Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding any Pro 4x owners gas mileage. Around how many city and highway miles are you getting per gallon? It seems like my truck is drinking wayyy too much gas.

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Fwiw, share your hand calculated tank averages for comparisons' sake...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Last 10 or so fill ups. If you use Fuelly and track each fill up and maintenance items it'll make it easy to see trends both up and down.

EDIT: Running Kumho Crugen HT51 tires which are great tires but they are a bit heavier and while a Highway tire they are 3 peak rated and a bit more aggressive than the OEM rubber so I did see a slight dip when I went to the Kumho's but they perform great in the snow, sand and wet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Around town/mixed highway it's anywhere from high 14's to low 18's, best highway-only tank I just barely got 21mpg, SV CC 4x4 Auto.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I remember my first few tanks of gas that registered 14 mpg or so. Pretty bad. I blamed it on winter and a new engine. It takes a while for the engine to break in; maybe 20k miles. I have seen a steady but slow increase in mpg. At 120k miles, my most recent readings have been 17.5 mpg for mixed driving with AC. Throughout the life of my truck I have driven Bridgestone Revos, an off road type which probably prevents me from going to 19-20 mpgs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What app are you using? When I purchased the truck it was missing the window sticker but I didn’t think it was a huge deal but I guess I’m the fool because I could’ve sworn I looked up the gas mileage considering that’s all I do with my job is drive. Apparently I didn’t, because I’m getting absolute terrible gas mileage. I’ve just been expecting much more out of it. When I checked my MPG setting on the dash it’s saying somewhere around 15-17 and all I do is drive on the highway. I just kept saying “there’s no way that’s right”... guess I was wrong lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
What app are you using? When I purchased the truck it was missing the window sticker but I didn’t think it was a huge deal but I guess I’m the fool because I could’ve sworn I looked up the gas mileage considering that’s all I do with my job is drive. Apparently I didn’t, because I’m getting absolute terrible gas mileage. I’ve just been expecting much more out of it. When I checked my MPG setting on the dash it’s saying somewhere around 15-17 and all I do is drive on the highway. I just kept saying “there’s no way that’s right”... guess I was wrong lol
I use the Fuelly app on iOS. http://www.fuelly.com/dashboard

At 15-17 that's right in the zone, these 4.0L 4x4's are not known for being frugal with fuel.

·
Registered
626 Posts
FillUp, on Android.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Last 10 or so fill ups. If you use Fuelly and track each fill up and maintenance items it'll make it easy to see trends both up and down.

EDIT: Running Kumho Crugen HT51 tires which are great tires but they are a bit heavier and while a Highway tire they are 3 peak rated and a bit more aggressive than the OEM rubber so I did see a slight dip when I went to the Kumho's but they perform great in the snow, sand and wet.

View attachment 307864
I ran a set of the Crugen HT51's on my 2006 Pathfinder. They were the best tire I had on them since I get rid of my Michelin LTX M/S2's, which are twice the price. I just had a set of them put on my '03 Frontier; after discounts and deducting the $50 rebate (VISA debit card) and disposing of the tires myself (which saved $16), it ended up costing me about $115 per tire, installed (P265/70R16). For a good, highway tread tire that's good in all types of weather, rides well and is quiet...plus has good treadwear life...they are hard to beat for the money!

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
The Kumho Crugen's are actually 5 lbs lighter than the same sized Michelin Defenders.
(33 lbs vs 38 lbs in 265/70-16)

·
Registered
20 Posts
2018 Frontier 4x4 SV 2-door king cab - I get a combined 18.6 and can get as much as 20 on the highway. Towing heavy loads or constant city stop and go driving, I get about 17.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The Heavily modified Frontier should be able to travel highway miles up to 330 miles full tank
I drove from Las Vegas back to my house in Laguna pulling over just once didn't get any gas kept going that was 272 miles my gas light came on right when I was about 20 minutes from home the DTE read 33 Miles while my Maestro read 48 or so

I drove all the way till the DTE said 14 now after getting home and unpacking etc I went to put gas I had filled up with 16.5 Gallons meaning I had 5 still in the tank I was getting with the MPG monitor 15.3 miles per gallon but I have basically solved the puzzle here
Depending on how you drive and how modded I would like to say normal stock trucks should see almost 400 miles on a tank

A modded Truck like mine 340 miles at best so what I would start doing is using a GPS to add it up true Highway miles street miles could be 300

·
Premium Member
5,117 Posts
Too bad a Maestro can't correct for taller tires.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Too bad a Maestro can't correct for taller tires.
That's my same thoughts ,Now I think we have a clear cut answer for millage with what I am seeing and I was hitting up to 80mph through GPS

So even with the Maestro it's off by 20 miles I am also looking into modifying the gas sensor to a more accurate one but I can't find anything on this subject

What I am finding out though this Truck can go a lot further than first thought but who ever did the math on when the gas light come on and reserve etc they need to go back to school and recalculate the logic on why people get so confused with this

Most cars turn the gas light on at about the 3 gallon mark but this Truck does it at 6 Gallons left the reasoning makes no sense because you actually have to do more calculating because of the Computer giving a 20% difference in fuel readings it really messes with your mind

·
Registered
10 Posts
2010 SE V-6 auto 104,000 miles 15.5 to 16.5 in-town driving. Combined 18.0 and 21-22 on the hiway.
In-town I’m easy on the gas and easy on the braking. Keeping tire pressure helps too

1 - 20 of 90 Posts