Which tire should I get?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2017 SV 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm getting close to needing new tires on my truck and am stuck firmly on the fence between the General Grabber ATX and the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. I live in Colorado where I mostly drive on the highway, but get off pavement for work and play fairly often. My biggest priority is snow performance since where I live receives snow most months of the year. I am a little wary about the lower speed range for the Duratracs and the softer rubber's resilience to hot temperatures (I travel to Texas and New Mexico sometimes in the summer), but I like their slightly deeper tread depth and agressive pattern. I'd be glad to get your feedback on these tires, especially from anyone who may have had both at some point.

Also, I am trying to figure out if I should go with load range C or load range E. My current set of Wrangler Trailrunner A/Ts (which I don't really recommend btw) are range C and I haven't had an issue with their off-road and load hauling durability. I don't want to go up to an E rated tire if there isn't a good reason to and it's just going to ruin my ride and fuel economy. I do haul a lot, and often that hauling is on shitty gravel roads and backcountry Forest Service tracks. Let me know what your thoughts are...

·
Registered
Great truck
1,229 Posts
I have never had the general tires but I had the duratracs. I loved them. They were on a Cherokee with a 6" lift and were awesome on road and off for me

·
Super Moderator
11,609 Posts
I’m not a fan of either brand, my last set of All Terrains are BFGoodrich KO2’s on my Wrangler and they are excellent.
Good Years came new with the Wrangler, took them off as they suck. My Titan came new with generals and got replaced with Michelin’s. I also liked the Hankook ATM’s which lasted a long time.

Clint

Reactions: im1kissfan

·
Registered
55 Posts
I’ll second the KO2s. I have a set on my ‘12 Frontier. 70,000+ miles and still handle like new. Still have great tread. Excellent tires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I'm going to be installing Grabbers in 235/85R16 size when my current Michelins are gone. With the lock-down, they may not be worn-out til Winter or early next year. The Grabbers have 9.0 or higher ratings average in all categories on TireRack. Been using TireRack since the 80s.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
The duratracs are top notch. But they still do not perform as well as a dedicated snow tire. Back in the day when Colorado stayed below freezing in the winter and they had that cold, dry, squeaky, grippy snow it didn't matter as much. But now the wet, melt/freeze snotty slick stuff is getting more prevalent it does. Very few people around here stud their duratracs. Only the roads department vehicles do. Does make a difference on the ice. Good tire but pretty pricey.

The Generals I have always considered a BFG AT copy cat. Still a good grippy tire. Doesn't seem to last as long as a set of BFGs.

As for ratings. Only go with the E is you absoultly need to carry that kind of load for a proplonged haul. Is there a P metric version? A P-metric can carry more load than a LT-C.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have Grabber ATX load E currently and had grabber 2's before in load E. They are an extremely tough tire, had many a sidewall against the pennsylvania shale with no cuts. My Grabber 2's lasted for 65,000 miles. They are the same tread as the KO 2's and are cheaper anywhere you look. I will buy Grabbers for the life of this truck (I'm at 125K now so maybe another set after this).

I have always been interested in the duratracks but they are expensive.

I’m not a fan of either brand, my last set of All Terrains are BFGoodrich KO2’s on my Wrangler and they are excellent.
Good Years came new with the Wrangler, took them off as they suck. My Titan came new with generals and got replaced with Michelin’s. I also liked the Hankook ATM’s which lasted a long time.

Clint

Why are you not a fan? Experiences?

·
Premium Member
7,379 Posts
Likely some kind of a rumor, but I've come across how General tires in general don't seem to handle a 'hot' climate as well as (some) other tires. Any experiences out there?

·
Registered
Great truck
1,229 Posts
lots of guys here in south texas have them on their trucks so that must not be true. its pretty dang hot here

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I'm pretty sure P-Metric is Passenger and has a lower rating than C, not higher. E is higher than both, being a 10-ply equivalent.
You'd be surprised. Look up the load index of a tire that offers both a P and an LTC in the same model and size. THe P will almost always have the higher load index. THis was true of the Mastercraft courser MSR that I bought a few years ago. I was trying to decided between a P and LTC. If an LTD was offered I would have bought that.

Look at these kumhos crugens. Not a tire I would buy, but jsut the first on TR that has both.
THe P has a load index of 114=2640LBS
THE LTC is 112=2484.
Not too much difference but a difference.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Here's an interesting article to peruse, regarding that very subject..
THanks for the read.

Wonder who issues the 10% down restrictions? Maybe listed in the vehicle's specs not the tires as the load rating is the number that is "stamped on the sidewall".

I feel that despite the slightly lower rating, a LTC is still a stronger tire based on build/ply. Isn't it 10ply=E. 8=d. 6=c. Never have a read the ply count of a P.

Some of those tirerack articles however have me wanting to throw my computer (would be magazine, but hardly actually read anything on paper anymore) out the window. THis line in particular:
"...as well as often prevents replacing sets of Euro- or P-metric tires with dimensionally equivalent LT-metric tires..."

So you better not...

·
Registered
563 Posts
I went with Toyo Open Country A/Ts. I really like them a lot. The stock Hankook A/Ts only lasted me 30k miles which i thought was a joke LOL

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
THanks for the read.

Wonder who issues the 10% down restrictions? Maybe listed in the vehicle's specs not the tires as the load rating is the number that is "stamped on the sidewall".

I feel that despite the slightly lower rating, a LTC is still a stronger tire based on build/ply. Isn't it 10ply=E. 8=d. 6=c. Never have a read the ply count of a P.

Some of those tirerack articles however have me wanting to throw my computer (would be magazine, but hardly actually read anything on paper anymore) out the window. THis line in particular:
"...as well as often prevents replacing sets of Euro- or P-metric tires with dimensionally equivalent LT-metric tires..."

So you better not...
Yes, I LOL'd over the P-Metric replacement statement as well. Your listing is correct, E is 10-ply equivalent, D is 8, C is 6, B = P which is 4. This ply equivalent stuff dates back to when tires had cotton cord for a carcass, and no tires now actually have 10 plies in them if they're smaller than military or earth-mover equipment grade stuff.
Or so I recall from my days at Goodyear, in another life ( LOL, 1990 to 1992 )

·
Registered
583 Posts
I put 33” Grabber ATX on my truck a few months ago. They’re by far the top rated tire in the class on TireRack (the Bible I go by). I love them so far.

Reactions: Shraggy

·
Registered
2017 SV 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I'm starting to lean towards the Generals. The Duratracs look great in the snow when they're fresh, but looking at tread ware update videos on YouTube it looks like past a certain point the siping goes from excellent to ****, whereas the Generals maintain better siping for longer. I also like the fact that the Generals have a higher speed rating which means they're not going to melt off as quickly doing long highway runs in the desert during the hotter months. Mostly, though, I'm making my decision based on snow performance; I don't have the money to run two sets of tires seasonally and as I said in my original post, the snow here falls consistently for half the year, so good grip is absolutely essential.

·
Registered
Great truck
1,229 Posts
The duratracs wear fast on heavy vehicles, my full size truck friends say.

We get snow once or twice every hundred years so I cannot help there.

I say go with the ones better in the snow, if that's your main concern.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts