Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading a bunch of you guys getting 18-20mpg but I'm more like 15-17 city 18-19 hwy. I have a 2006 crew cab Frontier. I guess the better gas mileage vehicles are newer. ? Any mods I can do beside the k&n air filter to get better gas mileage? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Your Mileage? Tires? is it aligned? driving type heavy/light? is your lifted/stock? it can be partially tire pressure? plugs? gas? alignment? it can one or a number of items contributing these are just some of the most obvious to start with

Reactions: Rickyachin

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sabre!!!108,000 miles ,aligned , 265 65 17 , not sure about plugs but needs them for sure. I never did the 100,000 tune up except replace the serpentine belt. I drive around 30 miles a day locally and the truck is stock.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm responding not because I know of mods to improve gas mileage (I don't) but simply to say it seems to me you are doing pretty well with it right now; at least, you and I are doing about the same and I think mine is normal to good. Plus, I see your truck is 4x4 which I think typically doesn't do quite as well mileage-wise. I'm guessing you are already using some or most of the common tips to improve mileage. If interested you will find many tips on fuelly.com; some are good, some seem crazy.

A couple of years ago I made a 300 mile round trip on a freeway that allowed me to go about a constant 55 mph. I got passed a lot but did get 25 mpg for the trip; and ever since I have bragged my truck gets 25 mpg highway, when I want to. I just don't want to very often.

·
Registered
608 Posts
See your running 17's diameter of your tires are larger your doing less revolutions over the same mile as the oem 16's did you calibrate or take that into effect when figuring your mileage if you didn't I don't know for sure but it's got to be around 5% difference so your right in the ballpark

Reactions: jwp1964

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm reading a bunch of you guys getting 18-20mpg but I'm more like 15-17 city 18-19 hwy. I have a 2006 crew cab Frontier. I guess the better gas mileage vehicles are newer. ? Any mods I can do beside the k&n air filter to get better gas mileage? Thanks guys!
A lot has to do with your particular driving environment, how you drive and the equipment for your truck. 4x4, V6 and automatic will eat more gas. My 2x4, 4-cylinder, 5-speed manual returns me 23+ mpg. But, I drive on flat roads in Florida, almost exclusively highway driving and I shift at low RPMs, rarely drive over 70-80 mph, etc.

From what I see on this forum, I am a statistical outlier as far as mpg goes. Yours seems consistent with about 70% of the Frontiers on here.

Good luck, but as they say, your mileage may vary. My current year fuel log is attached, so you can see it is possible to achieve good numbers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
A lot has to do with your particular driving environment, how you drive and the equipment for your truck. 4x4, V6 and automatic will eat more gas. My 2x4, 4-cylinder, 5-speed manual returns me 23+ mpg. But, I drive on flat roads in Florida, almost exclusively highway driving and I shift at low RPMs, rarely drive over 70-80 mph, etc.

From what I see on this forum, I am a statistical outlier as far as mpg goes. Yours seems consistent with about 70% of the Frontiers on here.

Good luck, but as they say, your mileage may vary. My current year fuel log is attached, so you can see it is possible to achieve good numbers.
I wouldn't say your an outlier. I would expect a 4 cylinder manual to have better gas mileage than the v6.

OP you could go to your dealer and look at getting the infill for the space between the body and bed, the tailgate spoiler and the forward air deflector for the wheels if you really want to. But if you spend $200 on these, how long will it take to get that back in fuel?

·
Registered
46 Posts
My new 4x4 auto SV CC does around 19 hw and 17-16 city. My 385hp 5.0 F150 got almost the same if not a little bit better.
I'm perfectly happy with my Frontier though, like a little mountain goat.::wink::

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your Mileage? Tires? is it aligned? driving type heavy/light? is your lifted/stock? it can be partially tire pressure? plugs? gas? alignment? it can one or a number of items contributing these are just some of the most obvious to start with
Sabre do you have any recommendations for plugs since we are on that topic?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Try and not go over 2000 RPM's.... does make a difference

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've heard the Fronty's be called a lot of things but a mountain goat that's new lol

Chat Kat the oe's are platinum it really boils down to whatever your flavor is I dont do any of those spitfire plus4 nonsense. I ran NGK's Autolite in my old F150 both the Camry's got NGK Iridium. For the Frontier I just went ahead and pu'd a cheap set of Autolite iridium other year with the stupid rebate it came out about $2.00/piece couldn't pass it up.

One word of caution I had made mistake once of not checking each plug when I brought a set was in a rush well when I got home and went to install I payed the price one of the new plugs in the pack was cracked and if ordering offline make sure the company will replace any with cracked porcelain.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I bought an older model Altima for my daily driver and just use my truck for fun stuff. It is more comfortable, much better on gas and it is keep the miles down on my truck.....

·
Registered
130 Posts
you're well within the normal range...

a lot of guys getting the real high mileage do 80-90% of their driving on the hwy and very little city.

I'm getting mid 15 right now and am 80-90% city driving (i live 2 miles from where i work).

·
Registered
3 Posts
That sounds about right. I live 2 km from work, lots of lights. If that week I don't take any longer drives my mpg is 13.5 ish mpg. That's with me being light on the peddle too.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sabre do you have any recommendations for plugs since we are on that topic?
I'm at 177km (~110mi) and I just put Denso Iridium TTs in. I've only got half a tank since I put em in, but I got maybe an extra 50-60km out of that half of the tank. I can't 100% say it was the plugs so... YMMV. (I've always wanted to say that in a relevant thread.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's my actual city driving

2016 Frontier Crew Cab, SV 4x4

I reload fueld after passing 300miles...

Fuel alarm start to lit at ~ 250mils

DATE Tank Miles Gals Fuel Brand Mileage Full Range
3/6/2017 21.00 250.10 15.475 Shell/Sams 16.16155089 339.39
3/13/2017 21.00 217.00 14 Sams/Sams 15.5 325.50
3/27/2017 21.00 260.00 17 Sams/Shell 15.29411765 321.18
4/5/2017 21.00 278.60 17 Shell/Shell 16.38823529 344.15
4/14/2017 21.00 301.00 18.6 Shell/Sams 16.1827957 339.84
4/25/2017 21.00 298.10 18.341 Sams/Shell 16.25320321 341.3172673
5/11/2017 21.00 304.90 18.86 Shell/Sams 16.16648993 339.4962884

·
Registered
544 Posts
you're well within the normal range...

a lot of guys getting the real high mileage do 80-90% of their driving on the hwy and very little city.

I'm getting mid 15 right now and am 80-90% city driving (i live 2 miles from where i work).
The absolute bulk of my miles are on the interstate with entire tanks being burnt out in a matter of hours and to date my 6 month old SV gets roughly 16.7 (-/+ .2) MPG as calculated by gas receipts... My OBD reader can show instant & average MPG and it always shows pretty optimistic around 19 to 20 MPH but as stated above the receipts do not support it. I do not drive overly aggressive but I do not waste time either as usually I'm on the CC doing 8 over the limit of 55 to 70 along the way..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I get 20 to 23 miles per gal on highway driving... My daily drive to work is half 35mph/45mph road and half freeway.... City driving is inefficient but i can't do much until freeway widening/improvement works are done to increase my freeway access to 80%....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fuel alarm turns on at 250miles...After data collection, i load fuel when i hit around 300 miles with another 40 to 50 miles to spare. That is on city driving fuel consumption at around +16miles/gal. My data shows that when i load when the fuel alarm turns on its always at 17 Gals. When i load at 300 miles the truck takes in about 18 Gals. The tank is 21 gal there's about 3 gals left.

This data for my driving conditions only...Don't assume is applicable to all....

I'm being careful not to run out of gas that's why i'm doing this on stages...

·
Registered
15 Posts
The CAR computer display instantanous fuel consumption at certain driving condition. It does not equate to the overall consumption cause of changing traffic condition. I track my consumption base my daily traffic routing. Its an average of the traffic condition per tank of gas.

When i want to check my freeway consumption. I fill up the tank then just drive straight on the freeway for 50 miles 75mph. Then reload... I get about 20 to 23miles /gal...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts