Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thank you,

I have a 2000 V6 3.3 Fronti. Had it when just turned 60k in2004, currently has very close to 300K and want to take it to 500K or more. Love my truck.

A few years back (4 or 5) had a head job done to it. It has not been the same since. I moved from Chicago IL in 2015 to Indianapolis, IN, and I am having some funky issues....

3 years ago, started to overheat, had water in the radiator, and the overfill was to the mark. I needed to commute to Chicago for work, and it got to be a nightmare as it would overheat all of the time.

What I noticed was that the water would go from the radiator to the overfill, but would not be suck back to the radiator, so it would just blow out of the container all over the battery.

Since I was a bit short of money I removed the thermostat, and Voila! no more overheating. That meant that in winter it will not heat up enough to blow hot air. I am dealing with that... no issue there.....

Lately, would seem that if I get to go to 75 or 80 mph even for a short time, it starts to shoot the water of the container, just like when I had a thermostat.

I am very sure that I blew a head gasket, because I can smell fumes from the overflow container. I know that I will need another head job, what I dont want to is repeat the same overheating issue.

I am debating between a head job or just purchase a rebuild motor.

Any ideas what could be causing to spew the radiator fluids??? (water pump does not leak or makes noises..)

On a side note, every time after I turn the motor off, I can hear gurgling under the dash, passenger side.....

Thank you so much

Gus
2000 Frontier 3.3 V6
CrewCab
300k miles.
Rear wheel drive, Auto

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
.I dont have a thermostat installed on it, and I have not had one in a couple of years...
Running without a thermostat is a BAD idea. Your engine will take much longer to warm up, and that causes significantly more wear, less efficiency....plus won't help a running hot issue...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Cusser,
You are correct, it does take some time to warm up, but, I rather deal with a bit of chill that seeing the needle climbing up like a monkey on fire.... Last year I took everything from the inside of the cab, and installed Second skin sound deadener plus foam insulator. They combined made a great difference in sound and temp.
As soon as it gets a bit warmer I have to make the decision:
a) Replace the head gaskets, and do some valve adjustments, and God knows what else.... or
b) Swap the engine.

As I said, I love my truck, even with its lousy gas mileage... 16 to 18 mpg, with a tail wind and a prayer..

Anyway, thank you for your feedback.

Gus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts