Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the GNTX-177 mirror purchased on ebay with the amber color temp/compass. Install took roughly 4 hours but I could do a second mirror in half that time now that I know how to take the truck apart. Great mod so far. I'm sorry I didn't take a single picture while the truck was apart. Install was very straightforward using posts from here and NewX. The amber really matches the dash well.

Cost=$108.95

$79.00 mirror
$9.95 shipping
$20.00 misc wire, tape, butt connectors, wire loom
-------
$108.95

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Yeah the seller of the mirror can mod them to whatever color you want. The amber matches the dash perfect.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Espo,
I just ordered a similar mirror, the GNTX-261 in amber. It also has the dual display that shows the temp and compass at the same time. Could you maybe point me to a write-up that details the installation, what type of wire and connectors to use, etc?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used this one partially:

Auto-Dimming Mirror for Frontier

and I just stumbled across this one which details taking the interior panels apart..wish I found this yesterday:

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/...g-mirror-install-lots-pics-56k-warning-28446/

I used 18g wire but it appears the wiring on the mirror harness and the temp gauge pigtail are 20g. I just used standard crimping butt connectors and electrical tape. Wire loom in the engine bay and ziptied everything real good.

It is a pretty straight forward install. On mine the harness had 5 wires. 12v switched, ground, backup lamp feed (optional, turns off autodim when in reverse) and 2 wires for the temp sensor. I did not install the backup wire however I read another persons install where he wired it to a switch to manually disable the mirror.

Let me know if you have any questions, plenty of people on here and NewX have done this mod so there are many write ups on it. Everyone does it a little different it seems though.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the links Espo, greatly appreciated. Very excited to get this done. Awesome price too, when compared to new. BTW, did you buy from copper_z71 on eBay? That's where I got mine and he has been fantastic to deal with so far.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah same guy. He responded very quick to my questions. Good guy in my book.

Oh yeah...took me awhile to figure out how to get the overhead console off. Turns out you just have to yank on it. There are 4 tabs, one on each corner. I felt like I was going to break it but it popped out and surprised me.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Nice job on this DIY. One of the reasons I added the utility package to my 2011 SV is because of the outside temperature display. I use it all the time... but it's especially useful during winter to see if it's below freezing outside (in case I need to watch out for black ice). I don't know why Nissan didn't use the amber color though... mine is green

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How accurate do you feel that your temp gauge is? Mine seems to read between 5 and 10 degrees too high however this morning it seemed correct. I emailed the seller and he says that is about right, the probes are not that accurate. Plus it reads hotter when you aren't moving.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have this same Gentex unit but I had the dealer install it for $60. My temp seems to be off about 2 degrees at all times on the high side. Everything else works great though.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Good job! Did you not get the wire cover with the kit? In that one pic it sort of looks like it's there but what's that other wire hanging down?

Regardless, good work. My temp gauge is really about spot on when I'm moving down there road. When stopped, don't even look at it since it won't read correctly without air running past it. I've got my temp sensor mounted higher than you though.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No I didn't get a wire cover with it. I snagged one out of a caddy at the junk yard though. The pigtail I was sent was only 6" long so I barely got it tucked up under the headliner.

·
Registered
643 Posts
does he sell the model with temp compass and homelink? like the one on the LE? if yes what is the model number?

·
Registered
48 Posts
What would be involved in installing the mirror from an LE? I really would like to have home link as well as the rest.

·
Registered
295 Posts
thought about getting something similiar, but I'm too cheap right now.... Great looking mirror though!! Good Job on the install.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The mirror is in and it is perfect... you are right though, there is BARELY enough pigtail to get up under the headliner. It did make it, though, and the wire cover made for a completely clean install. After calibration, the compass is spot on and the temp sensor seems to be reading correctly as well. Good stuff!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts