Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Being a crusty old fart, my attitude is that if I find myself miles from a fueling station on an empty tank, I deserve what I get.

We really need to stop expecting manufacturers, society and government to save us from our own stupidity.
That's how we got the estimate we did our own calculations and it seems me and @RyanD1966 are in the same Ballpark
All this means is both of us came to the same conclusion gas wise

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have gotten use to the reserve gas is 5-6 gallons. When the gauge shows 1/4 down, my experience is about 4 gallons has been used. 1/2 tank is about 9 gallons used.

On road trips after 3-4 hours of driving I am ready to get out and walk around. So the gas tank size, mpg, and how the gauge indicates is no big deal.

·
Registered
732 Posts
i make it a common practice to fill up at 1/4 of a tank left. that way i never have to worry about running out of gas...plus it doesn't cost as much to fill it up each time. lol

i can easily get 350miles per tank according to the computer though.
Shoot when you get passed 16 gallons of use it's like a $80 dollar purchase man it's like you think to yourself damn why didn't I fill up sooner
In the end it's all relative

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
i make it a common practice to fill up at 1/4 of a tank left. that way i never have to worry about running out of gas...plus it doesn't cost as much to fill it up each time. lol

i can easily get 350miles per tank according to the computer though.
Idk what I’m doing wrong. Filled up yesterday, at 276 miles. Everything adds up, I was average 17mpg that tank, had about 80 miles left based on the gas it took and gas that was already in the tank. Which would have me hitting 350 miles on a tank, but that’s running it out of gas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My fuel gauge is off as well! When I'm around half a tank I should be needing almost 40 litres to top up but It's always around 32 - 35 litres. I also always keep filling it till I can't no more lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
When it says 36 miles to empty, I don't believe that means 36 miles to shutdown.
It means 36 miles to the gauge reading E, and everyone knows you can go past E.
The mystery is how far below E, and there is only one way to find out.
:LOL: True that!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Idk what I’m doing wrong. Filled up yesterday, at 276 miles. Everything adds up, I was average 17mpg that tank, had about 80 miles left based on the gas it took and gas that was already in the tank. Which would have me hitting 350 miles on a tank, but that’s running it out of gas.
it's not an exact measurement. it won't be perfect. it's just a guideline to use....basically a 2nd fuel guage. you have the analog guage and the digital guage dte. neither one is perfect. they just get you close.

if you want exact set your trip meter or use the odometer and count the miles. the dte measurement and trip or odometer mileage will not change at the same rate.

i had an old 1988 toyota truck and the fuel guage stopped working. i would just fill it up with gas every 250miles using the odometer. that way i knew i would never run out of gas. it could probably go much further than that but there's no need to push the limits. just fill up more often and avoid being stranded on the side of the road.

...but if you really want to know for sure. fill the truck up with gas, fill up a can of gas to use when you run out of gas, set the trip meter or write down odometer number and drive until you run out of gas. that's how many miles you get per tank on average.

it's really not good to run a vehicle out of gas though. it should be avoided.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts