Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if Nissan ever offered the Gen 2 King Cab in a 4 cyl 4x4 version? I don't do any towing and would like a little better gas mileage. Would consider manual trans 4cyl 4x4 downsize from my current CC SE 4x4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
No Gen 2s, but there were some Gen 1 4x4 4-cyl variants.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Having had the 2 WD version of the 4 cyl 5 speed and a 6 cyl 6 speed. The mileage difference is at most 2 MPG and even empty, driving the 4 CYL in any hills is a royal pain. Down into 3rd gear a lot and really gutless. It works, but just. Adding the extra to the drive train would likely drag the mileage down more and I would not expect it to have the torque to get over much. The first gen being smaller is fine with the 4 CYL, but I really do not think it has the power needed for the weight of the 2nd gen without doing performance mods.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Having had the 2 WD version of the 4 cyl 5 speed and a 6 cyl 6 speed. The mileage difference is at most 2 MPG and even empty, driving the 4 CYL in any hills is a royal pain. Down into 3rd gear a lot and really gutless. It works, but just. Adding the extra to the drive train would likely drag the mileage down more and I would not expect it to have the torque to get over much. The first gen being smaller is fine with the 4 CYL, but I really do not think it has the power needed for the weight of the 2nd gen without doing performance mods.

Thanks for the input. Exactly the kind of opinion I was looking for.

No Gen 2s, but there were some Gen 1 4x4 4-cyl variants.

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
6,101 Posts
My 4x2 experiences:

Gen 1: 4 cyl 5-sp = 21-22 mpg // max 26 mpg Adequate/borderline wimpy power.

Gen 2: V6 6-sp = 17-18 mpg // max 21.7 mpg Power/torque galore. Easily worth the extra cost in fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I have a gen 1 2X KC (2000) 4 banger automatic
It was so gutless I had to floor it just to get up to highway speeds and not get run over

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a gen 1 2X KC (2000) 4 banger automatic
It was so gutless I had to floor it just to get up to highway speeds and not get run over

My 4x2 experiences:

Gen 1: 4 cyl 5-sp = 21-22 mpg // max 26 mpg Adequate/borderline wimpy power.

Gen 2: V6 6-sp = 17-18 mpg // max 21.7 mpg Power/torque galore. Easily worth the extra cost in fuel.

Thanks for the input guys! Looks like there is a major gap in performance and small gap in mpg...scratch another bad idea.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I briefly toyed with the idea of the 4x4 4 cylinder Tacoma 2nd gen a while back.

But most of the comments and reviews about it matches what others described above. I use the Frontier to commute and like the passing power that the V6 provides and how it cruises comfortably at higher speeds.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was wondering if Nissan ever offered the Gen 2 King Cab in a 4 cyl 4x4 version? I don't do any towing and would like a little better gas mileage. Would consider manual trans 4cyl 4x4 downsize from my current CC SE 4x4.

Do not expect a better gas mileage at all. More energy output means lower mpg so if you are not going to use the 4x4 that often, I would not go with it. ::wink::

I hope this advice helps you ::laugh::

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I am pleasantly surprised in my 4.0 auto, it has good get-up-and-go

I am used to mostly larger V8 engines
but this V6 is pretty pleasing

1 - 11 of 11 Posts