Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock 2018 pro4x gets average 16.5-17mpg on my commute to and from work. I have 256 miles on this tank with 36 miles to empty, so it says. I just filled up and only took 15.9 gallons. I’m having a hard time believing there’s another 75-80 miles worth of gas in there.
Is the computer that far off?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Another factor did the gas pump shut off before being completely filled.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I always give it a few more pumps to make sure.
I learned my lesson on these newer type vehicles.. not to pump any more fuel after the pump kicks it off. This is of course after you know it’s probably reached it’s potential. I over filled my Silverado and now days doing so will create problems with trying to pump fuel into your tank and may kick on your CEL. Didn’t have to worry about this back in the day!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Indeed, it is said you should not "top off" the fill up. The raw gas has a chance to dribble into the charcoal canister ruining it. It is a old habit that is hard to break. As I still do give it one more shot, just in case.

My mileage just tanked with the sudden drop of temperatures . We went from mid to upper 50's to teens and low 20's daytime, overnight, and it has stayed that way for a week. As I watch the real time mpg gauge what was around 7/9mpg accelerating is now 4/6, and my average dropped to 18.4 from 19.6 Drives like a slug in the AM. Baby its cold outside...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Indeed, it is said you should not "top off" the fill up. The raw gas has a chance to dribble into the charcoal canister ruining it. It is a old habit that is hard to break. As I still do give it one more shot, just in case.

My mileage just tanked with the sudden drop of temperatures . We went from mid to upper 50's to teens and low 20's daytime overnight and it has stayed that way for a week. As I watch the real time mpg gauge what was around 7/9mpg accelerating is now 4/6, and my average dropped to 18.4 from 19.6 Drives like a slug in the AM. Baby its cold outside...
Sounds like you’re in Indiana.. lol
I haven’t even had a chance to get my truck out of the garage in a week or so. I have not had it in the cold yet since I purchased it little over a month ago. It does seem better on mpg than my other frontier.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

My mileage just tanked with the sudden drop of temperatures . We went from mid to upper 50's to teens and low 20's daytime overnight and it has stayed that way for a week. As I watch the real time mpg gauge what was around 7/9mpg accelerating is now 4/6, and my average dropped to 18.4 from 19.6 Drives like a slug in the AM. Baby its cold outside...
Temps have been 40-50 here during the day and 20's at night the last few nights. NC.

I never get 19, unless im on the highway for a while.

·
Registered
415 Posts
As you probably noticed, I have a standard, so I can optimize my speed/gear ratio easily for the conditions with keeping my eye on the gauge. I drive 90% back roads, I claim 40mph if I get pulled over... but truth be told more like 45ish mph which seems to be the sweet spot. That along with some performance enhancements has had a favorable effect on mpg's. The downside (I guess) is that I enjoy putting my foot into it accelerating and feeling the pull ! During the summer I topped 20 a few times.

·
Registered
732 Posts
My stock 2018 pro4x gets average 16.5-17mpg on my commute to and from work. I have 256 miles on this tank with 36 miles to empty, so it says. I just filled up and only took 15.9 gallons. I’m having a hard time believing there’s another 75-80 miles worth of gas in there.
Is the computer that far off?
What you just experienced was Nissan Turning the Gas light on when you have 6 Gallons of gas in the tank it's simple math
The tank is indeed 21.1 Gallons but …..You need to understand why it comes on with six gallons left this Truck is Thirsty and 6 Gallons on a long highway will be eaten up fast

This Truck will actually see 350 miles on a Tank I drove all the way from Vegas to my house 272 Miles non stop Gas light came on kept going when I got home and went to fill my tank I had 5 Gallons left over it's pretty much to keep you aware I guess but I drove almost 300 miles on a Moded Truck so I know a stock one will get damn near 400 miles off a tank

·
Registered
124 Posts

My mileage just tanked with the sudden drop of temperatures . We went from mid to upper 50's to teens and low 20's daytime, overnight, and it has stayed that way for a week. As I watch the real time mpg gauge what was around 7/9mpg accelerating is now 4/6, and my average dropped to 18.4 from 19.6 Drives like a slug in the AM. Baby its cold outside...
I always give mine one more shot after it shuts off. Never more. It usually only takes 1 or 2 tenths. No problems so far.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
There are 5+ gallons remaining in the tank when it indicates flat-out empty, I had mine down to 13 miles indicated range and there were still 6 gallons left out of 21 total. Its a very pessimistic computer but when you are miles from a fueling station, that can be your best friend.

·
Registered
732 Posts
There are 5+ gallons remaining in the tank when it indicates flat-out empty, I had mine down to 13 miles indicated range and there were still 6 gallons left out of 21 total. Its a very pessimistic computer but when you are miles from a fueling station, that can be your best friend.
So it's like that with me as well you are lifted too correct and larger tires ?
Seems to me that it is like that no matter what modified or not the only difference is the computer is too dumb to correct changes when made
I wonder Is there a update to their system they could do to the ecm doubt it but hell everyone else can get updates lol lol lol

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Being a crusty old fart, my attitude is that if I find myself miles from a fueling station on an empty tank, I deserve what I get.

We really need to stop expecting manufacturers, society and government to save us from our own stupidity.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts