Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a picture of a Titan that had gas struts installed to hold the hood up. Much cooler than the prop rod we have. Has anybody tried to fab up something like this for a Fronty??

I don't have any way to fab up something like this for myself, but I would be interested in buying a set if somebody else has/makes one.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Well put Q-Tip. Every week when I check the oil, etc in my truck and my wife's Solara
I think how much nicer it would be if the truck had the same gas struts that the Solara has. It would make it so much nicer for an old man.

OkieScot

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
i'm working on it lol the first set i bought were to long and i have to find some way of bolting them up lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JayP said:
i'm working on it lol the first set i bought were to long and i have to find some way of bolting them up lol
I'm pretty sure you can buy (somewhere) the little balls/studs that the struts connect to. The real problem then is fabbing the bracket(s) to mount them to.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Yeah i'm doing the same thing.We work on all makes and every time the hood is up i'm checking on what type they use.Some have a bracket on 1 end and the ball socket on the other.I'm looking for one that has brackets on both ends so they would bolt up.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I was checking my oil this morning and was looking at the struts on my wife's Solara wishing I had them on the Frontier.

I got to looking at the hinges on the Frontier and they have a hook looking thing on one
piece and a rectangular hole on the other. It makes me wonder if a helper spring could
be rigged up like they used to do on the old cars prior to the gas struts?

I am going to go on the Pathfinder forum to see if they have anything to help them with
their hoods. Wouldn't it be nice if we could get Nissan parts to do this modification?

I'll report my findings.

OkieScot

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I think the hook & hole your talking about is designed to keep the hood from going into the windshield in a front end crash.I think once the hood is closed the hooks enter the hole so there might not be any room for the springs.I believe your talking about using trunk springs for the hood.?

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I thought of using a hood strut off a mid 80's maxima that uses 1 big one on the pass side & it has a prop rod attached to the side of the strut.I don't remember how it is attached to the car,so it might not work.If someone has one take a look & see if this might work on our trucks.Ive never seen a single strut go bad ,its the ones that use 2 that go bad.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Frontier2,

I am sure that you are right now that you mention about the hook and slot. So much
for that idea. I don't know why they quit making those hood springs. Unlike the gas struts they worked for ever and they were not frightfully expensive to produce.

OkieScot

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Those just might work,they have 2 types of brackets.I need to take a closer look at it and try to figure out what i need then order them up.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've been looking around for sometime for these things. I found this site http://www.redlinetuning.com/index.html Although they don't have it for the Frontier, they do have it for the Tacoma. Maybe it would fit our trucks or maybe just maybe it could be modified to fit.

·
Registered
368 Posts
canes5time said:
I've been looking around for sometime for these things. I found this site http://www.redlinetuning.com/index.html Although they don't have it for the Frontier, they do have it for the Tacoma. Maybe it would fit our trucks or maybe just maybe it could be modified to fit.
Contact us if we do not currently sell a QuickLIFT for your vehicle.
Redline Tuning is always looking for new vehicles to create our popular QuickLIFT for. Contact us is you are willing to volunteer your time and vehicle - you will receive the QuickLIFT kit for free and your vehicle will be featured on our website and installation manual. Email us for details. We are located in South East, Michigan.

Any members in michigan wanna go get a free one and have that made availabel for the rest of us?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Those look nice!! Even my old '99 Exploder had gas struts for the hood, they would be nice for my fronty.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Hood weighed in at a whopping 19.5lbs (+ or - 1lb) to raise it. Should be fairly accurate. I must be getting old, it felt heavier than that to me.

Comparing $ the kit from Redline looks like a pretty good deal, if they ever make one for us.

Com'on Michigan Frontiers. :wink:

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
steve396 said:
The Hood weighed in at a whopping 19.5lbs (+ or - 1lb) to raise it. Should be fairly accurate. I must be getting old, it felt heavier than that to me.

Comparing $ the kit from Redline looks like a pretty good deal, if they ever make one for us.

Com'on Michigan Frontiers. :wink:

Yeah your right,it does feel heavier than that.I guess a pair of 20 lb struts should be enough to do the job.Thanks

1 - 20 of 41 Posts