Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Nissan frontier SV 4×4
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 2016 frontier SV KC 4X4, my gas mileage has been terrible I drove 200 miles back on the highway after I bought it I got about 16 miles per gallon and now I'm around town driving I've gotten about 13 or 14 what's up with that it says it should be between 16 and 21 and I haven't even came close to that. Does anyone have any recommended fuel that I could buy maybe to get a better fuel economy this is kind of a ridiculous so far and I'm super disappointed.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I just got a 2016 frontier SV KC 4X4, my gas mileage has been terrible I drove 200 miles back on the highway after I bought it I got about 16 miles per gallon and now I'm around town driving I've gotten about 13 or 14 what's up with that it says it should be between 16 and 21 and I haven't even came close to that. Does anyone have any recommended fuel that I could buy maybe to get a better fuel economy this is kind of a ridiculous so far and I'm super disappointed.
So the first question is: Are you measuring the MPG based on what the computer is telling you? Or are you calculating it by filling your tank up completely, starting your trip odometer, and then dividing miles driven by how much gas it takes to fully fuel up the next time you need gas. That is only way it will be accurate.

Now for the bad news, 16 mpg is really typical of these vehicles. The best I have ever gotten is around 18 on the highway, and that was before I had removed the front bumper dam, added a roof rack, and lifted it a little. Amongst other things detrimental to mpg. Now I get about 16 on the highway and around 14-15 in town.

Reactions: lmat and Kelly Mack

·
Registered
526 Posts
Sounds kinda normal to me too. I got 20 mpg once on a straight shot hwy trip at around 75mph. But it's pretty much always 14-15 now on mostly city and a little hwy here and there.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not too far off from average.. you bought a Frontier with technology from 2004/2005.. if you want good mpg buy an economy car or a “modern” truck with decent mpg find an unreliable truck with a 9/10 speed transmission for $40k+ easy..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so it sounds like everyone gets lousy mileage in these trucks. Then why does the sticker say otherwise? That's the whole gripe of my post. If the truck did what the sticker says I would have no problem, but it doesn't. Otherwise Nissan flat out lies about there vehicles gas mileage.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ok, so it sounds like everyone gets lousy mileage in these trucks. Then why does the sticker say otherwise? That's the whole gripe of my post. If the truck did what the sticker says I would have no problem, but it doesn't. Otherwise Nissan flat out lies about there vehicles gas mileage.
What does the window sticker say? 15mpg city? You’re literally getting 1-1.5mpg less (likely).. a negligible amount.. best thing you can do is not drive in town, be a little easier on the throttle or trade the truck in..

2wd, 4cyl, auto in these trucks rated only at 17mpg city - manual in that set up wasn’t much better..

Reactions: lmat

·
Premium Member
5,963 Posts
Filling the tank 'completely' has been known to trigger an emissions issue w/ the overflow/charcoal canister. Fill until the pump handle clicks off...then only add a small amount if you're the type who likes round numbers.

An easy right foot will help the most, especially getting these 4200+ lb beasts moving. It takes considerably more fuel to accelerate to particular speed than to cruise at the same speed. 0-60 in 16 sec will use half the fuel of a 0-60 in 16 sec. F=ma (Force = mass x acceleration)

The low end torque from our VQ40 is very easy to abuse because it seems/feels effortless. Smooth gradual acceleration will pay dividends.

Should I be in the mood to burn some excess gas by making a few jackrabbit starts, I figured out it is nothing to cry over since each MPG lost from my usual/avg results in roughly an extra gallon of fuel at each fill up.

If this miserly issue persists, just QUIT checking your MPGs - and simply put in $10-$20 at a time and avoid filling up altogether. 😬
.02 / YMMV

Reactions: lmat and Kelly Mack

·
Registered
592 Posts
Filling the tank 'completely' has been known to trigger an emissions issue w/ the overflow/charcoal canister. Fill until the pump handle clicks off...then only add a small amount if you're the type who likes round numbers.
I just meant that the tank needs to be full to calculate your miles, not that you need to go past where the gas pump clicks off. Going past that is often bad for just about every car out there and can mess with the evap system.

Reactions: kc-guy

·
Registered
156 Posts
Gas is cheaper than bottled water right now. Drive 90!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have a lead foot, max speed limit in my town is forty. I wonder if the camper shell could make that much of a difference. More drag and weight. Making me think twice about the steel front and rear bumpers I was interested in.

·
Registered
2005 Nissan Frontier NISMO 4x4
9 Posts
How fast were you driving and what was the weather like? Speed and wind makes a huge difference on the highway. I've gotten 13mpg doing 80 into a headwind, and 22 doing 65 when calm/slight tailwind.

As far as in town, how far is your average trip? Short trips (<3 miles or so) destroy mileage due to the engine running rich when warming up to temp. 13-15 would be normal if that was the case.

Just a few things to consider. Hope you enjoy the truck otherwise!

·
Read Only
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X
295 Posts
Just a couple things.

First, are you coming from a car to a truck? Have you ever had truck before? I am not being sarcastic, so please don't take it that way. Its just in my experience, people that come from a car, to a truck for the first time ALWAYS complain about fuel economy.

Second, lets go over the obvious. Your maintenance is up to par, meaning, air filter is clean, spark plugs (not sure of the mileage on your truck) things like that.

Third. Are you buying gas from a reputably known place? Or just the cheapest place you can find? I have found on average 1-2 mpg difference simply switching to Chevron or Shell branded gas. People can argue this all they want, just MY observations.

Forth, The OEM gauge that reflects MPG's is off ALL THE TIME. So make sure your calculated by calculator, how many miles you went divided by the gallons it took to fill. I have found the OEM reading to be off 2-3 MPG's.

Lastly, Tire Pressure. Are you checking your tire pressure regularly to ensure they are at proper inflation?

After doing all this and you STILL have poor fuel economy? Its driving habits.

Hope this helps you..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How fast were you driving and what was the weather like? Speed and wind makes a huge difference on the highway. I've gotten 13mpg doing 80 into a headwind, and 22 doing 65 when calm/slight tailwind.

As far as in town, how far is your average trip? Short trips (<3 miles or so) destroy mileage due to the engine running rich when warming up to temp. 13-15 would be normal if that was the case.

Just a few things to consider. Hope you enjoy the truck otherwise!
Pretty hard to enjoy a 200 dollar a month fuel bill when it uses to be about 75

·
Read Only
295 Posts
Pretty hard to enjoy a 200 dollar a month fuel bill when it uses to be about 75
Seems like you didn't have a truck before spending $75 on gas a month? If you read my post...thats pretty much it right there. Don't think its a Nissan Thing, ALL mid size trucks suck gas. This is why many just go to a full size truck since the gas mileage isn't that much different. It is what it is. If you had trucks in the past? You shouldn't be surprised by this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Had a 96 S10 pickup that still got almost 20 mpg.

·
Read Only
295 Posts
Had a 96 S10 pickup that still got almost 20 mpg.
S10 4 cylinder or the 6? If you had a 4 cylinder?? apples to oranges. If it was a V6? If you had the 4.3 V6 and you got 20mpg overall? Thats a unicorn truck. You also must understand that the S10 had a curb weight of about 3700lbs and the Frontier is around 4400lbs for the King Cab 4x4.

Again, it is what it is. Just enjoy the truck. MPG's in a truck shouldn't be a deal breaker and if your doing all the things I mentioned in my 1st post and you STILL have MPG's that are very low, then its your driving habits.

So you are telling us all here that you have checked the MPG's with a calculator and your getting 13 mpg's overall mixed driving in your truck? That is what your telling us? Because if its just city driving and that is what your getting? Hate to say it but that isn't too far off from normal for most folks on these forums.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
About one and a half miles to work one way then I go home for lunch and back to work then back home. I don't know maybe that's the culprit if you say that short trip driving is terrible for fuel economy.and when I'm driving I keep my RPMs under 1500 most of the time once in awhile it'll creep above that before it kicks into the next gear. I believe my driving habits are better than your average Joe.

·
Read Only
295 Posts
About one and a half miles to work one way then I go home for lunch and back to work then back home. I don't know maybe that's the culprit if you say that short trip driving is terrible for fuel economy.and when I'm driving I keep my RPMs under 1500 most of the time once in awhile it'll creep above that before it kicks into the next gear. I believe my driving habits are better than your average Joe.
Short trips are the WORST for fuel economy. Simply the worst. For any vehicle minus hybrids. They shine on short trips. What your getting in your truck is about what is expected under the circumstances.

On my recent visit to my folks which is about a 5 hr drive from my home. I asked my wife if I could take her new truck to show my parents. On the highway in her Pro 4x pictured in my profile I saw 20.4 mpg's with an average speed of 70-75 with the A/C set at 74. Though around town with her going back and forth to work and all, she gets about 14.

Coming from our 2015 Titan SV 4x4 Crew Cab that I traded in to get the Frontier for her, on the Same trip I was getting 17.6 mpg's to my folks house and she would get about 12 city. See not much of a difference? Thats how all trucks are. Weather you get a Chevy Silverado or a Colorado, a Tundra or a Tacoma. All trucks have one thing in common. Sucky Gas Mileage. Elon Musk may change that, Ford sure is trying, but to us normal folk that only can afford so much? This is the norm.

All and all, the truck is a great vehicle. Just drive it, enjoy it, and just try to plan your trips to save on gas. Thats about all you can do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
😓I hate that old saying," it is what it is" I guess.W
ell I'm still gonna keep investigating and if I discover something I'll let this forum know.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts