Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
I don't think anyone is saying its not a good truck because of its annoyingly conservative gas gauge.
Of course not ,I know Tacoma owners who B*****d about the gas consumption and how much it took to fill

I think the general point here is I think we all realized we are not limited to just 245-65 miles on the Truck moded Trucks like mine I am getting at least 350 full to end and a Stock Truck shyt it will see 400 at best it's the mental thought of running out of gas is the problem

It's a safe bet for EVERYONE the gas light will come on when you have 6 to 5-1/2 gallons ln the tank
So I would assume since I have been monitoring this that you would have to calculate the current MPG on the OBD and multiply it by what is left at the time and again it should be 6 to 5 gallons left in the tank when the light comes on

I am not saying push it but you could calculate a little more distance off of that which I can say is fair since we now have figured the light shines when 16 Gallons have been used giving you a waning that this hungry engine will need gas soon Thoughts ?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Of course not ,I know Tacoma owners who B*****d about the gas consumption and how much it took to fill

I think the general point here is I think we all realized we are not limited to just 245-65 miles on the Truck moded Trucks like mine I am getting at least 350 full to end and a Stock Truck shyt it will see 400 at best it's the mental thought of running out of gas is the problem

It's a safe bet for EVERYONE the gas light will come on when you have 6 to 5-1/2 gallons ln the tank
So I would assume since I have been monitoring this that you would have to calculate the current MPG on the OBD and multiply it by what is left at the time and again it should be 6 to 5 gallons left in the tank when the light comes on

I am not saying push it but you could calculate a little more distance off of that which I can say is fair since we now have figured the light shines when 16 Gallons have been used giving you a waning that this hungry engine will need gas soon Thoughts ?
Its not a huge deal I would just prefer it if it were consistent with other vehicles I have owned. I know I am more OCD over it than most people.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would'nt waste time fretting over gauge accuracy, if you look at whats measuring tank volume you'd realize its doing a great job. It's 80 yearold tech, 25cents worth of wire with a plastic bubble on the end connected to a 2 dollar potentiometer
Its the same technology as other cars use and they don't show empty when you have a quarter of a tank left.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Its the same technology as other cars use and they don't show empty when you have a quarter of a tank left.
To be fair Nissan had the reverse issue years ago with reporting a quarter tank and it was empty lol
So realistically the struggle is real they don't know how to calibrate a Gas gauge :D

·
Registered
764 Posts
city driving does NOT help with our trucks... it really does improve drastically when on highway.... and don't go over 70

·
Registered
731 Posts
Pretty terrible on my 16 SV 4x4. I'm running terragrapplers an inch taller and I'm lucky if I get 280 on a tank.
If you read a few post I wrote you actually get more than that

Your gas light comes on after 16 Gallons I finally figured it out and the light comes on between 6 and 5 gallons left in the tank you can get more but the light thing is what makes us not want to take a chance but I am sure you can get a lot more

I have big tires lift brush guard etc ...I can get up to 340-50 I just made that happen when I went to Vegas one tank all the way one stop at 15.4 Mpg lol our Trucks be tricking us :p

Vegas is 272 miles from me I got home with the gas light on I had 5.6 gallons left in the tank and filled up with 16.5

·
Registered
298 Posts
Why the worry over the gas gauge. It has nothing what so ever to do with fuel mileage, you get the same mileage whether you fill up at empty or 1/2 tank,your mpg will never change.and being that your fuel pump runs much cooler when fully submerged in fuel it will last much longer if you always fill-up at half tank.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Its not a huge deal I would just prefer it if it were consistent with other vehicles I have owned. I know I am more OCD over it than most people.
I feel you. Years ago I had a Subaru with a similar problem, the gas gauge would report empty when the tank was clearly not. There was even a TSB about it because enough owners complained about the short range to empty. Basically, Subaru designed it with a reserve capacity that was quite a bit larger than most, to the point where only the top 2/3 of the tank was actually measured. IIRC, the tank was ~15 gallons but it read E on 5.

Incidentally, that particular Subaru was designed back when they were in partnership with Nissan.

Anyway, the idea was that it would prevent people from running out of gas, but for me at least it had the opposite effect. I quickly figured out how many miles I should get from the full tank capacity, and because I was young and stupid, I often pushed my driving close to that limit. This was before cell phones were affordable, and I put a few miles on my shoes walking to and from gas stations back then.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Why the worry over the gas gauge. It has nothing what so ever to do with fuel mileage, you get the same mileage whether you fill up at empty or 1/2 tank,your mpg will never change.and being that your fuel pump runs much cooler when fully submerged in fuel it will last much longer if you always fill-up at half tank.
Meh, I will risk having to replace my fuel pump early in exchange for having an accurate gas gauge.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If your really worried its really easy to bend your wire float rod so your really close to empty when the light comes on. Trade off is you'll drive for 100 miles before your needle moves off the full mark. You do have to drop your tank though.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If your really worried its really easy to bend your wire float rod so your really close to empty when the light comes on. Trade off is you'll drive for 100 miles before your needle moves off the full mark. You do have to drop your tank though.
I am not really that worried about it. It is just a pet peeve. I would rather b***h about it than fix it....

·
Registered
110 Posts
i own a 06 frontier 2wd 4.0 and do mostly freeway driving and i go about 250 miles on a tank of gas i am going to try a tune up soon and try to keep my foot out of the gas. what i really need is cruise control.

·
Registered
475 Posts
After 250 miles of freeway driving I am ready to get out and stretch my legs. I also tend to get gas when the gauge shows between half and 3/4.

Had an 09 Dodge Ram with a 32 gal tank. It had a range larger than my bladder. lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a Maestro RR it does the same thing and still not accurate

I can tell you when you fill your gas Tank it only registers 84-85% so what happened to the extra 15% guess you can say that is the reserve so in reality if we have a 21.1 gallon tank and you only get 85% max fuel up then this tank is really 16.5 gallons and the rest is reserve fuel which makes it false advertising in a sense because you can't drive up to 16 gallons before the fuel light is tripped

I really do hope Nissan does a better job with the next Gen especially fuel economy a recent article I just read pretty much said 5 reasons Nissan Frontier still sells

#1 All midsized Trucks get about the same fuel economy no matter how new (what a surprise ?)
#2 Cost vs Newer Trucks that are Feature Rich
#3 Oldschool Offroad Equipment that Works
#4 Reliable
#5 Fun to Drive (Any Frontier Owner could of told you this :p)

This article pretty much crapped on a lot of new Trucks for the fact their overpriced and too many gimmicks that drive the price point up

Also shouldn't cost as much as a RV or freaking Mobile Home House whatever

Can you link that article? :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
It's certainly a trade-off. Full size trucks are often a better overall value, some of which get better mpg than the midsize. I chose the Frontier for it's simplicity, known reliability and the way it drives. Added technology is not something I care much about, especially in a truck.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Can you link that article? :)
One article is from 2016 another is from this year https//:www.caranddriver.com/Nissan/Frontier

The other 2016 Trucktrend.com I can't copy and past links my PC is acting retarded right now I need to restart

I swear man i build top of the line pc's for gaming and windows 10 make them act like sh...….

41 - 60 of 90 Posts