Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my truck sits for a while in the cold second gear shifts very hard. You can really feel it you’re going along, bam it pauses for a minute and shifts with a clang. Has any one else had this problem?

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
sounds like cold trans fluid. i gather it goes away once the truck is warmed up? if so, i say normal. almost every auto transed car i have had did this till it got the fluid warm. if your that worried about it though it could be time to change the trans fluid.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
agreed, no hard shift into 2nd here, my gripe is that the trans seems to hold the gear too long before it throws the shift. Its done it since I last had the fluid changed - So i think whatever fluid my dealership used is crappy... going to do a fluid changeout on mine in a week or two with the amsoil...

·
Registered
832 Posts
I havent noticed such a problem with mine, I am super easy on it though in the cold mornings. It is very true that it holds the RPM up high before the shifts in a morning startup, I just go as light on the throttle as I can up until I absolutely have to speed up on the highway.. I know that cold fluids and such temperatures can really cause premature wear if driven hard without a good easy "warm-up" drive.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it goes away after it warms up I just wanted to know if others had the same problem. I have 23000 miles on my truck and have not done any fuild swaps. Should I switch over to royol purple or stay with nissan brand when I change it?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If your looking to get away from the nissan brand fluid, i'd go straight to the Amsoil. Have read many good things about it here on the board.

I did the first transfluid swap @ 30k. I'm hitting 70k now and will be doing it again very shortly. I do have a lot of side road and hilly type driving, so the convertor often unlocked and the trans is shifting a lot due to the stop and goes. With the Amsoil in it I may let it go further.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.