Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read through quite a few threads here about suspension and the like and came away with a few questions that you guys can probably answer. I got confused at various points, or just flat out didn't understand what it was I was reading.

I currently have the Bilstein 5100's adjustable ride height shocks on the front of my truck and the non adjustable 5100's in the rear. I have always had the front set to 2.5" of lift, and have never had an issue - just a tad bit stiff, but now I've read removing the sway bar may actually help that stiffness.

So with what that being said, and from what I have read, here are a few of my questions:

1) I've read about adding a H/MD raised front coil and getting 3" of lift. The 70 page thread I was reading seemed to get all over the place as it went on and I had to give up and read the last few pages, but opinions seemed to have shifted? Is adding the H/MD raised front coil to the Bilstein 5100 ride adj. shock possible? If not, is there anything else that would get me to 3" with my current shocks? I did read that the adj. 5100's don't like anything but the stock coils, why would it not like after market coils?

2) Because of the shocks in the front sitting at 2.5", the back end sags just a *tiny* bit, and I'm trying to avoid it. Certainly doesn't look like a lifted bro truck, but it sags just enough to bug me. It seems that to level it, an add a leaf pack would be best. Have I understood that correctly? If I did put Nisstec 2" inch packs on, does that actually level the truck, or now put the back end slightly higher than the front?

Thanks for everyone's time helping me straighten out some of my confusion on the matter. I've learned a bit about electrical work reading forums and working on my Xterra previously, so I hope to some what self teach myself about suspension - because frankly, the mechanic gets expensive. lol

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
You want to raise the front a 1/2" more?
If so,I would just use a set of spacers then lower the adjustment on the shocks. This should decrease the stiffness also.
Is the rear lifted at all? If so how was it done? Simplest and cheapest is a set of blocks.
H/MD coils?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
You want to raise the front a 1/2" more?
If so,I would just use a set of spacers then lower the adjustment on the shocks. This should decrease the stiffness also.
Is the rear lifted at all? If so how was it done? Simplest and cheapest is a set of blocks.
H/MD coils?
Well, if I had read the main thread about suspension like I think I did, I should be able to drop my adjustable bilstein 5100 down to 2", then put a new spring coil on from some one like OME or TMJ. In doing so, I'd get that 3" of lift, right? Or did I totally misunderstand that all together? I also couldn't figure out if this was a good practice or not.

As for the rear, it sits at 2" because of the bilstein shock in the rear. It's a non-adjustable, I believe it sits at 2". Thus, the whole rear sags .5" lower than the front. I couldn't quite make sense of the AAL concept in the sense of whether that would help the issue or not.

H/MD coil - Heavy/Medium duty coil.

I apologize if these questions are confusing or the answers are obvious. I'm not heavily mechanically inclined, but I'm trying to learn by reading and making an attempt to understand the material I'm reading.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
What is the spring rate of your stock coils?
What is the spring rate of a heavy/medium coil?
That is where the problem lies.You need to know the spring rates to determine what spring rate will raise it a 1/2".
Also by going with new coils that give you the 3" you want,your droop with be limited.
If you adjust down to 2" and run a 1" spacer ,your droop will actually increase by1/2" and won't be as stiff.
If your rear suspension is higher than stock, it is not because of the shocks. Shocks do not support a vehicle.Springs support the vehicle.
AAL will increase the height,generally because of the arc, Even if there is no arc it will
Increase the thickness of the new springs. I would just run blocks the thickness you want to raise it.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I am looking to do the adjustable 5100's set on the second notch and lift coils. the coils provide 1.5" of lift and with the 5100's i should see 2-2.5 of total lift in the front. You could try the third notch but i heard it can be harsh riding.

Your rear is not lifted. It sounds like you installed shocks for a 2" lift which have not done anything for you. If you need small amounts or think you will be adjusting the front later on, you could get adjustable shackles which allow you to raise it anywhere from .5" to 2". They will flatten the rear springs faster though.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
He said he is at 2.5" now. He wants a 1/2" more. Did I misunderstand?

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
OP, are you 4x4 or 4x2?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
He said he is at 2.5" now. He wants a 1/2" more. Did I misunderstand?
Nope. I was stating my plan and that he could try setting them on higher notches with the lift spring and that might get him to 3"

·
Registered
66 Posts
Option 1: Buy the 1.5" spacer and SPC control arm package from PRG. It's made to run with the 5100. This will get you the 3" lift you want and decrease the stiffness significantly.

Option 2: get some MD or HD coils and run them with your 5100's at the lowest setting. Buy aftermarket UCA's and you'll have about 3" of lift. Run this at your own risk.

Option 3: save your money for an extended travel setup from Nisstec or PRG

As for the rear. You need to get lift shackles, blocks, or an AAL. The shocks do not provide any lift to the rear. It's a combination of components just like the front. I recommend the 2" AAL. This will raise the rear and level it with 3" lift in the front. Frontiers already have "rake" to them ( the front sits lower ) so if you do the AAL now, it will sit like it does from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey all,

Sorry for not responding. I was getting notification but hadn't for the last day or so. I was just curious if I had read the information right and understood it. It appears I did not.

After talking with some one else, it sounds like the easiest solution is a coilover with the lift I desire and then throwing something like a AAL in the rear as mentioned above.

I'm not looking to anything in the near future. My Bilstein's are still in great shape and I've got what I need. However, I was just trying to make sense of what I was reading. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts