Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
My stock 2019 P4X AT is getting 13.5 to 14.7 mixed driving about 12 to 15 miles a day commuting. 8000 on the clock.

·
Premium Member
6,225 Posts
Short trips where engine never gets to operating temp is THE killer here. This 'can' take a toll on an engine and catalytic converters over time since they were designed to operate most efficiently at operating temperatures.

Drive your truck!!

Reactions: RamTest

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
I have a 2016 crew cab 4x4 with a 2” lift. No other mods but a KN air filter. I use Mobil1 synthetic oil. Always check miles and gallons of gas filled. I live in western pa and go hunting weekends so the truck sees some hills and slower 4 wheeling around. With 87 gas I get about 14.4 avg mileage. When I put in 92 or 93 octane, I have seen 19.4 with some highway driving. Still have the stock wheels and tires. Try some good gas. Doesn’t the owners manual say to use at least 90 octane? I need to look again
You will not gain any mileage from premium, the truck is tuned to run on regular. I got 16-23 mpg on my last 2 Frontiers. The only winner in your scenario is the fuel company.

Clint

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X Crew Cab
85 Posts
My city/highway mileage is 17-20mpg average

I only use regular Shell gas, full synthetic oil

DTE is about 550-570kms or 340-350ish miles

·
Super Moderator
10,585 Posts
I’ve been doing the Fuelly app since 1/2010, great app. I give all of info to the accountant each tax time. Couldn’t be any easier or better.

Clint

Reactions: TwoWheelsDown

·
Registered
2012 Frontier Pro-4X
41 Posts
I average about 15-16 MPG with daily driving. Have a 30 mile round trip city driving for work and not to easy on the gas sometimes. 2012 Pro-4X with Calmini plate bumper, leveling kit, and running 265/65 tires otherwise stock.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Yeah I recently moved and it's about 2 miles to work, not positive on weekly mileage but filling up every 2-3 weeks. LOTS of ~5 minute one way trips, mostly in hilly area. Occasionally jump on freeway but it's like once a week. So probably worst possible
2 miles, your engine is still warming up.

Hills, kill mileage....

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
IF I read this correct you are dividing the number of miles by 21 gallons. Not need to divide by the number of gallons of gas you actually put in the tank. When the gas light comes on it is typically only18 gallons empty.

When the truck is cold and going uphill, it is only doing 8 MPG or so. IF you are only driving 2 miles at a time you are not even warming it the engine.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I gave up recording fuel and mileage in an app. For me it's just a waste of time. Now I just put gas in it when it needs it.

Besides, since the truck's computer knows every single drop of fuel that it puts into the engine, I expect the mpg readout on the dash to be pretty accurate long-term.

·
Premium Member
2019 Frontier SV 4X4 CC A/T 2.5" lift
101 Posts
Ive only had the truck 2 months. Stock wheels/ tires, no lift. 35psi I believe. No heavy throttling, just hills like I said where I do have to open throttle a bit, not gunning it or anything though. Been roughly same before and after intake install (wasn't expecting much mpg wise, just like the sound). Didn't know if a tune or... chip, which I haven't heard good things about would help. Not sure about the oil in there as it came with truck and no sticker.. it's not low but planning on going full synth soon..

Tank is 21 gallon. Reset trip to 0 every fillip. Haven't gotten bone dry but when I fill up do the math (21 tank - gas added), divide by miles, and seem to be averaging 10-12 at best
Well, I'd be sure about every fluid and oil that is in your truck, and know the maintenance intervals on each.

Stock tires and unaware of the pressure in each of them is zero information, lol, that alone could be up to 20 percent of the bad mileage you're recording. Have you kept up with your rotations properly? Inspect your tires, fill to 35-40 psi. Mind you, even 32psi will rob you of about 1mpg from what I've tested.

The correct formula is odometer mileage divided by gallons filled at pump during that interval, reset and do it again at next fill.

Try 89 octane, and a fuel system cleaner, run through a whole tank of gas, then track the mileage on the subsequent fill up. Clean your MAF sensor for good measure since you put in a different intake.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Fill it up and take it on a long trip on the highway and see what the mileage is. If it's still low then you know something significant is wrong. If it's 17 to 19 mpg then it's probably just the short hilly drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fill up, set miles to zero, drive, fill up again. Miles driven divided by gallons of gas put in..... Every vehicle I own has the gas mileage showing a few more MPG than actual.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
10-12 mpg is about right.
That's all you will get when the engine never warms up, even with a smaller car.
Keep your rpms under 2,200 is the only way you will get more mpg's.

My last rental was a Chevy Impala with 18K. All driving was city.
City means a traffic light every 2 blocks...you never get to 3rd gear, ever. That's city driving.
Anyway, I got 12 MPG.

The upside...You're only driving 2 miles a day, or about a gallon a week.

I would suggest you take the long way to work, at least once a month. Take the highway and get things hot for 25+ miles.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
10-12 mph? That is horrible and caused by a short trips?!!!
That can not be right !!
When we race the Frontier, we are in 4x4 most of the time.
Always up and down on the throttle!
4:11 gears, full legal cage,engine ,bed cage,etc and I get 8-10mph.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I have a 2016 crew cab 4x4 with a 2” lift. No other mods but a KN air filter. I use Mobil1 synthetic oil. Always check miles and gallons of gas filled. I live in western pa and go hunting weekends so the truck sees some hills and slower 4 wheeling around. With 87 gas I get about 14.4 avg mileage. When I put in 92 or 93 octane, I have seen 19.4 with some highway driving. Still have the stock wheels and tires. Try some good gas. Doesn’t the owners manual say to use at least 90 octane? I need to look again
There is no way using higher octane fuel in a stock engine will increase you mpg, let alone raise it 5 mpg!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yeah sorry didn't mean to get anybody riled up. Only had the truck 2 months, less driving due to covid plus I think ive got it currently awaiting test results :-/. Its such little driving that a tank lasts so long im saving a ton on gas vs my 2010 impala 30 min each way to work. Ive got the feully app going now, will get full synth oil change + fluids when im better/ cleared.. but yeah from the 3-4x I've filled up ive reset the trip and done the math and it's always 10-12 mph skewing more towards 10.

·
Registered
5,317 Posts
My Dodge gets 15-16 mph towing the Frontier.
Something has to be wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Like I said, not a lot of trips and all are short. Best data I have is right after I bought it, filled it completely and reset. Drove till past light on, filled again, took 18.5 gallons leaving 2.5 in the 21g tank. Trip reading was 204 miles, giving me right at 11mpg. The rest have been top offs and quick math, curious to see what the app says. Makes sense though. City miles are bad but if you're only putting on 50 a week it's not that bad. Like I said, spending less on gas than my impala that had the digital thing that said 18-24mpg on average

21 - 40 of 50 Posts