Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as stated, I've got a 2019 SV 4.0 4x4. I live in a hilly neighborhood, work close to home, so not a ton of highway miles. Ive done some mods to the truck, but all are cosmetic minus the cold air intake I put on. So my issue is.. based on resetting odometer after filing up.. looks like im averaging about 10mpg. I don't drive "fast" or open throttle or anything.. i know city mpg is obviously lower but I'm not getting anywhere near the 15mpg/city listed on the vehicle. 17k miles, everything runs great, still under warranty. Is this normal or should I look into getting tuned or something done to help? Thanks in advance

Using regular 87 gas if that matters.. I rarely use 4wd also (like ~1% of the time if bad road conditions)

·
Registered
153 Posts
How many miles are you getting to the tank though ? I don't even calculate MPG, if i get around 335 give or take then that's a good tank for me. If its under 300 then it was crappy!

·
Premium Member
2019 Frontier SV 4X4 CC A/T 2.5" lift
101 Posts
Do you still have the air dam connected to the bottom of the front bumper? Is one of your cosmetic mods a lift? What tires are you running? What ply are the tires? What pressure are the tires at? Do you have a bunch of stuff in the bed?

At 17k miles you should be looking ahead to changing the oil in the front diff, transfer case, and rear diff which can help. Also, have a look at your air filter. Maybe switch to full synthetic oils.

All these things will affect mileage. I can tell you, that No matter what I do, I don't ever get below 13.8mpg even at 90mph with 300lbs of extra stuff in the back, but all of the maintenance is always spot on. I check the mileage every time I get gas.

When is the last time you got decent mileage?

Redline and Gumout have the highest concentration of PEA in injector cleaners out there. 87 octane is fine, higher octane won't help you unless you've added something to the tank. You can clean your mass flow off too, sometimes it can help. No engine codes?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I got 13 mpg last time I checked it, and that was taking it easy on the throttle. It was city driving using California ethanol added gas. Truck is a 2019 SV 2WD and has 3400 miles on it.
I also have a V8 Challenger and it gets close to 18 mpg in the city - both are 5 speed automatics. I’d expect the V8 would do worse than a V6... puzzling...

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Frontier Pro4x AT
147 Posts
Are you saying you filled up, reset, started driving and it's saying 10 MPG? Because if that's the case, I'd get more miles on it since it has limited mileage to get the average. If you had some fast acceleration, lots of idling, or steep grades, it's going to read lower than what you're going to average over the tank. We're also into winter blend fuel, if applicable. I average 16-17 mpg and have no air dams and a roof rack with mainly highway driving. I do punch it and usually hover around 75 mph.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ive only had the truck 2 months. Stock wheels/ tires, no lift. 35psi I believe. No heavy throttling, just hills like I said where I do have to open throttle a bit, not gunning it or anything though. Been roughly same before and after intake install (wasn't expecting much mpg wise, just like the sound). Didn't know if a tune or... chip, which I haven't heard good things about would help. Not sure about the oil in there as it came with truck and no sticker.. it's not low but planning on going full synth soon..

Tank is 21 gallon. Reset trip to 0 every fillip. Haven't gotten bone dry but when I fill up do the math (21 tank - gas added), divide by miles, and seem to be averaging 10-12 at best

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have a 2018 SV 4.0 4x4 Crew, no mods. Short trips in stop and go or hilly areas are really hard on our mileage. I drive one mile to work everyday in city, and then one mile home. Some days I take my kids to school, that's a mile in the other direction. My last tank was 12.1mpg. If I mix in some freeway trips on a tank, I'll get 15-17mpg. Best tank I've gotten is 21.2mpg all highway miles. I'm at 12k miles and use Chevron 87. I track mileage through the free Fuelly app.

·
Registered
844 Posts
but when I fill up do the math (21 tank - gas added), divide by miles, and seem to be averaging 10-12 at best
You just do (gallons of gas pumped in) / (the miles since last fill up).

21 minus the gas added will give you an inaccurate number.

How far are you driving? I can easily get down to 13mpg if I drive all city in 2-5 mile hops, and that's living where it's flat. Add in some hills and a lot of traffic lights, I don't see 10mpg all-city to be out of the realm of possibility.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sounds about right to me. I’m close to work, minor “hills”, lots of short trips (few miles). On those short trips I’m about where you are, give or take. I’ve noticed that any amount (even one minute) of idling after start up has a big time hit on the mileage, specifically when it’s a cold start.

but when I do a warm start, and drive a few miles taking it easy, I get to 14-16 for the trip easily, usually more if I’m on the right roads. But again, 10-13 is very normal for me with my short trips.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I estimate that I get around 13-16 mpg from my "16" king cab with a 4.0L... way
worse than i got with my last truck... a 4.7l dodge which got like 16 to 21 mpg.
But WTF... I'm 6 months away from retirement and it's paid for. I have a very
good retirement plan... I'll live with it I'll just be doing hobby like work..
But yeah it sucks if it's a daily driver, but i can haul a ton of crap to the
landfill if I need to and it never even hiccups if I need to (after replacing the
suspension)..

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
The formula you wrote is wrong. But it is so wrong that you would be getting 100 mpg. I think you are actually using the correct formula.

I remember that it took a year for the rings in my truck to settle in before the engine gave me 17-18 mpg. But it was never as bad as 10-12 mpg. Over the years we have had several owners claiming very bad mileage similar to your experience. They never come back and post a resolution to their problem so my street knowledge in this matter is not large.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Your truck came with a cold air intake from the factory. If your current intake is drawing air from under the hood, it's likely warmer that what the Nissan factory intake brings in.

Other than that, your right foot has more control over gas mileage than almost anything else.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2016 crew cab 4x4 with a 2” lift. No other mods but a KN air filter. I use Mobil1 synthetic oil. Always check miles and gallons of gas filled. I live in western pa and go hunting weekends so the truck sees some hills and slower 4 wheeling around. With 87 gas I get about 14.4 avg mileage. When I put in 92 or 93 octane, I have seen 19.4 with some highway driving. Still have the stock wheels and tires. Try some good gas. Doesn’t the owners manual say to use at least 90 octane? I need to look again

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I recently moved and it's about 2 miles to work, not positive on weekly mileage but filling up every 2-3 weeks. LOTS of ~5 minute one way trips, mostly in hilly area. Occasionally jump on freeway but it's like once a week. So probably worst possible

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah I recently moved and it's about 2 miles to work, not positive on weekly mileage but filling up every 2-3 weeks. LOTS of ~5 minute one way trips, mostly in hilly area. Occasionally jump on freeway but it's like once a week. So probably worst possible
short trips will kill your mileage. I’m in the same boat, about 5 miles to work (actually 0 these days working from home) and I rarely leave a 10 mile radius of my house.

I’m usually around 16, yesterday I filled up at half a tank and got 13.8 on the Fuelly app I use.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
I track all my miles using Fuelly app, even using my Frontier doing Lyft, my life if vehicle MPG is 15.6.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
I got 13 mpg last time I checked it, and that was taking it easy on the throttle. It was city driving using California ethanol added gas. Truck is a 2019 SV 2WD and has 3400 miles on it.
I also have a V8 Challenger and it gets close to 18 mpg in the city - both are 5 speed automatics. I’d expect the V8 would do worse than a V6... puzzling...
13 mpg in a 2wd is hard to believe. I get 18mpg around town with my 4wd.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4 6 speed
156 Posts
i have a 2018 fronty SV 4x4 6 speed stick and this past summer i was hitting 20mpg pretty consistently using 89 octane and running around both in town and a bit out of town. truck is all stock except for a bull bar up front and a pair of step bars. hell i even hit the 20mpg mark while hauling the canoe everywhere a couple times. now with cold weather being here i switched to 87 octane with 10% ethanol and on my 3rd tank of that and my math has come out to be between the low 15s to low 16s thus far mostly town driving and very little out of town. my mileage will probably go down when it gets even colder out and starting the truck and letting it warm up and idle before i head to work probably doesnt help with mileage. when i bought the truck brand new we were slapped with a lot of snow the very next week and the truck at that time didnt even have 1k miles on it and i was driving in 4wd all the time and the math had me at 8mpg using 87 octane with 10% ethanol. now im sitting at just over 15k miles and i always try to fill up when i hit the half tank mark

·
Registered
565 Posts
2018 Pro-4X with 2” lift. I live in a hilly neighborhood as well and get about 14 mpg on short trips around town keeping it mostly in 3rd gear (auto trans). On a recent long road trip I was getting 20-21 mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
5,314 Posts
Do the gas mileage the old fasion way.
Forget the omputer.

Reactions: ssundet
1 - 20 of 50 Posts