Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I look at Gas Buddy today and after doing the math I am paying $.23/ litre more for gas than the most expensive gas in the U.S., Hawaii!! :crying:

The real burn is wanting to put a pipeline across the province and ship MORE of our raw materials off shore to be bought back by us at a premium.
Let's stop the selling off of our natural resources and put our own people to work turning them into finished products that we can purchase at a more reasonable price. :pullout:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Your gas should still should be bought in Canada. Alberta has numerous refineries and I know Saskatchewan does as well, so your probably getting it from Edmonton unless there is a refinery in BC somewhere.

·
Rogue Admin
12,840 Posts
we produce enough oil here in Canada to supply 97% of our needs. USA gets more oil from Canada than almost all other countries combined. There is no longer a need to pay a premium for foreign refined fuels as we did in the past, but hey, those oil companies know a good thing when they see it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still burning

So oil is now under $50/barrel and we are still paying over $1/litre. I wrote my MP and he tells me that there are 14 refineries across Canada. Seems like a pretty small # to me. Out here on the west coast we seem to get screwed harder than most on gas what with all the taxes, transit levies and such. If someone sneezes at a refinery it seems to put up the price "the refinery is shut down for refurbishing, repair, redecorating etc.", doesn't matter that we're not really short on gas it's just a good reason to butt @*#& the general public.

·
Registered
458 Posts
In BC we pay:
$0.10/L federal excise tax
$0.21/L Provincial excise tax
5% GST

In Vancouver you get bent over, on top of the above tax:
$0.066/L Air care tax (carbon tax)
$0.17/L Transit tax
I will say Vancouver has great transit service though. I've used it quite a bit when I was doing some courses at BCIT marine campus and staying w/ my B-inlaw.

So about 31% of what we pay is tax, more if you live in Vancouver.

Hawaii, I think it was over 40% of the gas price is tax. Funny thing about Hawaii fuel prices. ALL (100%) of their gas comes from Indonesia. When Indonesia had that massive earthquake and the tsunami my gas prices there didn't rise one cent. Yet, when there was a hurricane in the gulf it went up like 20cents. Even though the supply wasn't even remotely altered. It's all a price fixing scheme.

·
Premium Member
4,781 Posts
In BC we pay:
$0.10/L federal excise tax
$0.21/L Provincial excise tax
5% GST

In Vancouver you get bent over, on top of the above tax:
$0.066/L Air care tax (carbon tax)
$0.17/L Transit tax
I will say Vancouver has great transit service though. I've used it quite a bit when I was doing some courses at BCIT marine campus and staying w/ my B-inlaw.

So about 31% of what we pay is tax, more if you live in Vancouver.

Hawaii, I think it was over 40% of the gas price is tax. Funny thing about Hawaii fuel prices. ALL (100%) of their gas comes from Indonesia. When Indonesia had that massive earthquake and the tsunami my gas prices there didn't rise one cent. Yet, when there was a hurricane in the gulf it went up like 20cents. Even though the supply wasn't even remotely altered. It's all a price fixing scheme.
I've been saying it's an Effing scam for years. Someone farts in Missouri and the price goes up 50 cents. The barrel price hits an all time low and it takes months for it to creep down penny by penny. As soon as I saw a gas station change a price when there was no new delivery of gas, I knew it was all made up.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
After 27 years of lowermainland tax . I moved north ,to Prince George. Now we actually have a refinery here in town , but still have to pay the high prices , even though the transportation costs are next to nothing. Its definately price fixing .

Mac

·
Rogue Admin
12,840 Posts
tax money - they need it. Let's see if Trudeau gets the driver's seat - hello Carbon Tax
Well well well, I seemed to have called this before the election even. I didn't vote for him

1 - 12 of 12 Posts