Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like I bought a gas guzzler. Recently bought a 2017 Frontier Pro 4X with only 19K miles on it. Yesterday went on a short highway trip here in Arizona. The road was mostly flat, I had cruise control set at 60 Mph, full tank of gas, new tonneau cover and nothing in the bed, one passenger and was getting 15.9 MPG. I couldn’t believe it was that bad, with a 6 cylinder engine. I have a 2012 Ram with a Hemi engine and I get up to 23 MPG with it. I wondered why someone sold such a nice looking truck with such low miles on it, now I know, it was the mileage ! Looking at the threads on this forum it looks like the mileage is something most people are complaining about.
Oh, well guess I’ll have to live with it, but really disappointed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Bought a 2019 pro ,4X with 6,000 miles. I get 11 to 13 in the city and I'm getting 17 to 18 on the highway. Perhaps the new 3.6 liter v6 will be much better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a 2018 Nissan Frontier Pro4x a little over a month ago. I have been tracking mileage since. The first tank was with alcohol blend gasoline and I averaged 18.2 in mixed highway/city driving. I would estimate 80% highway. I switched to No Alcohol and tried again. Next several tanks have been between 19 and 20 MPG. One mainly city tank was 17.4 (probably 80/20 the other way. My 2000 Ford Ranger never did any better with the 3.0L and was not nearly the truck. The truck weighs 4400 lbs which depending on equipment may not be that much less than your old RAM. I knew I was not in for great mileage when I purchased the truck but wanted something I can tow with and that would fit in my garage. My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Hemi showed a overall average of 14.7 over a several month period so I am not too concerned. If I wanted mileage I would have purchased the 4 cylinder with the 5 speed standard. I actually looked for a manual and impossible to find. Good luck. Try some no alcohol. I did the math and the alcohol is still the way to go but I like the real gasoline.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It was an eye opener going from the Rogue and buying gas every other weekend to this heavy 6 cylinder and going for gas at least once a week.
I feel you brother, could basically have a V8 full-size truck with the same mpg.

FWIW, my wife’s VW Tiguan gets shiddy mpg, it’s the FWD model and uses premium. Spend just about as much in gas with that as I do with the Fronty.. I really wish hers had the 4motion (VW AWD), but we couldn’t find one that had the color she wanted with all of the features she wanted.. compromise I guess 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
23 Posts
You could get better or the same mileage with a full size truck, but the price of the truck would be $10 -$20 thousand more.I have a 2017 Tacoma 4x4 with the 4cyl and manual transmission. I consistency get 18-19 mpg, but I don't have the power of the 6 and it's the base model truck. I'm considering trading or selling it and getting a Frontier.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well it looks like I bought a gas guzzler. Recently bought a 2017 Frontier Pro 4X with only 19K miles on it. Yesterday went on a short highway trip here in Arizona. The road was mostly flat, I had cruise control set at 60 Mph, full tank of gas, new tonneau cover and nothing in the bed, one passenger and was getting 15.9 MPG. I couldn’t believe it was that bad, with a 6 cylinder engine. I have a 2012 Ram with a Hemi engine and I get up to 23 MPG with it. I wondered why someone sold such a nice looking truck with such low miles on it, now I know, it was the mileage ! Looking at the threads on this forum it looks like the mileage is something most people are complaining about.
Yes, these trucks are thirsty. They have an old tech 4.0V6 and old tech 5 speeds. Comparing your Hemi Ram to this truck is like comparing apples and oranges. Your hemi ram had at least a 6 speed transmission as well as a multiple displacement system on the engine where it would drop to 6 or 4 cylinders firing when cruising. That saves a ton of gas. I drove a 2019 5.7L Ram as a rental for a few weeks and was amazed at the mileage I got even with a very heavy foot taking advantage of every inch of displacement. I had a 2003 with the 1st gen 5.7 before I moved into my 08 XTerra and then 15 Frontier and that thing would pass everything but a gas station. Averaged about 12 city and 19 highway.

The new 2020 with the 3.8V6 and new transmission and 9 speed transmission should greatly improve mileage, we'll see. Mine is almost paid for and the better mileage is not enough for me to trade and renew a car payment for a few more MPG's. Its exactly the same truck otherwise.

Want a Frontier that gets good mileage, sell yours and buy and 2020. You'll see from my signature block, Fuelly is reporting an average of 16.5 and that's an average from 2015 when I bought it brand new.

Otherwise, join the club. BTW, That would have been part of the due diligence I would have done before you bought one. Did you not do any research first??

·
Registered
2011 SV 4x4 Long bed, BFG TA KO LT Tires
45 Posts
It was an eye opener going from the Rogue and buying gas every other weekend to this heavy 6 cylinder and going for gas at least once a week.
Same thing for me. 2.5L 2010 Rogue, full tank, almost 2 weeks, nearly 350kms on mostly city driving, but had to trade it in to the 4.0L Frontier. Gas mileage was off from what i am used to, full tank 66-65 liters, max. 10 days and about 270-295kms on the tank with mostly city driving.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PS : gas is $2.93 average in Arizona
Yes, these trucks are thirsty. They have an old tech 4.0V6 and old tech 5 speeds. Comparing your Hemi Ram to this truck is like comparing apples and oranges. Your hemi ram had at least a 6 speed transmission as well as a multiple displacement system on the engine where it would drop to 6 or 4 cylinders firing when cruising. That saves a ton of gas. I drove a 2019 5.7L Ram as a rental for a few weeks and was amazed at the mileage I got even with a very heavy foot taking advantage of every inch of displacement. I had a 2003 with the 1st gen 5.7 before I moved into my 08 XTerra and then 15 Frontier and that thing would pass everything but a gas station. Averaged about 12 city and 19 highway.

The new 2020 with the 3.8V6 and new transmission and 9 speed transmission should greatly improve mileage, we'll see. Mine is almost paid for and the better mileage is not enough for me to trade and renew a car payment for a few more MPG's. Its exactly the same truck otherwise.

Want a Frontier that gets good mileage, sell yours and buy and 2020. You'll see from my signature block, Fuelly is reporting an average of 16.5 and that's an average from 2015 when I bought it brand new.

Otherwise, join the club. BTW, That would have been part of the due diligence I would have done before you bought one. Did you not do any research first??
First my 2012 Ram has a five speed transmission and I’m very happy with the mileage I get with it. My wife has a 2008 Toyota Avalon V6 that gets great gas mileage, granted it’s not a truck and that’s the extent of my experience with a six cylinder, however I also own a 2007
Ford Sport Trac truck with a small V8 that gets good mileage. My bad for assuming a V6
Mid size truck would get good mileage and not doing due diligence, or I would not have bought it. I watched several videos on You Tube before I bought mine and don’t recall any complaints about fuel economy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Agree with the others here. I get 13-14mpg around town, about 18mpg with cruise on the highway. I don't care - I didn't want to park a full size pickup, don't need the extra payload or towing, and paid half of what full size trucks or fully loaded Tacos cost. I like the nimble size, easy load height, and I think the stock exhaust is one of the best on any vehicle, never mind how much more reliable a Frontier is over any other pickup. It's fun to drive!

·
Registered
237 Posts
The road was mostly flat, I had cruise control set at 60 Mph, full tank of gas, new tonneau cover and nothing in the bed, one passenger and was getting 15.9 MPG.
Have to ask, but are you hand calculating or going by the trip computer? I can eek out 18.something MPG on freeway cruises, but I have a camper shell and a few hundred pounds of gear. I hand-calculate, but don't keep records. Nearly 16mpg seems possible if you were driving constantly into a headwind and/or had a net elevation gain.

Hopefully you got a deal on your Frontier. A full-size of comparable age and equipment doesn't get dramatically better fuel economy, but you get more space and capability for an increased price. The F150 5.0L gets 1 more MPG average and the 2.7L gets 3 more MPG average.

For me and many others, the jump in price (upwards of $10,000) to go full-size will never be recouped in fuel savings over the ownership period. I suppose you may get more money when you sell the full-size vehicle, but having a lot of money tied up in a depreciating asset isn't a good idea.

Now if you had a need for the capability and space, then the fuel economy of the Frontier might be the nail in the coffin to justify full-size or something else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You could get better or the same mileage with a full size truck, but the price of the truck would be $10 -$20 thousand more.I have a 2017 Tacoma 4x4 with the 4cyl and manual transmission. I consistency get 18-19 mpg, but I don't have the power of the 6 and it's the base model truck. I'm considering trading or selling it and getting a Frontier.
With the newer frontier not coming til 2021, a 2020 with the new v6 or a 2019 would be good buys.
Agree with the others here. I get 13-14mpg around town, about 18mpg with cruise on the highway. I don't care - I didn't want to park a full size pickup, don't need the extra payload or towing, and paid half of what full size trucks or fully loaded Tacos cost. I like the nimble size, easy load height, and I think the stock exhaust is one of the best on any vehicle, never mind how much more reliable a Frontier is over any other pickup. It's fun to drive!
Ditto. It's my mobile tackle box on the beach.

·
Banned
583 Posts
GeorgeJ, Where in the hell did you find a 2017,2.5, thats has 4wd. What country are you in, surely not the USA,they dont sell them here.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
GeorgeJ, Where in the hell did you find a 2017,2.5, thats has 4wd. What country are you in, surely not the USA,they dont sell them here.
I think he was referring to his Tacoma?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm looking at 2019's. I like the old proven models over new tech with all the bells and whistles. That's why I went with the 2.7 inline 4 cylinder with manual transmission. For me the Frontier reminds me a lot of my 2011 Ranger,only nicer and more updated, even in its current form.In fact I was considering a Frontier,until I drove the Tacoma. I thought the Tacoma had a roomier interior and was offered in 4x4 with a 4 cylinder manual

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just picked up a 2015 Pro-4x CC knowing the gas mileage wasn't great but I would rather spend the money at the pump and driving it vs sitting in a garage paying for repairs. :) All kidding aside, I also have a 2003 Jeep TJ 4.0l 5spd manual and it gas similar gas mileage which I am going to sell. Its always in need of some repair, spends more time in my driveway then on the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have to ask, but are you hand calculating or going by the trip computer? I can eek out 18.something MPG on freeway cruises, but I have a camper shell and a few hundred pounds of gear. I hand-calculate, but don't keep records. Nearly 16mpg seems possible if you were driving constantly into a headwind and/or had a net elevation gain.

Hopefully you got a deal on your Frontier. A full-size of comparable age and equipment doesn't get dramatically better fuel economy, but you get more space and capability for an increased price. The F150 5.0L gets 1 more MPG average and the 2.7L gets 3 more MPG average.

For me and many others, the jump in price (upwards of $10,000) to go full-size will never be recouped in fuel savings over the ownership period. I suppose you may get more money when you sell the full-size vehicle, but having a lot of money tied up in a depreciating asset isn't a good idea.

Now if you had a need for the capability and space, then the fuel economy of the Frontier might be the nail in the coffin to justify full-size or something else.
I was going by the trip computer, with no head wind.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts