Nissan Frontier Forum banner

Gas Mileage

17K views 95 replies 38 participants last post by  JDUB19 
#1 ·
Gas mileage still running 14-15 mpg (13 worst, 16 best) after 10k miles on a 2016 Pro 4X with manual transmission.

Even my 2005 run hard would barely dip into the 14's... does this sound right?

#8 ·
Just bought a 2014 Pro4X about 8 days ago. It looks like I'm getting 14-15 in everyday driving -- 6000-7000 ft. elevation in and around town and up and down hills. We did a 200+ mile trip on Saturday to Bodie, CA and back and got just under 21. Was happy with that given it's going over some passes both ways.

#10 ·
2017 PROX I average a little over 18 mpg combined - love the fuelly app as well. I've gotten as high as 24 instantaneous while driving down the hwy at moderate speed and as low as 13 poking around town in Stop/Go Traffic. Overall I'm pretty happy with the MPG - not bad for a 4x4.

Attachments

#11 ·
I measured MPG in city stop and go traffic a few days ago and averaged ~16mpg for that portion of the tank (done the old fashioned way - filled up, set trip computer, drove 60 miles or so in the city over a few days and then topped off and divided trip mileage by gallons filled). 2016 SV V6 KC Automatic transmission, 4x2.

In researching mid-sized pickups, I learned that we buy these vehicles for the size and NOT for fuel savings - the newest breed of full sized pickups get similar fuel economy as the current breed of mid-sized pickups.

I am planning to add a tonneau cover over the coming weeks or month - we will see how that affects fuel economy.

#17 ·
I have stopped keeping track of my gas mileage on my truck. I find it is less bothersome to me if I am not sure how bad it is. I bought an Altima and drove it a few months but then my mother in law wanted to buy it from me. I was pretty happy to go back to driving my truck even if it is a gas hog. People worry too much about gas mileage. The actual cost savings you get by driving something good on gas is not really that big unless you have a very long commute. Most people might save $50 per month by switching from a truck to a economy car. Just take the family out to dinner one less time per month and you are even.....

#19 ·
I've been tracking every fill up on my 2017, and so far since new I've had 22 fill ups. My average is 20.14 MPG with a worst of 17.58 and a best of 22.53. I'm pretty happy with those numbers. Better than I was expecting based on what I'd seen from others.

#21 ·
Mine averages 18-18.5 in my weekly commuting. I hand calculate every fill-up, but surprisingly the trip computer is almost always correct. It might be a 1/10th or two off, but its dang close compared to other cars I've had. I use to use fuelly but I fill this thing up so much that got old quick.

I might have missed if some one mentioned this but... check your tire pressures OP. When I first got my truck they were about 30psi, I bumped them up to 38ish and that seemed to help quite a bit.

#22 ·
I always find it amusing that some people will say "hey its a <insertvehiclehere>, why are you concerned with MPG?".
changes in MPG or just poor MPG averages could be a sign something is wrong, and if you plan on keeping the truck for a long time fixing those issues would be beneficial in more ways than one.
If you get 20mpg over the course of 100,000 miles @ $2.00/gallon it will cost you $10,000 in fuel
If you only get 10mpg over the same 100,000 miles @ $2.00/gallon it will cost you $20,000 in fuel

Even though it's an exaggerated example, that's the idea.

And then people say "just drink one less starbucks coffee every day and it's the same thing". Well, I'd say you should do that anyway, AND fix the issue with your truck to get better mileage.

If you're not concerned with your mileage, that's cool. It's your truck, your money. I can't say I disagree to some extent. I have a ford focus that gets 32mpg and I choose to drive my 16mpg frontier pretty much every day.
And if the OP was concerned with a truck that gets the average 17 or 18mpg combined, then it would be a different story. 14mpg on a new truck that should be getting closer to 18 sounds like a valid concern to me...unless it's been modded, or is being driven under extreme(for lack of a better word) circumstances.

Of course, the OP didn't really give much information and could be towing boats up and down mountains for all we know.

#25 ·
I used www.fuelly.com for the entire 7 years I had my last Frontier. The lifetime of fill ups when I sold it was just about the same $27,000 I paid for the whole truck. I enjoyed every mile of it.

Clint

#24 ·
51 fill ups on my '16 Fronty since I bought it in November of last year. Lifetime average is 23.18 mpg, best tank so far is 24.62 and worst is 22.26 mpg. But, I also have a 2.5L, not the larger 6-cylinder, and very little of my driving is city, since I live in a fairly rural area. I drive almost exclusively on the highway.

#26 ·
I get about 15-16 mpg commuting to work and back and about 20 mpg on the highway. These trucks are not good on gas especially relative to their size. Maybe the next gen will have better technology and do better. I doubt it will be as sturdy though.

#27 ·
You never hear the owner of a Honda Civic complain about how their car will not tow a boat, haul lumber or make it up a rough trail. Every forum I have ever joined dedicated trucks or SUVs has at least one thread about how bad gas mileage is. Basically do not eat soup with a fork.....

#28 ·
This is true to a point. As others have said really poor fuel economy could indicate a mechanical issue. I get what the truck was rated for, no complaints there. But if its much worse something is going on. Its either the driver, or something going on with the truck.

As some one said above, nothing wrong with trying to gain an MPG or two. Over the life of the truck driving habits or making sure everything is maintained/mechanically sound could save the driver quite a bit of money on fuel.

#31 ·
I just got a 2017 CC SV with 77000 miles and I'm still figuring out my mpg. I'm literally getting 180(ish) miles from a full tank, in town driving. I've been driving it carefully, not taking it over 2500 rpms. Plus I've used many gas treatments. Marvel mystery, sea foam, berrymans B12. Best I ever got was 196 miles from a full tank( mostly city driving)

#35 ·
I just got a 2017 CC SV with 77000 miles and I'm still figuring out my mpg. I'm literally getting 180(ish) miles from a full tank, in town driving. I've been driving it carefully, not taking it over 2500 rpms. Plus I've used many gas treatments. Marvel mystery, sea foam, berrymans B12. Best I ever got was 196 miles from a full tank( mostly city driving)
What does this mean? You ran your tank dry? Or, until the low-fuel light came on?

Reactions: TwoWheelsDown
#32 ·
I gave up tracking it and just put gas in it when it needs it. If I happen to care about mpg I just look at the display on the dash. Since the truck knows every drop of gas that it injects into the engine I'm pretty confident that it's accurate. Besides, it's giving the same readings that I used to get with the tracking app, under the same driving conditions.

Plus I don't drive myself nuts worrying about it.

#34 ·
and you guys probably have a fair amount of wind over there so that makes it about even to living in hilly places. we have non stop wind here so my numbers are never great but that's the life of living along the gulf

#42 ·
Averaging about 18 mpg mixed, 20 -21 highway depending on load. Pretty happy, 2-3 mpg improvement over our xterra.
Its a truck, mileage is fine. Paid 24.9k for the truck. Paid 15k for a new 2014 5 speed focus hatchback, which I really like. 41mpg honest loaded highway mileage.
Bought both for less than msrp of a nice 4x4 f150.

#49 ·
Averaging about 18 mpg mixed, 20 -21 highway depending on load. Pretty happy, 2-3 mpg improvement over our xterra.
Its a truck, mileage is fine. Paid 24.9k for the truck. Paid 15k for a new 2014 5 speed focus hatchback, which I really like. 41mpg honest loaded highway mileage.
Bought both for less than msrp of a nice 4x4 f150.
I like those focus hatchbacks but man they are hard to find with a manual (non- ST model). I test drove the 3 cylinder turbo with a manual it had decent power - I’m sure excellent mpg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.