thanks Paul) . I think I,m going to order up the Gibson locally unless Jason can provide me with a price and shipping on the Gibson.

The dealer provides all systems, JBA (his opinion your paying for the name), Gibson(salesman said it was over priced) and he recommended Magnaflow because I can get it $100 cheaper then the other 2 and it is stainless.

I'm still leaning towards the Gibson though.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
05FRONTY said:
The dealer provides all systems, JBA (his opinion your paying for the name), Gibson(salesman said it was over priced) and he recommended Magnaflow because I can get it $100 cheaper then the other 2 and it is stainless.

I'm still leaning towards the Gibson though.
And now you know why it's $100.00 cheaper! Actually, the JBA is cheaper than the Gibson, so It's not the name you're paying for. Besides, as another member pointed out, the JBA hasn't even been released yet, so how can he form an opinion of a system that's not yet on the market!

If he's pushing you toward one system and those are the best reasons he can come up with, I'd be looking for another source! Check the post on here about Autoanything.com, we figured a way to get the Gibson for less than $350.00 shipped!

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I had a Gibson on my 2000 Frontier and it was a nice system.Now i'm waiting for JBA to ship my exhaust system. :( But if i had it to do all over again,there would be a Gibson system on my truck right now.I'm getting tried of waiting,JBA better be worth waiting for.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Frontier2... Just remember the ole addage: Good thing come to those who wait! I think you're getting an awsome deal on your JBA system, and the fact they keep revising it because it hasn't met their standards yet, I take that as a good sign! No sense shelling out that kind of money just to be disappointed! Been there, done that, don't want to do it again! :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts