Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I've got too much camber. Guessing it's at least 2 degrees negitive. Truck handles good, real good. Just a little oversteer when I need it, but it's time to give up a lttle (-) camber. Sick of rotating my tires every 3K or so to keep them straight.
It all started w/this fool in a Dodge Viper. He popped out of a blind spot and parked it broadside to me in my thru lane. Kicked in the abs big time and missed his head, that was just about bumper level, couldn't quite clear him and my left front tire hit square on his left rear tire. Took a little fender/flare/bumper damage and must've bent something. This was a couple years ago. (Sent that viper 50 feet or so, backwards, down the opposite lane, btw. Tore the whole rear out of it.)
Did a backyard alignment, mostly camber, and took it to an alignment guy. He did a good job and left me w/a slight pull to the left. Hardly noticeable. My backyard camber adjustment was right on the money, btw.
Since then I got a little lazy and let a pair of Firehawks spend a little too long on the front. They set w/that - camber. (not what the alignment specs state, but what I'm observing). Man, I lost 20K on those tires. Well, it's time to rotate my solid rears to the front an get two new for the rr. But I probably need to replace something.
Oh, yeah, I also get a singing sound, kinda like a wheel bearing starting to go south. I can feel it slightly in the steering wheel and on the petals and floorboards. Very slightly. I've packed the bearings, changed the pads (but it's a rotational singing), and replaced the tire/wheels on the front, Nothing changed the slight pitch of the singing.
I'm thinking I need to replace my spindles, bearings and rotors, rotate my square tires to the front and get an alignment. Man, I hate alignments. It's always a half baked job. Maybe I'll just buy the wrench(s) I need to adjust my toe and do a string, protractor, and level job. It'd be close enough. Cut my camber in half and go w/that.

So, there it is. Best I can explain it. What's everyone's opinion on the damaged spindle?
And hold the cracks on my square tires to a minimum. :)

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No opinions on the bad spindle?
160K, I guess it's about time for rotors and bearings anyway. Think I'll just change the left front spindle when I do the major brake job.
I'll pick up the spindle, bearings, and seals at the dealer and order the $50 Brembro rotors at tire rack. I'll talk to Gus at the parts store about pads. Probably just go w/whatever's guaranteed forever since I'm replacing $20 pads every 25K and $80 pads every 35K.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
A spindle isnt usually something that wears out and if it broke, youd know it. One thing you should do is check your front end parts, such as tie rods and ball joints. If your getting up into that high of mileage and never replaced them chances are they are on the verge of going bad. That could help with your alignment wear. As far as the humming you hear, it could be the bearings going out. Simply repacking them can help, but its more of a quick fix. Better off to just replace them all when you do the brakes.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure the balls and ties are still good, plus the humming is a rotational hum, so that wouldn't apply to ball or ties. I repacked the bearings just to see if that would change anything, even temporary. It didn't. Same w/the tires. Rotated good rears to the front, same side, w/no change.
That's why I'm thinking spindles. Only other thing I can think of that is rotating. Also, I hit that Viper w/my left front tire, square on, so I gotta figure the problem lies in there. I know the sounds of driveline components so I don't think it's related to my clutch, tranny, driveshaft, or rear. Those are distinct sounds that would change when I hit the clutch. This is a slight hum that matches my road speed, not my rpms.
I will jack it up and check the ft. end components, but I'm thinkin' an alignment shop would jump on something like a bad ball or tie. Easy money. W/my mileage I'm thinkin' bushings could use replacing, but that wouldn't apply to the hum either. Spindle's the only thing I can think of.
The negitive camber's pretty much a factory setting. It's been wearing tires on the inside since day 1. I just rotated a lot to offset that. I like the handling.
Most people wouldn't even notice the hum, but I've got a pretty good ear. The sounds of my vehicle are my tunes, most days.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For sure, but the wear isn't the problem, really. Just my laziness when it comes to rotating tires. With all that negitive camber I have to rotate every 3K to keep the tires straight, but man, does she handle. Does a 360 degree entrance ramp, at speed, like a snake. Just enough oversteer (after my aals settled in). Tracks good and steering comes back to center after a turn. I'm gonna knock a little camber off and give it a little more toe. That should get my rotations to 5K. I can live w/that.
It's just that I'm getting ready to replace my original rotors, maybe one more set of cheap pads. New Brembos, bearings, pads, and a flush is coming. But I'm pretty sure that won't take care of the hum. Still thinking spindle.
The hum: it's exactly like the harmonic sound you hear w/an alumnium extention ladder on top. I missed it for a year because I had such a ladder living on my rack. But, when I got sick of the hum and took the ladder off the hum stayed behind. Hmm, maybe a junk yard spindle.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that you mention it, the last time I packed my bearings it seemed like the left front needed packed more than the right. Could be a sign of excess heat.
Rethinking the junk yard spindle, too much work to be foolin' w/anything but new parts. I've gotta make a decision on the spindle before winter. Might try to squeek by one more year w/$20 pads and pack my bearings, but rotors and bearings are gettin' close. That's when I'll do the spindle.
Till then, I'll see if a few alignment tweaks will extend my rotations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts