Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
gas tank relocation

so.. anyone relocated the gas tank into the bed either via fuel cell or stock tank?

i dropped the gas tank earlier in the week to make sure the pump wasnt loose inside , thought that may have been an issue with hill climbs
I liked having all the room under there and one less thing to hit on the rocks so i figured ill just throw the gas tank in the bed , its not like there was much of a bed anyway lol
Natalie and I just got done bedlining the bed , which was a huge mess , and im hoping to get some new ext fuel lines and breathers tomorrow

should have the truck back up and running this weekend hopefully code free

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
step one complete
bed liner applied
gas tank relocated to the bed , and tested
no leaks or codes!!! :)

left to do : finish the cover for the gas tank , figure out the fuel filler mounting position , install the tool box and figure out how im gonna mount the spare
i ran out of light to get anymore pictures of how i secured the gas tank and mock up of the gas tank cover/ high lift mount
gas tank removed

mock up

tire wont be able to stand , so it will probably lay flat

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well if you want it to just sit there , sure why not haha

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
were you banging it on stuff, or were you just bored? haha

i thought about relocating and using a fuel cell for a larger capacity, but cali will not allow a fuel cell to pass smog.

it has a couple of light scratches on it, but when kenny did my rear suspension, we added a crossmember and raised the tank about 1", which brought it up above the frame (it sits about level with the frame from the factory, unlike a toyota's gas tank that hangs down 4").
it has never been a problem, so i opted not to mess with it at all. it sits flush with the frame, and the leaf mount that droops down helps protect it, as well as the tire.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
i had dropped the tank to make sure the pump didnt get knocked loose from a hit and figured it would be safer in the bed

plus im checking to see of this will change anything with the hill climb issues

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
aah, i think i saw talk of that theory on pirate.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when i took the sending unit off the top , you could see the pump sitting in a plastic box that was seperated from the rest of gas tank inside except the bottom which had a filter on it

the pump already sits at about a 20 angle so at steep hill clmib the pump would pretty much be vertical , i guess we will see how this works out

most of the other pumps and sending units on older vehicles are all in one which is why probably why they dont have the issue we do

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
when i took the sending unit off the top , you could see the pump sitting in a plastic box that was seperated from the rest of gas tank inside except the bottom which had a filter on it

the pump already sits at about a 20 angle so at steep hill clmib the pump would pretty much be vertical , i guess we will see how this works out

most of the other pumps and sending units on older vehicles are all in one which is why probably why they dont have the issue we do
cool man. we shall see what happens.

·
Registered
515 Posts
PENSKI...what bed liner did you use?

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
I have to ask, is it safe to have an OEM tank in the bed like that?
why wouldn't it be as long as its secured? its probably actually less likely to get damaged in a car accident, if thats what you are thinking.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
PENSKI...what bed liner did you use?
i used rustoleum bedliner , didnt even know they had it , went to get herculiner and it was on sale but i dont like the way it came out i should have paid the extra $20 and got herculiner
herculiner is what i used on the bedsides for the 2nd gen

dubie the pics you see the tank isnt mounted yet , ive got 4 pieces of 1/2" all thread securing it down now , along with a bar the goes along the top that pushes the tank against the bed

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Ahhh, that sounds better. I was a little concerned that the box was the only thing holding it in place and I knew that wasn't right, lol.

·
Premium Member
6,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
step 2 done , wish i could have gotten a wider strip of the aluminum but its all they had in that length without having to buy an entire sheet
step 3 will be installing the tool box(had to switch handles from one side to the other so i can lock it ) and move the tire holder back and drill new holes

tank secured , cross bar added and cover is on

·
Registered
146 Posts
one day when my truck grows up it will be that awesome! keep up the good work.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts