Nissan Frontier Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
I run it till the light turns on, then fill up till the pump shuts off, (20gallons or so). I sometimes leave my truck in idle while I run into 711 to get coffee and breakfast sandwich for my dad and i, which doesn't seem too long ( 5 mins maybe). Didn't realize idle can take that much gas.
It doesn't. Idling takes about half a gallon per hour at most.

The light turns on when you have about 3 gallons left. The tank is 21.1 gallons. If you're truly getting 180 miles on 20 gallons, that's 9 miles per gallon. Nine miles per gallon while feathering the throttle at 2500rpm as you mentioned clearly points to some other issue. But the only way to definitively know is if you start logging data instead of approximations.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Averaging about 18 mpg mixed, 20 -21 highway depending on load. Pretty happy, 2-3 mpg improvement over our xterra.
Its a truck, mileage is fine. Paid 24.9k for the truck. Paid 15k for a new 2014 5 speed focus hatchback, which I really like. 41mpg honest loaded highway mileage.
Bought both for less than msrp of a nice 4x4 f150.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
My low fuel light comes on when I've used roughly 17 gallons, meaning there's 4 gal in reserve.

Being a good boy w/ the skinny pedal, I can eek out 18-19mpg in my mixed driving.
Being a bad boy will drive it down to ~17mpg or slightly worse.
Being a bad boy is more fun and only costs ~$5/tank.

·
Registered
473 Posts
According to my Ultragauge I am getting 17.9 in mixed driving. I get around 16 or so in town and around 20 or 21 on the highway. If I fill up my truck when the light first comes on it only takes about 16 gallons. Maybe mine comes on even earlier than others. I think it is too conservative. For me I have 5 gallons left which is almost a quarter of a tank. If it came on at 3 gallons it would give me the illusion of a longer range. The Ultragauge tells me how many miles left until empty so I do not get too excited about the light.

I am not going to buy a new truck any time soon but when I do that is one thing I will look for is a longer range. Gas mileage might improve a little but trucks are never gonna be gas sippers. They can easily have bigger tanks though.

·
Registered
769 Posts
For me I have 5 gallons left which is almost a quarter of a tank. If it came on at 3 gallons it would give me the illusion of a longer range.
one thing I will look for is a longer range. Gas mileage might improve a little but trucks are never gonna be gas sippers. They can easily have bigger tanks though.
First time the light came on, I thought the truck was going to stall at any second. I think the gas gauge is woefully pessimistic, but I'd rather have it that way than the other way. The gauge should be like an airplane and say "For Reference Only. Check Fuel Level Manually".

Most late-model full-size pickups have an optional long-range tank. For RAM I think the standard is 23 gallons and the LR/ER tank is 33 gallons. For Ford it's 23 or 28 gallons (depends on the wheelbase) and the LR/ER tank is 36 gallons.

Titan used to make a 50-gallon tank for the F-150 and Tundra. 800+ miles between fill-ups!

Reactions: busemans

·
Registered
33 Posts
Lifetime average on my '18 V6 is 21 mpg. In normal commuting, it gets around 20 - 22 mpg. Pure highway it'll easily get 23 - 24 mpg, peaking a little under 26 mpg. I'm fairly satisfied with these numbers.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Oh boy another one of those magical trucks that gets almost 26mpg, How come I can never be lucky enough to find one of these rare jewels.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Averaging about 18 mpg mixed, 20 -21 highway depending on load. Pretty happy, 2-3 mpg improvement over our xterra.
Its a truck, mileage is fine. Paid 24.9k for the truck. Paid 15k for a new 2014 5 speed focus hatchback, which I really like. 41mpg honest loaded highway mileage.
Bought both for less than msrp of a nice 4x4 f150.
I like those focus hatchbacks but man they are hard to find with a manual (non- ST model). I test drove the 3 cylinder turbo with a manual it had decent power - I’m sure excellent mpg.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I really do not want to buy a full sized truck but I may do it eventually. It would be nice to have a big cruising range. I really prefer the size of my Frontier over any full size though.

·
Registered
473 Posts
The best I have ever seen my truck get was 23mpg. That was on a highway trip and I was alone in the truck. Interestingly I had 265/75/16s on it at the time. I am back to factory size now 265/70/16 and the gas mileage is a little worse.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts