Nissan Frontier Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Not to stir **** up.... but for science I took a drive yesterday on some levelish streets in my neighborhood.... in my crew cab short bed SV 4x4 with the 4.0V6 and the 5 speed auto trans. I found that I have to use absolutely no throttle at all to make the truck shift below 2000 rpms. What I would guess was 1/16th throttle had it shifting at 2000rpm and that was some painfully slow acceleration. I don’t know if that’s going to be good or bad for your fuel economy driving like that but seriously it was a chore...

Anyways, Im hoping someone here has a thought on the following because it’s kept me up all night.

Who uses less fuel? All things being equal like truck, altitude, humidity, temperature, baby mama drama, etc...

Driver A accelerates to 45 mph in 10 seconds than cruises at 45 mph for 1 mile before stopping at the next red light.

Driver B accelerates to 45mph in 30 seconds than cruises at 45 mph for about a quarter mile before stopping at the next red light.

pardon my cruising distances... I’m no mathlete and calculating distance traveled while accelerating is a bit past my pay grade. Let’s assume the total distance traveled by both drivers is the same. If anyone here can make the correction for distance traveled while accelerating that would be cool.
Driver A accelerates for 0.0625 miles then cruises for 1 mile. Driver B accelerates for 0.1875 miles then cruises for 0.875 miles. Driver B would see the worst gas mileage for after the test he would floor the gas pedal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just got a 2016 frontier SV KC 4X4, my gas mileage has been terrible I drove 200 miles back on the highway after I bought it I got about 16 miles per gallon and now I'm around town driving I've gotten about 13 or 14 what's up with that it says it should be between 16 and 21 and I haven't even came close to that. Does anyone have any recommended fuel that I could buy maybe to get a better fuel economy this is kind of a ridiculous so far and I'm super disappointed.

Welcome to our world! Sorry. Didn't mean to be sarcastic.

Reality is, and I'm now driving my 5th Frontier CC since '05 (I lease) that mileage sucks. They actually upped it by a mile or two per gallon back in '13?

My CCs have had a tonneau cover all along. BUT, until I got my '19 in January, I had been driving around 75 to 80 mph and was averaging 15 mph city/highway. Mostly highway.

Now, rather being the passer, I'm the one being past. Once on the highway, I set the cruise control at 57 mph. I've been getting 330 miles per ~19 gallons. I just had my first oil change at 3400 miles and I had synthetic oil put in. I just filled up today and I had gone 360 miles on ~19 gallons. Quite an improvement. Although it may be early to give the synthetic oil a thorough test or credit.

Wait until the winter blend gets introduced. In the past, I've seen a decrease of ~30 to 40 miles per tank full. I'm hoping with the synthetic oil, I'll not see such a decrease.

Fabulous trucks, but the drawback is fuel consumption. I would be very interested to see what owners are getting with the 2020 and the slightly smaller engine.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan frontier SV 4×4
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Thanks for the reply, don't worry about the sarcasm. Lol

·
Registered
2019 Frontier SL, Flowmaster FX, cold air intake, rear axle vent mod, class III hitch and light kit.
14 Posts
I live over 5 miles down a dirt road. Low speed (30 or below) or stop and start driving of any sort in these trucks really impact mpg. As stated they are heavy for their size which is a factor. I have had 2 deer run into the side of mine in the past few weeks though with zero damage so I am grateful for the heavier build. Hope this helps explain a bit. Enjoy your truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got a 2016 frontier SV KC 4X4, my gas mileage has been terrible I drove 200 miles back on the highway after I bought it I got about 16 miles per gallon and now I'm around town driving I've gotten about 13 or 14 what's up with that it says it should be between 16 and 21 and I haven't even came close to that. Does anyone have any recommended fuel that I could buy maybe to get a better fuel economy this is kind of a ridiculous so far and I'm super disappointed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
What no gas mileage! Shocker - You'll also need a small cul de sac to make a u turn. I have the 2WD,V6, Auto - King Cab. Gas mileage in town is what you cited, terrible. I did a long trip and mileage at 75 MPH or so with cruise set was 21-22 MPG, 80MPH - 18 MPG and at 90 (with Montana HP passing all of us like we were sitting still) about 14, but they are great little trucks. Be of good cheer, I recently bought a 32 foot Class C RV and pull my truck on a flatbed trailer @ 65MPH - 6/7 MPG. I love the 1.90 PG stations. At first I thought my stomach would bleed, but I learned to embrace it. and as told to me, It's hard to push a shed down the highway and expect good gas mileage. I could do about $3,000.00 or so in modifications and maybe get 8-9. I'm sure Nissan could make improvements to the bodystyle, engine, exhaust and driveline, but I'm not sure we would ever recover the $$ 10-15K in fuel savings. And, it sounds like the leadership at Nissan are all going to prison soon or they may go bankrupt. I found that Synthetic oil and gear lube, tranny fluid changes and occasional sea foam fuel treatments make a difference in mileage and certainly will in longevity. But, then again am I going to recover those extra dollars. Enjoy your TRUCK.
KPM

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Frontier Crew cab LWB SV Lifted CAI and Alum TB Spacer Pedal Commander
7 Posts
There is no magic formula for getting better gas mileage with these trucks. My truck gets 16 mpg on the highway. It's lifted 4" and I'm running 18" wheels. The best you can do is strip everything out of the truck and feather the gas. Even that may not help. Your only real way to improve gas mileage is by changing the gears. It's not worth it to lose all that power. I purchased a pedal commander and that seems to help a little. Good luck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What does the window sticker say? 15mpg city? You’re literally getting 1-1.5mpg less (likely).. a negligible amount.. best thing you can do is not drive in town, be a little easier on the throttle or trade the truck in..

2wd, 4cyl, auto in these trucks rated only at 17mpg city - manual in that set up wasn’t much better..
I beg to differ on the 2wd, 4cyl, manual. My 2011 has never gotten less than 25 mpg in any type driving. I consistently average 26-28mpg, and have squeezed 29 mpg on a longer drive. I don't have a mpg gauge so I do the calculation the old fashioned way of dividing miles driven by actual gallons consumed.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I beg to differ on the 2wd, 4cyl, manual. My 2011 has never gotten less than 25 mpg in any type driving. I consistently average 26-28mpg, and have squeezed 29 mpg on a longer drive. I don't have a mpg gauge so I do the calculation the old fashioned way of dividing miles driven by actual gallons consumed.
I’m not speaking from experience, only commenting on epa estimates, they’re somewhere in that range IIRC. either way, you’re doing much better than what it’s rated for, I’m guessing it must be based mostly on your driving habits bc even the 4cyl are known to have 💩 gas mileage compared to other 4cyl trucks.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I’m not speaking from experience, only commenting on epa estimates, they’re somewhere in that range IIRC. either way, you’re doing much better than what it’s rated for, I’m guessing it must be based mostly on your driving habits bc even the 4cyl are known to have 💩 gas mileage compared to other 4cyl trucks.
If @lacro has an S trim then weight is also on his side as well. The 2WD 4-banger S trim with manual trans is the lightest configuration. Coupled with the skinnier 235 tires, doesn't surprise me that he can eek out 29mpgs. Each factor on its own isn't significant (like those air dams on Chevy Colorados or 2WD F150s) but added together might net a good couple MPGs.

Hell my Honda commuter is rated for 25/33/28, and I don't see how I could achieve that. Maybe if I drove with the A/C blasting, floored it from red light to red light and shifted at redline. If I wail on it, I get 33mpg combined, hand-calculated. If I shift conservatively and drive like there's a sponge under the gas pedal, I can get 36mpg combined. I have the lightest configuration that's possible; base model manual transmission. It weighs a good 400lbs less than the optioned-out top model.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I wrote something similar in another recent thread, and I'll give the same thoughts here with respect and seriousness.

For a 1.5 mile one-way trip to work, leave the truck at home and walk instead. I'm 51. I weigh 210 pounds. I have plantar fasciitis and a mild bunyon on the same foot. I eat like crap and exercise too little, aside from pushing the lawn mower and riding a bicycle once or twice a month. But, I can walk 3mph without breaking a sweat, and so can you. At 3.5, I'm sweating and breathing deeply. At 4.0mph walking speed, I'm huffing and puffing and sweating hard. 30-60 minutes of this will pay you back many times over. I did this for several months a couple years ago and dropped about 20 pounds.

Put a walking app on your phone, I like Runkeeper, sponsored by a running show maker. You will see how easy 3mph is. Walk with purpose, don't stroll. That is also a 30 minute walk. Make a sandwich for lunch and walk to work a couple-few times per week. Your truck will be healthier, your wallet will be healthier, and you will be healthier.

On a bicycle- 10 minutes, maybe less. You can still bike home for lunch.

Give it a try for one week, see what happens to your truck's fuel consumption. And your waistline.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have the S,4cyl,auto it routinely gets 23 combined,with full tank of gas w/o me in it it is 4000lbs. Their heavy vehicles,therefore they suck alot of gas,not much you can do but slow down.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV CC 4x4 Automatic LB OEM
16 Posts
MPG has not been on my short list of dislikes for my truck. Actually, I have been quite suprised with my gas mileage.
I get a consistent 18mpg with mixed driving and as much as 21mpg on a decent 50+ mile trip. The worst I have gotten was 14.5mpg when driving a lot in town and using 4x4 in the winter.
I have not modified the truck much except for the Peragon tonneau cover I installed a month ago. I think I maybe averaging 0.5mpg more.
I generally do not accelerate aggressively and keep up on checking tire pressure and oil changes. Compared to all of my full size trucks I have had I am thrilled with my MPG.

·
Registered
591 Posts
For a 1.5 mile one-way trip to work, leave the truck at home and walk instead.
On a bicycle- 10 minutes, maybe less. You can still bike home for lunch.

Give it a try for one week, see what happens to your truck's fuel consumption. And your waistline.
I agree. There's a gal that works at the same place as me and lives in the building next door. She drives to work and I ride a bicycle. It's not even that far, maybe a mile. If there's heavy traffic down the street, I get here first since I can ride the bike lane and use Multi-Use Pathways, while she's stuck on the ring roads. Not to mention, I can ride right up to my shop's door, while she has to park and walk a good 1/8 mile from the parking lot.

Reactions: kc-guy
81 - 97 of 97 Posts