Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure it's been mentioned here before but the stock gearing in the second generation is garbage. I don't understand how it could take such a step back from my first gen xterra. I will definitely be doing my gears asap.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Agree.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I have the gears sitting here(only 4:11, only ones available with the 180).Will install soon.
I knew it needed gears the day I picked it up. On the test drive, I tried to take off in second gear, like my 3 previous trucks.It died.First truck without a choice of gearing.
My Dodge has 4:33 I ordered as an option.
Even with the new gears, I will continue to run 265/75/16.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the gears sitting here(only 4:11, only ones available with the 180).Will install soon.
I knew it needed gears the day I picked it up. On the test drive, I tried to take off in second gear, like my 3 previous trucks.It died.First truck without a choice of gearing.
My Dodge has 4:33 I ordered as an option.
Even with the new gears, I will continue to run 265/75/16.
Mine does second gear starts no problem. I can only imagine how terrible the non pro4x models are as far as gearing goes. Never owned a truck that you can't even drive over a rock without stalling. even with the rear locker it's far less capable then my stock xterra. I don't need it to be a rock crawler. Just able to get me up some rocks here and there without having to smash it. Kinda sad. But it does have more potential.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Probably because of the torque converter in automatics. My truck is a manual.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Guess I was just use to my diesels.

·
Registered
592 Posts
4.10 with 33's are in the near future and will work up from there.
4.56 gears and stock 31.7" tires + manual trans are AWESOME! If you are a manual and are going to spend the $$ to regear, get the 4.56. Then you have way more tire size options.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4.10 with 33's are in the near future and will work up from there.
4.56 gears and stock 31.7" tires + manual trans are AWESOME! If you are a manual and are going to spend the $$ to regear, get the 4.56. Then you have way more tire size options.
That's what my dad was telling me to rub if I was going to do gears. You run this set up? How is highway driving? Gas mileage?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Yes, I would prefer 4:56 but I am running a r180 differential. Lowest I can go is 4:11.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Highway mileage DOES suffer a little, however the performance and driveability improvement are worth it.
Stock gears = 18-19 mpg at 70mph
4.56 = 16-17 mpg at 70mpg

If I keep it at 65, maybe 18. 60mph about 19mph. In town is less noticeable, I can get 14 mpg fairly easy - 12.5 of I let her wind up to 3000rpm before shifts. (FUN!)
The real difference on the highway is that at any speed from 60+ mph, there is virtually no need to downshift to pass.

Here is a link to a neat gear ratio calculator I used this to figure out if I wanted to go all the way to 4.56. For instance, Stock 70mph = 2110 rpm 4.56 70 mph = 2606 rpm

Gear Ratio Calculator

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Agreed. I have 4.10's with 35's. Mine's a stick shift. It's not bad, have to downshift on hills sometimes when I would prefer not to. 4.56's would be better. My rig is heavy as hell though.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do they still not make 4.10 gears for the r180 in 6 speed? Everything I see says no but they are all old posts.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
It's been awhile since I had to look into this, but what did the 3.54's come in? Tow package automatics came with the 3.36 gears and everything else I think got the 3.13's. I believe 2005-2007ish stick shifts came with the 3.54 before Nissan went to the 3.69 gearing in 2008.

If you wanted to swap 4.10's into a stick and keep the R180 you could find a carrier from 2005 or 2006, just the carrier, not the whole case. The carrier will fit into all R180 cases (I'm 90% sure of that.)

Search Results

^^ Hopefully that link works. Those should be all 3.54 carriers. Looks like Terryville Auto Parts (that's about 40 mins from me) has a couple for $150.

Or, you could go for broke (or go broke) and buy the R180 ARB (which is a 3.54 and down carrier) and the gear package and do it all in one shot. That's the route I'd probably go.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's been awhile since I had to look into this, but what did the 3.54's come in? Tow package automatics came with the 3.36 gears and everything else I think got the 3.13's. I believe 2005-2007ish stick shifts came with the 3.54 before Nissan went to the 3.69 gearing in 2008.

If you wanted to swap 4.10's into a stick and keep the R180 you could find a carrier from 2005 or 2006, just the carrier, not the whole case. The carrier will fit into all R180 cases (I'm 90% sure of that.)

Search Results

^^ Hopefully that link works. Those should be all 3.54 carriers. Looks like Terryville Auto Parts (that's about 40 mins from me) has a couple for $150.

Or, you could go for broke (or go broke) and buy the R180 ARB (which is a 3.54 and down carrier) and the gear package and do it all in one shot. That's the route I'd probably go.
Thanks that's a lot of good info and I will look into it all when I get off work today.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts