INTERIOR:
auovo Anti Dust Mats/Liners
Scosche MAGDMB MagicMount
Pathfinder Window Switch Covers

AUDIO/VIDEO:
Stubby Antenna

EXTERIOR:
BAK Industries Roll-X Tonneau Cover
OEM Genuine Nissan Side Window Deflector Set (999D3-BT001CC)
OEM Genuine Nissan Step Rails (999T6-BR007)
Offroad Gorilla Hood Strut Kit
Dauntless Tailgate Assist Kit
OEM Genuine Nissan Tailgate Extender (999T7-BX290)
Rough Country Bull Bar with LED Light Bar

LIGHTING:
Katana LED Headlight Bulbs
LED Foglight Bulbs

Map and Dome LED Light Bulbs
License Plate LED bulbs

DRIVETRAIN:
Offroad Gorilla Rear Axle Differential Breather Vent Kit

SUSPENSION & TIRES:
Desert Runner/Pro-4x Wheels
265/75/R16 Toyo Open Country A/T Tires

GEAR & OTHER:
OEM Genuine Nissan Adventure Medic Kit (T99A4-9BU0A)
OEM Genuine Nissan Off-Road Adventure Kit (T99A3-9BU0A)

COMING SOON:
Cerakote Ceramic Trim Restorer

86ed:
UnderCover SwingCase Tool Box

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
OUT WITH THE OLD

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Sky

I had this 2010 Scion TC for the last 6 years. I switched out the grill but otherwise left it completely stock. It was a great reliable and economical car.

I bought my first home this year and quickly realized I needed a truck.

Car Vehicle Hood Plant Motor vehicle

Plant Hood Tarpaulin Automotive lighting Automotive tire

My family has some property on the Yellow River where I love to camp and fish. My Scion couldn't make it down the dirt roads and trails to get out there so I wasn't able to make it out there as much as I would like to.

Plant community Boat Shade Biome Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

Fire Automotive lighting Tree Heat Wood

IN WITH THE NEW

I was pretty set on either getting a Pro-4x or Desert Runner. One of my friends in high school had a 1st gen Desert Runner that I loved and had always wanted one. With the current market I couldn't find a Pro-4x in my price range that did not have a ton of miles or wasn't ragged out.

I eventually found a decently priced 2015 Desert Runner that was in great condition about an hour away. Here is the first picture I took when I got it home.

Tire Car Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
AUOVO ANTI DUST MATS/LINERS

My truck was missing the OEM cup holder inserts when I bought it. I found these replacements on Amazon and quickly ordered them:
Joytutus Cup Holder Insert 2 Pack Replacement Compatible with Nissan Frontier 2005-2019 Pathfinder Center Console Cup Holder Insert 2005-2012 Xterra 2005-2015 96975-EA000 96975-ZS00A

These ended up fitting great.

While I was searching for the cup holder inserts I stumbled across some dust mats/liners made specifically for Frontiers. I went with the ones that had yellow trim to compliment the Desert Runner logos:
auovo Anti Dust Mats for Frontier Crew Cab 2005-2019 Xterra Accessories 2005-2015 Custom Fit Door Pocket Liners Cup Holder Pads Console Mats(24pcs/Set) (Yellow)

Car Motor vehicle Gear shift Vehicle Radio

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive lighting

The fitment on dust mats is good for the most part. The insert for inside the center console did not seem to fit at all so I left it out. I also left out the mats for the cup holders on the rear of the center since they have to be taped on. Mine also seemed liked they would have to be trimmed in order for the cup holders to be able to be closed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OFFROAD GORILLA HOOD STRUT KIT

Nissan Hood Strut Kit, Hood Rod Eliminator

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Plant Grille

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car

Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Auto part

These are pretty awesome! Kit seems to be good quality. The fender brackets on mine came pre-attached to the struts, but the passenger side was attached to the driver side strut/hood mount and vice versa. It took me longer than it should have to figure this out. Installation was quick and went smoothly after that though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
TAILGATE EXTENDER

My truck had an UnderCover SwingCase toolbox on it when I bought it.

Automotive tail & brake light Hood Grille Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I knew I needed a tailgate extender way more than the toolbox, so I removed it and installed an OEM Genuine Nissan Tailgate Extender (999T7-BX290).

Nissan Genuine Parts - Authentic Catalog Part from The Factory (999T7-BX290), Black

Car Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Automotive parking light Grille Hood Vehicle Automotive tire

Installation was straight forward and it came with the non-sliding/non utilitrack brackets, which slip behind the bed liner and are bolted in behind the OEM tie downs. It uses the same bolts that come with the OEM tie downs, which are not included with the extender.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
OFFROAD GORILLA REAR AXLE DIFFERENTIAL BREATHER VENT KIT

While I was researching the truck before I bought it, it became apparent that one of the first things I should do is replace the rear differential breather. I decided to go with the Offroad Gorilla kit purely for the convenience.

Rear Axle Differential Breather Vent Kit, Xterra, Frontier & Titan

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Another easy upgrade. The original was not gunked up and moved freely up and down, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I routed the tube along the frame and up behind the tail light using the supplied zip ties.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Very cool! Makes me want to modify my 2013 S 2.5 litre automatic into a Dessert Runner - but its turning circle is too wide to go through the drive thru at the worlds highest volume Dairy Queen. It can barely handle the KFC drive thru so I guess that makes mine a Chicken Runner rather than a Dessert Runner.

Yes, I am hungry.

Reactions: FunkLord

·
Registered
585 Posts
Nice mods you got going. Why is it called a desert runner, does it come factory with stuff to tackle deserts better than a non desert runner?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very cool! Makes me want to modify my 2013 S 2.5 litre automatic into a Dessert Runner - but its turning circle is too wide to go through the drive thru at the worlds highest volume Dairy Queen. It can barely handle the KFC drive thru so I guess that makes mine a Chicken Runner rather than a Dessert Runner.

Yes, I am hungry.
Haha, too funny. You should get some Dessert Runner decals made up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice mods you got going. Why is it called a desert runner, does it come factory with stuff to tackle deserts better than a non desert runner?
Thanks man! It's basically a Pro-4x without 4wd. It gets the bigger wheels/tires and the Bilstein 4600's like the Pro-4x.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OEM GENUINE NISSAN ADVENTURE MEDIC KIT AND OFF-ROAD ADVENTURE KIT

Leg Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

I was originally looking at the OEM first aid kits that came in the Frontiers/Xterras when I came across these adventure kits that come in the Titans. I loved the digital camo bags they came in and the first aid kit is actually pretty decent. They both just barely fit in the storage under the rear passenger seat.

OEM Genuine Nissan Adventure Medic Kit (T99A4-9BU0A)

Outerwear Green Textile Sleeve Rectangle

Outerwear Rectangle Sleeve Grey Bag

Rectangle Luggage and bags Bag Tints and shades Automotive exterior

Green Font Line Material property Pattern

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MAP AND DOME LED LIGHT BULBS

I replaced both map lights and the dome lights with LEDs from superbrightleds.com. I ended up going with these:

DE3175 LED Light Bulb - (4) SMD LED Festoon Bulb - 3022 Base Cool White 5630 SMD

Automotive lighting Window Automotive mirror Vehicle Car

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive mirror

I could barely see with the original halogen bulbs. These are way brighter, but not obnoxiously so (at least in my opinion).

Installation was easy. I used a small flat head screw driver to carefully pop out the clear plastic housings.

These were super cheap so I grabbed extras just in case any fail.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PATHFINDER WINDOW SWITCH COVERS

I got the complete set of Pathfinder window switch covers from nissanraceshop.com:

OEM Pathfinder Window Switch Cover Set

I wanted something to break up all the grey plastic and these definitely helped.

Before:

Plant Speedometer Gear shift Car Wheel

After:

Wheel Vehicle Car Speedometer Plant

Car Vehicle Automotive design Head restraint Car seat cover

Automotive design Personal luxury car Vehicle Tints and shades Automotive exterior

These match spot on to the steering wheel and radio bezel trim:

Steering part Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Steering wheel

Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SOFT TONNEAU COVER RESTORATION

The tonneau cover that was on my truck when I bought it was dirty and a little faded. I tried washing it with regular car wash soap and a sponge, but it didn't really do much at all.

After a bunch of research I decided to try this kit from 303:

303 Convertible Vinyl Top Cleaning and Care Kit

The kit doesn't come with a soft brush like the instructions recommend so I went with this one:

Chemical Guys Acc_S94 Convertible Top Horse Hair Cleaning Brush

This photo was taken a week after I washed it with a regular car wash soap and a sponge. I also dressed it with Chemical Guys VRP:

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Land vehicle

I did several passes using the brush and cleaner. I was pretty surprised at how much dirt/grime it was getting out.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Car

I ended up letting that dry overnight and then did a coat of the protectant. Here is the end result:

Plant Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tree

It has been 2 weeks since I did this and it is still looking as good as the day I did it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
KATANA LED HEADLIGHT BULBS

KATANA Fanless 9007 LED Bulbs | 12000LM 60W Wireless HB5 All-in-One Conversion Kit | PHI Chips Super Bright 6500K Xenon White Halogen Replacement

I replaced the Sylvania SilverStars that were on the truck when I bought it with the Katanas. These are a huge improvement over the SilverStars and I'm very happy with them so far.

The truck had the fog light LED bulbs when I bought it. I'm unsure of the brand.
Were these Katanas the new "Fan-less" ones? Just curious as I am considering buying some. Do they get hot at all being fan-less?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts