Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a future truck buyer and a Frontier is looking like the top choice at the moment.

Apparently, the popularity of less-than-full-size trucks is not too good right now, and that is why many of the designs are kind of old. I have to wonder if demand would pick up if the manufacturers were to improve them.

Here's my thinking on truck choices for me. Ford Ranger is way old and has terrible reviews. The gas mileage is no better than a full-sized F-150. But, a full-size pickup offers nothing extra for my hauling needs and will barely fit in the garage. (Especially the new F-150 that is about 18 feet tall.)

The Tacoma has good reviews and seems nice, but the truck is WAY overpriced. It seems I can buy a nice F-150 for the same money. And the Tacoma interior looks like it is straight out of 1995.

I'm not even going to mention the GM or Chrysler products. Just look at the safety and reliability ratings.

That leaves the Frontier as a stand out, sadly only because there is not much reason to reject it. It would be nice to see more availability at the dealers. It would also be nice to see a re-design that would give it more impressive gas mileage.

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
They just refreshed the front end in 09 so dont expect a major change just yet and MPGs in stock form it can get 20ish on the highway, at the end of the day its still a truck

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I can find one, I'm going to test drive a 2010 4WD SE V6 with AT. (Hopefully this weekend if the work schedule allows). What are some of the highlights and low-lights I should watch for?

Also some practical maintenance questions: Does the engine use a timing belt or chain? Is the AT drainable? Is the exhaust system stainless steel?

·
Super Moderator
12,314 Posts
If I can find one, I'm going to test drive a 2010 4WD SE V6 with AT. (Hopefully this weekend if the work schedule allows). What are some of the highlights and low-lights I should watch for?

Also some practical maintenance questions: Does the engine use a timing belt or chain? Is the AT drainable? Is the exhaust system stainless steel?
The engine has a timing chain. The trans pan has a drain plug. As far as I know the exhaust is not stainless steel. I've gotten 24.4 mpg with a 4X4 auto trans Frontier.

Clint

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. Wow... Nissan dealers around me don't have many 4x4s in stock. According to the Nissan web site, the most any dealer has is two. Some don't have any. And I'd better like silver or black as a color.

Nice to know about the drain plug on the tranny. I have heard that some cars these days have sealed transmissions. Personally, I'm a believer in an occasional drain and fill to prolong transmission life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.