Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Canada...just one more Aussie joining this group...I'll just grab another beer and add some details to my profile...stay tuned.
Paul.::smile::

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
Hello, I assume you are from Canada

hello and welcome

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ah yes the country that brought us Mad Max ;-) Welcome to this place.
Anxious to see what you have, I am a great admirer of Aussie built 4x4s.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Contra....nup, I'm not from Canada...too cold there for me...'Aussie' is slang for AUSTRALIA, you may have heard of us...a huge but small country almost fallen off the bottom of the globe....if you happen to have a world map nearby take a look, bottom right hand corner....
Paul.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
B17P4XCrew....thanks for your welcome. Sadly the Australian Auto Industry has died a slow death...as from the end of this year there will be NO Australian made cars any longer...not even assembled here...everything we drive will be imported...I hope you don't spread this around but my vehicle, a 2013 Nissan Navara Crew Cab Ute* was thrown together hurriedly in...god I hate to say this...Thailand!!

*Down here we call them utes, short for utility, you possibly call them pick-ups.

I'll buy some film and take some photos...once they are processed I'll post some photos.
(Just kidding, we actually do have digital cameras down here... :))

Paul

·
Registered
23 Posts
Copy that Paul.
We use the term Ute here too just not as prevalent as the term SUV and not generally applied to trucks. More so the enclosed cab station-wagon type rigs. The Jeep liberty was known as a "Cute Ute" when it first came out.
But yeah, we generally refer to our Frontiers as mid sized trucks or pick ups. Mine gets referred to as a "toy truck" by my full sized truck owning workmates. Which is why it now carries Hot Wheels and Matchbox decals lol.

·
Premium Member
6,111 Posts
That judge is Herman Munster, eh?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all....in Australia the term SUV is now used very loosely...originally it related to only 4x4 station wagon type vehicles, ie Jeep Cherokee....the car sales folk soon learned that most people brought SUV's to use to take the kids to school and rarely if ever engaged four wheel drive...an SUV here now might not even have 4wd and, god forbid might even have front wheel drive!...we have another vehicle class here too, Soft Roaders, which will most likely have full time 4wd, no transfer case and relatively low ground clearance...a better example might be a Subaru Forester.
The most popular vehicle sold in Australia in 2015 was the Toyota HiLux crew cab utility...the crew or double cab style of vehicle is now our biggest seller of all vehicle types.
The term utility (ute) only ever refers an open bed truck like configuration but it might be a well side or tray top, the most common accessory for these vehicles is a fibre-glass canopy.

Incidentally... the ute or pick-up truck is said an Australian invention. This was the result of a 1932 letter to the Ford Motor Company from the unnamed wife of a farmer in Victoria, Australia asking for “a vehicle to go to church in on a Sunday and which can carry our pigs to market on Mondays”. In response, Ford designer Lew Bandt developed the ute and the model called a "coupe utility" at the time was released in 1934.

·
Premium Member
5,766 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Welcome Aussie's are cool they made the Leader Dynamics T2 MK5 an the pistol dubbed the Tasmanian Devil made by Australian Arms and really dig their road trains

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome! Relatively new here also and very happy to have found CF. I have found answers to many questions and have enjoyed just going through the many interesting threads. We would love to visit your country but unfortunately it is not in driving distance. Why did you have to put it so far away? Of course once you get there it seems that everything wants to kill/eat you. "Oh! Look at the pretty butterfly!" "No! Don't go near it! If it touches you you'll be dead in 30 seconds!" Lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts