Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got my truck about 2 months ago, its got about 5250 miles on it
I was driving around sunday and it was kinda sluggish, i went through an intersection and the engine started making a really loud, puttering noise. so i put the clutch out and drifted into the closest parking lot.

the oil light was on so i checked the oil, it was fine. I got it flat bedded to the Nissan dealership and they said i had to get the engine replaced. :evil:

so now i get to wait 2+ weeks to drive my truck again... :cry:

i dunno if this is a common problem, i doubt it is. but just a heads up for other frontier owners...

maybe they'll drop a titan v8 in it :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,963 Posts
PhotoPirate said:
i got my truck about 2 months ago, its got about 5250 miles on it
I was driving around sunday and it was kinda sluggish, i went through an intersection and the engine started making a really loud, puttering noise. so i put the clutch out and drifted into the closest parking lot.

the oil light was on so i checked the oil, it was fine. I got it flat bedded to the Nissan dealership and they said i had to get the engine replaced. :evil:

so now i get to wait 2+ weeks to drive my truck again... :cry:

i dunno if this is a common problem, i doubt it is. but just a heads up for other frontier owners...

maybe they'll drop a titan v8 in it :lol:





Yeah you wish! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
460 Posts
Yeah that would be great if you could get a detailed explanation what happened. Could be a Recall !
 

·
SHIFT_Otaku(Assist - Adm)
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
more information requested...

I think this is a great concern to all of us....

and I am a n00b on the board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
WHAT!

Engine replaced. Whatever! Find out what the problem was and do not have the engine replaced. Only 5k on it. You should demand a new vehicle. Screw getting the engine replaced. I will guarantee you that it will only cause more problems down the road. The dealership should give you a new truck for an engine replacement. No way dude. You should request a new vehicle since it sounds like a lemon. New engine new problems. Later. Demand it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
WHAT!

Engine replaced. Whatever! Find out what the problem was and do not have the engine replaced. Only 5k on it. You should demand a new vehicle. Screw getting the engine replaced. I will guarantee you that it will only cause more problems down the road. The dealership should give you a new truck for an engine replacement. No way dude. You should request a new vehicle since it sounds like a lemon. New engine new problems. Later. Demand it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Well it sucks to have probs with a new truck, but they are not going to replace the whole truck. A single engine failure does not constite a lemon. Unless there are recurring problems that are unable to be fixed you probably arent going to be able to invoke a lemon law

But really a new engine should not have the same problems as the old, and should be as good as the engine in any new truck anyway
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
361 Posts
Was that it? You took it in and they said it needed a new engine?

No whining? No blaming you for the problem? No trying to fix it a dozen times with no success?

This is a little scarey. It sounds fishy. Unless, Nissan already knew of an existing problem with the engine.

PLEASE, please get an explanation. I'm planing on a long trip in June. Up to Yellowstone then onto Alaska. I don't want to have to worry about an engine failure 500 miles from nowhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
^^^^ you won't have a problem. this is the only VQ engine i have heard of needing replacement. if it were a problem the net would be full of us bitching about our engines.

.02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,963 Posts
When i worked at Nissan in 01 i replaced a 4 cyl.motor in a truck that had 5,000 miles on it.1 of the coolant bypass hoses had a small leak and the owner ran it hot,toasted it.The cyl.'s had a golden brown color and # 3 piston had an area were it looked like the piston was starting to melt.Nissan didn't want to take any chances on rebuilding it so we long blocked it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,363 Posts
The narrative said the oil pressure light was on yet the oil level was good. My guess is that the oil pump died and starved the engine of oil. The remedy is a new enigne.

If this is so, what caused the oil pump to die?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
they called today and said the oil pump died.
they hadnt seen it before in a new car for a long time.

and i should get it back in a week and a half :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
PhotoPirate said:
they called today and said the oil pump died.
they hadnt seen it before in a new car for a long time.

and i should get it back in a week and a half :?
WTF??? thats it! "oil pump died." have a nice day! lol PhotoPirate please do your best on finding out what happen in detail if you can that is. Will my oil pump died @ 5k? ill make them replace it now! I'm planing on going to NV at the end of May. ......... dam i :? now...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
mmendezm3power said:
WTF??? thats it! "oil pump died." have a nice day! lol PhotoPirate please do your best on finding out what happen in detail if you can that is. Will my oil pump died @ 5k? ill make them replace it now! I'm planing on going to NV at the end of May. ......... dam i :? now...
I think you are over reacting a bit. Nissan makes Millions of VQ series engines and if
there was an issue with the engine failing it would be all over the net. This is the
first and only oi lpump failure I have seen posted anywhere. Components fail,
even new ones from time to time. This components failure just had bigger
consequences than most. I have total confidence in the VQ series engine
that resides under the hood of my Nissan.

.02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
RDNF said:
mmendezm3power said:
WTF??? thats it! "oil pump died." have a nice day! lol PhotoPirate please do your best on finding out what happen in detail if you can that is. Will my oil pump died @ 5k? ill make them replace it now! I'm planing on going to NV at the end of May. ......... dam i :? now...
I think you are over reacting a bit. Nissan makes Millions of VQ series engines and if
there was an issue with the engine failing it would be all over the net. This is the
first and only oi lpump failure I have seen posted anywhere. Components fail,
even new ones from time to time. This components failure just had bigger
consequences than most. I have total confidence in the VQ series engine
that resides under the hood of my Nissan.

.02
Ya i know... :( It just that i'm planning to invest in it "mod's" it would kill me if i found out that theres something major wrong with the engine.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top