Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed the Gentex 50-GENK2A Auto Dimming Mirror yesterday. This model only auto dims, nothing else.

I got it from MGT Motorsports. They include the wire cover and a mirror mounting kit for chrysler products (which we don't need of course).NOTE: If you have a blendmount for the scangauge let MGT Motorsports know and they will include the proper parts to switch your blendmount to the Gentex mirror.

Here's a shot of all the stuff minus the wire cover and new blendmount hardware because I couldn't find them when taking the pic:

Here's a shot of the wire cover:

First step is to read through the instructions that come with the mirror. Next is to start taking the trim off.

Here are two shots removing the scuff plate trim.

Next I removed the weather stripping which you just pull off.

Kick panel comes next. Unscrew the plastic nut in the pic then pull off toward the inside of the truck.

Next is the grab handle. Pop the covers open and remove the phillips screw under each one (the screws are captive so they will stay with the handle) . Then pull gently and the handle will come off.

Lower trim and A-Pillar trim come next.

This mirror only required a switched hot wire, so that’s what I found next. The one I used is the red wire in the lower connector in the kick panel.

Here is a shot checking voltage with a digital volt/multi meter.

I also looked for a ground in the kick panel but the bolts are more of a pain to reach and it’s a tighter place to work in, so I used the bolt above the air duct shown in the pic below.

Next I took the stock mirror off. This was kind of a pain for me because I couldn’t find a long enough skinny screwdriver to pop the stock mirror off. I tried my leatherman and gerber multi tools, but their screwdrivers were too short. I finally found one that would work and it came off relatively easy. To remove the mirror all you do is stick the screwdriver in the slot on the bottom of the mirror mount and pull up gently. Make sure you have the screwdriver pushed in far enough, and the mirror should release relatively easily.

My next task was swapping my blendmount for the scangauge. I had to change to the furthest hole (I used the middle one with the stock mirror). I also had to use a longer standoff (I think it’s the ¾” one) with two washers. I was running out of light so I was rushing, but eventually I want to go back and fine tune it further.

Here is the blendmount on the mirror, and the mirror mounted. To tighten the mirror to the factory mirror mount you need a Torx 20 driver (#T20). NOTE: I couldn’t use the supplied wire cover because it interfered with the scangauge/ blendmount. With fine tuning of the blendmount it might work, but with the way I had mine it didn’t.

Next I unhooked the negative battery cable so that I could wire up the mirror. The nut on the clamp is 10mm. I then plugged the wiring harness into the mirror and ran the wire in the headliner and down to the kick panel. I unhooked the connector that had the wire I was going to tap and used the included blue t-tap(for 14-18 Gauage wire) and tapped the red wire.

I put the negative cable back on the battery and tested the mirror as the Gentex directions explained. After that I neatened all the cable and put the trim back on in the reverse order that I took it off.

Finished with the scangauge.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Great pics and instructions. Was thinking of doing this mod too. This really helps!

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
thread jack but I have 2 questions , WTF is a clutch start button ? I have a blank on my LE and also on your gauge cluster whats up with the other LED screen in the tach section ?

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
thread jack but I have 2 questions , WTF is a clutch start button ? I have a blank on my LE and also on your gauge cluster whats up with the other LED screen in the tach section ?
Only available on 6M NISMOs, it lets us crank the engine without disengaging the clutch. that way we can start up hills in 4low.

That second LCD is the 4x4 indicator.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Jsut finsihed wiring mine up last night. The 05's have slightly different wires.

For example, per your write up/pictures, and the Reverand Biker's, the grounding bolt is not there on my truck. There is a constant 12 volt near the grounding bolt, but that wire isn't there either. I used the PITA bolt near the 12 volt ingintion for ground. I used the fat greyish/green wire for my constant 12. I should have used a different tap connection, since the one provided was for a much smaller gauge wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts